A game of three thirds

Excellent for 60 mins but for Christ sake, sort out the game management 

Yes the opposition will come stronger in the last 10 mins, but we need to match their intensity, and we never look like doing that. 

Why we think it’s acceptable to stop closing down in the final 10 I do not know. Stray balls, letting players ghost past you

We clearly still panic in these situations and it needs addressing 

That was unbearable at the end, and it’s the same every time we’re winning 

• Like 7

It's very strange, we've done it for years now, we seem to refuse to try and counter attack, when we're ahead and the other team puts on any amount of attacking pressure, after that as soon as we get it we just launch it forward, we have players in loads of space available with simple 10/15 yard passes and we just ignore it and launch it where we haven't got anyone, even if passing it through the midfield has been the way we've been creating chances and dominating a game.

It's why we're so poor at the end of games, we just give the ball away within a few seconds almost every time, and we're basically playing attack vs defence for 20+ minutes, you expect that sometimes but it shouldn't be happening every time you go ahead.

Can't believe that last 15 mins , what the hell are we trying to achieve by playing like that, we are not good enough to see a game out playing that way and inviting them onto us. I'm sick to death of us conceding injury time goals and they had plenty of chances to do so. First 65 mins were quality though.

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Excellent for 60 mins but for Christ sake, sort out the game management 

Yes the opposition will come stronger in the last 10 mins, but we need to match their intensity, and we never look like doing that. 

Why we think it’s acceptable to stop closing down in the final 10 I do not know. Stray balls, letting players ghost past you

We clearly still panic in these situations and it needs addressing 

That was unbearable at the end, and it’s the same every time we’re winning 

I weren’t worried one bit.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Monk’s been saying the same thing since January. The mental part needs strengthening. That’s why he flushed out that old group. Hopefully the new signees will gel fast enough and get creative to score in the first 45 minutes so I can enjoy stoppage time. UTO. 

Brim just started lobbing the ball into the box. What do you expect them to do? Keep tippy tapping around their own half like they did for 75 mins with us harassing their arses off? Of course they’re going to Chuck everything at us. But we held it. Credit to the players. And the manager for getting them working ghat hard. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Joe Sunburn said:

Monk’s been saying the same thing since January. The mental part needs strengthening. That’s why he flushed out that old group. Hopefully the new signees will gel fast enough and get creative to score in the first 45 minutes so I can enjoy stoppage time. UTO. 

I don't think its mentality though, it's the tactics. We always drop deep, withdraw a striker and end up hanging on. Today was worse than the QPR game to be honest - it was just the QPR finished their chance, whereas today Friend, Leko, Clayton and Hogan missed the four clear-cut chances that Birmingham had in the last 20 minutes. First 75 minutes, when we were playing more positively, they barely created anything.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

I don't think its mentality though, it's the tactics. We always drop deep, withdraw a striker and end up hanging on. Today was worse than the QPR game to be honest - it was just the QPR finished their chance, whereas today Friend, Leko, Clayton and Hogan missed the four clear-cut chances that Birmingham had in the last 20 minutes. First 75 minutes, when we were playing more positively, they barely created anything.

It was as if we dominated a Birmingham side playing a very isolated one up top for 70 minutes and then thought "I know whats a good way of finishing this game off... withdraw a striker and finish with a very isolated one up top."

For all that we deserved to win that game, if they'd have equalised in the final 20 minutes we'd have been saying they deserved it.

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Joe Sunburn said:

Main problem with the argument that it was the 'old groups' fault is that its still occurring now after they've left. It also wasn't a problem under Bruce or earlier than that.. yes we sometimes conceded late goals but never to the same extent. Its the managers tactics that are an issue.. its unenjoyable and unwatchable towards the end of games even when we manage to hang on

As soon as the forward goes off, you send that signal out we're hanging onto it. We used to be so good on the counter, and despite there being the opportunity to break out late on we didn't. just hoofing into no mans land and it comes straight back. I've never understood it personally. It's like the old corner routine. Leaving a couple up top means the opposition have to follow suit as good as, but we often get the 11 behind.

End of the day we won though.

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky

As has been said, it’s game management, we haven’t the legs to go 90 mins, we get leggy, massively lose our shape, you can see this in the last 3rd of the game,the problem being, one player not doing his job and we crumble, for me he needs to use his subs more effectively, the problem being I don’t think he has the confidence in them.

Borner is there to make the numbers up, Joey, well the less said, Penney, hit and miss, Dele is not quite up to pace yet, Rhodes is a passenger.

So sticking Any of them on for 20 minutes is a massive risk.

I love how we are pressing, but it has to come in waves (atm),and not a consistent until we are blowing out of our arses, as had happened in all our matches so far.

Easy innit! lol

But, get our injured ones back and maybe we see a different last 20 mins.

It is not just down to tactics. The players show no composure in these situations, I’d love to know our pass completion percentage for the last 15 mins. Total panic sets in,  the QPR game will not have helped with this.

Hopefully, results like today will help to improve players composure In these situations.