What has Penney done?

“I’m in charge, we’ll do it my way” only works if you’re good as a manager and achieving results. Otherwise you’re cutting your own throat, as Monk is currently doing.

Inevitable conclusion I am afraid, just a matter of time unless he suddenly turns this around.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

“I’m in charge, we’ll do it my way” only works if you’re good as a manager and achieving results. Otherwise you’re cutting your own throat, as Monk is currently doing.

Inevitable conclusion I am afraid, just a matter of time unless he suddenly turns this around.

We've been in this situation before with managers who refuse to change their ways because they think it will make them look weak or something

Think Megson was a prime example

Owlstalk Shop

Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to at least restore Penney to the bench. He didn’t.

Rhodes is arguably a token substitute because he never uses him?

Whether they played well individually or not they were part of a team that picked up 4 points from a possible 6 in a difficult looking opening two games. And there reward, banished from the starting 11.

This is what p!$$e$ me off about Monk’s management style. He changes line-ups for the sake of it rather than necessity. Invariably the changes result in us doing worse but does the stubborn **** admit he’s wrong? Never?

As I’ve said before he must be a right **** to play for as you could do well one game and find yourself on the bench or totally out of favour the next?

While the Chairman persists with him, he’s just putting off the inevitable IMO?

As a few have already alluded to Monk’s hanging on for grim death because he knows that if he walks or loses his job here, then the likelihood of him gaining employment elsewhere relatively soon is very unlikely?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to at least restore Penney to the bench. He didn’t.

Rhodes is arguably a token substitute because he never uses him?

Whether they played well individually or not they were part of a team that picked up 4 points from a possible 6 in a difficult looking opening two games. And there reward, banished from the starting 11.

This is what p!$$e$ me off about Monk’s management style. He changes line-ups for the sake of it rather than necessity. Invariably the changes result in us doing worse but does the stubborn **** admit he’s wrong? Never?

As I’ve said before he must be a right **** to play for as you could do well one game and find yourself on the bench or totally out of favour the next?

While the Chairman persists with him, he’s just putting off the inevitable IMO?

As a few have already alluded to Monk’s hanging on for grim death because he knows that if he walks or loses his job here, then the likelihood of him gaining employment elsewhere relatively soon is very unlikely?

I play a game now on Owlstalk

I look for any thread where it shows Jim has replied to it

It could be about Garry Monk, It could be about Chansiri, could be about a player, could be about the referee, could be about season tickets, could be about the Megastore

Before I click it I chuckle and think to myself "I bet old Jim's trying to turn it into a thread about how crappy Monk is"

I'm NEVER wrong

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I play a game now on Owlstalk

I look for any thread where it shows Jim has replied to it

It could be about Garry Monk, It could be about Chansiri, could be about a player, could be about the referee, could be about season tickets, could be about the Megastore

Before I click it I chuckle and think to myself "I bet old Jim's trying to turn it into a thread about how crappy Monk is"

I'm NEVER wrong

It all comes down to the same thing Neil, does it not? There’s a poor atmosphere around the club and he’s as much to blame for it as anyone?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We've been in this situation before with managers who refuse to change their ways because they think it will make them look weak or something

Think Megson was a prime example

Dave Jones. Remember when he did everything he possibly could not to play Chris O’Grady. He signed Mamady Sidibe instead. O’Grady went out on loan to Barnsley in the same league and ended up scoring a shed full.

I’ve seen this all before with managers at Wednesday. It’s going poorly but they stick to their stubbornness and principles. Carlos was the same.

On 07/11/2020 at 14:04, FreshOwl said:

The better question would be what’s he done right? 

I always love threads like this. A slight dig at the club for not playing someone who has proved absolutely nothing 

Some may say he hadn’t had the chance to prove himself. He has a bad game after an excellent game and suddenly he’s out for weeks. 

Its a load of tosh.

Guest Jack the Hat
On 07/11/2020 at 10:43, theowlsman said:

“In that frying pan you have to deliver”.

Football folk do use some ridiculous language.

I think he meant - in the frying pan you sometimes do liver.

He fries stuff, Carlos preferred a BBQ. Vive le difference I say.

On 07/11/2020 at 10:35, @owlstalk said:

They do and posted what it is/was but we agreed (and they asked) that it should be taken off as it could get people into trouble

*note before anyone starts* this doesn't mean anything illegal or sinister has happened 🤣

Was it something about last Christmas?

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

Some may say he hadn’t had the chance to prove himself. He has a bad game after an excellent game and suddenly he’s out for weeks. 

Its a load of tosh.

Well that’s just not the case.

He was very average in the first game (poor going forward, weak link defensively - go and watch the highlights and see where their chances come from) and then very poor in the second.

It’d be great if he could turn out to be a high performing regular for us - it really would - but the last thing we need is yet another sub-Championship standard academy product in the matchday..we have enough of those already 

3 hours ago, Hookowl said:

Some may say, in the predicament we are in we can't afford to play a player "just to give him a chance to prove himself"

We've been waiting 3 years for JVA to 'prove himself'.

He's been a car crash since he's been here but for some reason he seems to have become an automatic starter now under Monk.

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

To be fair, what has Penney done to be in the team?

As above, what has JVA done? Yet he gets starts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

He's been a car crash since he's been here but for some reason he seems to have become an automatic starter now under Monk.

As above, what has JVA done? Yet he gets starts.

JVA is rubbish mate but that's not justification to bring Penney in. They don't even play the same position

7 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

That might be down to every other player in his position either being injured or only having one leg

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Its a load of tosh.

Meh I dunno. I’m always of the simple thought that if an unproven player isn’t wanted in the team then he’s not at the level required 

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That might be down to every other player in his position either being injured or only having one leg

Even worst, we don't have anyone else in Penney's position. And those we tried there did poorly.