Brentford bid for Bannan

5 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

Not sure even Monk values Pelupessy to that extent, I think he is an emergency backup and wages probably to match.

I personally would allow Bannan to leave.   30 years old, no resale value and assume we stay up and he decides to renew, at 31 he's not going to be someone we should be building a side around.    If we go down, even worse and he won't stay anyway so may as well get some experience into the likes of Shaw and Hunt.     We will get a pittance for Bannan right now but save some decent money in wages - and that is the thing that's crippling Wednesday - The wage bill.

Or sell him, and go down, and lose a lot more than we will get for him now

Only way we can sell him is if we have a ready made replacement already organised

Just now, the third man said:

Or sell him, and go down, and lose a lot more than we will get for him now

Only way we can sell him is if we have a ready made replacement already organised

I don't think we need a like for like replacement.    I don't think Bannan suits our play.     He dictates a game every 4 or 5 matches but we need consistency.    We need a big snarler in the middle, not someone running rings around himself and pulling off the odd brilliant pass.

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist
28 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

Not sure even Monk values Pelupessy to that extent, I think he is an emergency backup and wages probably to match.

I personally would allow Bannan to leave.   30 years old, no resale value and assume we stay up and he decides to renew, at 31 he's not going to be someone we should be building a side around.    If we go down, even worse and he won't stay anyway so may as well get some experience into the likes of Shaw and Hunt.     We will get a pittance for Bannan right now but save some decent money in wages - and that is the thing that's crippling Wednesday - The wage bill.

Apparently JP is on 8k a week..probably 7k more than he was on in Holland..but if that’s classed as a cheap back up theses days no wonder clubs los3 money hand over fist

Guest Hornsby

After rejecting Fessy bid he went on strike for 2 years, then left on freebie.

Bannon clearly tapped up Brentford months ago.

Or his agent is after a  Westy -size deal. Oh.

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

We need to be preparing for the Third now.

We need to think about what sort of players will thrive at that level.

Bannan's a good player in a good team, but personally I don't see him cutting the mustard at that level.

He'd probably be the best player in League One.

4 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I honestly cannot think of one reason, why Bazza would want to stay here, given the choice that seems to be in front of him.

If any of you guys were in his position, would you stay?

If you would, please give the reasons before the Green van arrives.

£20k-£25k a week would be reason enough for me

9 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

We cant just spend cash - you do realise that dont you (its not Football Manager) we actually have to generate funds to spend. Whether this funding is spent on a fee or wages. When you say us getting players back doesnt hinge on certain things I think you are a little naive. Especially in the current situation clubs will be cutting costs left, right, and centre. We are not a club in a position to start rejecting offers that are financially beneficial. A problem that we have at this club is 'over valuing assets' due to sentiment - BB is a good player, does he suit our style of play, I would say no. Has he been starting moves that get the forwards going, I would also say not as much as he used too.

The PL teams will have decided now who they want to retain and who they are looking to loan out, so yes there will be movement on deadline day - thats what happens. Some moves will be obvious, some will surprise. Hopefully we are looking at bringing in a few last minute deals to bolster the squad. 

I meant Murphy coming back doesn't hinge on a Bannan sale because he is not coming back - that ship has sailed and I think you are naive if you think he would come here now.

Yes there will be movement tomorrow but the plan wasn't to sell Bannan and if you think we will get a good replacement tomorrow then you are deluded. Scratching around for what is left for a change. 

As for our style of play, who does suit it? We play 3 at the back when we only have 2 centre-backs available and having signed Brown presumably as a means to playing more football, we are in the bottom 4 for short passes this season and the top 8 for long balls despite not having anyone to aim them to. 

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, mcmigo said:

The Hunter....becomes the Hunted!

Hunt is a real player. You stick Luongo next to him, those two will be a good combination in the middle, and will get up and down the park more than we do with BB. 

Do you think we should play Hunt instead of Bannan is we don't sell Bannan then?

10 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Bannan for me is a luxury player that we don’t have the luxury of having. In a team that dictates play and has a ton of possession Bannan is superb. What he’s good at, his positive attributes - he’s great at! The trouble is, what he’s bad at he’s really bad at and in our current plight we don’t get the best out of him and instead are often forced to watch him doing what he’s not so good at. 

We typically bypass midfield now by going long, or get it out to the wings quickly. Watching Bannan scrap for second balls, headers, track opposition runners or attempt to play quick counterattacks is as painful as it is wonderful watching him with time and space to play clever short passes back when we had a better team. 

I’d swap Bannan with plenty of worse players that have better all round ability and I think it would probably benefit the team overall, at least the way we are playing at the moment. 

The fault is the way we are playing in that case and we don't have anyone who is going to come in and win headers and second balls do we?

7 hours ago, HarryPlopper said:

I don't think we need a like for like replacement.    I don't think Bannan suits our play.     He dictates a game every 4 or 5 matches but we need consistency.    We need a big snarler in the middle, not someone running rings around himself and pulling off the odd brilliant pass.

We have needed one of those for years, we are unlikely to find him before 5pm tomorrow.