A game of three thirds

13 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

It was as if we dominated a Birmingham side playing a very isolated one up top for 70 minutes and then thought "I know whats a good way of finishing this game off... withdraw a striker and finish with a very isolated one up top."

We played with 2 strikers until the 91st minute....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, torryowl said:

We played with 2 strikers until the 91st minute....

Apologies, didn't mean to suggest we played one up top for the last 20... Just that we were under the cosh going in to stoppage time and the tactical tweak to "relieve the pressure" was to withdraw an outlet and adopt a tactic / formation that we'd absolutely dominated for the first 70 minutes... entrench ourselves further on the edge of our own box, which is  something we are painfully vulnerable when adopting as a tactic.

It worked but we could play that way for ten years without conceding and I'll still be nervous as hell.

Teams are always going to have spells, yes last 15/20 I would say we dropped off but this can happen , still had Marriotts chance to wrap it up but it is a slight worry whenever we have a lead we can’t see it out in a more comfortable manner , if we could get a second or third that would certainly help lol

The only player who didn’t get the heebee jeebees in the last few minutes was Bannan. 

Whilst everyone else was heading and kicking it up in the air with full panic mode stations Bannan calmly took a ball down on his chest in our own box (whilst on the move) let it drop and calmly smashed it down the line with his right foot

Game over

I was so glad Bannan was underneath that high ball

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Think tank said:

It is not just down to tactics. The players show no composure in these situations, I’d love to know our pass completion percentage for the last 15 mins. Total panic sets in,  the QPR game will not have helped with this.

Hopefully, results like today will help to improve players composure In these situations. 

This doesn’t quite show pass percentage completion, but it definitely shows that we sh*t ourselves in terms of stringing a controlled chain of passes together. The low average was probably down to that last ten minutes.

0F931EAB-0C0B-4A1E-ADE0-66D895D3996F.png

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Hmmm matches in three thirds... more advertising revenue from D-Taxis and Elev8... 

Oh hold on a minute...

The standard of our pressing has gone up several levels this season. 

The problem is we are struggling to maintain that for the entire game, understandably so. We also need to be getting more than one goal when we are on top.

Tbf, the lads absolute slogged it out until the end yesterday (like they did against QPR tbf), but things fell for us and we got that bit of luck.

We do need to try and manage these situations better though when possible. Can't just keep smashing it down the pitch and then waiting for the opposition to comeback at us. 

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

The only player who didn’t get the heebee jeebees in the last few minutes was Bannan. 

Whilst everyone else was heading and kicking it up in the air with full panic mode stations Bannan calmly took a ball down on his chest in our own box (whilst on the move) let it drop and calmly smashed it down the line with his right foot

Game over

I was so glad Bannan was underneath that high ball

You need quality in those moments.

I remember that 2nd season under Carlos we used to be very good at defending leads. Bannan, FF, Lee, Nuhiu all using their quick thinking and quality to frustrate the opposition, hold the ball in the corner flag or drawing a foul to bide us some time. 

21 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Excellent for 60 mins but for Christ sake, sort out the game management 

Yes the opposition will come stronger in the last 10 mins, but we need to match their intensity, and we never look like doing that. 

Why we think it’s acceptable to stop closing down in the final 10 I do not know. Stray balls, letting players ghost past you

We clearly still panic in these situations and it needs addressing 

That was unbearable at the end, and it’s the same every time we’re winning 

2-0 fixes all this.

I'm just a simple guy.

On 17/10/2020 at 17:03, fingyfop said:

It's very strange, we've done it for years now, we seem to refuse to try and counter attack, when we're ahead and the other team puts on any amount of attacking pressure, after that as soon as we get it we just launch it forward, we have players in loads of space available with simple 10/15 yard passes and we just ignore it and launch it where we haven't got anyone, even if passing it through the midfield has been the way we've been creating chances and dominating a game.

It's why we're so poor at the end of games, we just give the ball away within a few seconds almost every time, and we're basically playing attack vs defence for 20+ minutes, you expect that sometimes but it shouldn't be happening every time you go ahead.

Panic stricken..for no reason...