Brentford bid for Bannan

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

We need to be preparing for the Third now.

We need to think about what sort of players will thrive at that level.

Bannan's a good player in a good team, but personally I don't see him cutting the mustard at that level.

'Kin ell, Chris Turner's here, preparing us for life in the 3rd division with the vast majority of the curren season in the second division still to play. Still, that turned out well........ 

14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

'Kin ell, Chris Turner's here, preparing us for life in the 3rd division with the vast majority of the curren season in the second division still to play. Still, that turned out well........ 

Lol.

The number of games left to play isn't the issue.

Who'll be sitting in the dugout is.

With old Paleface at the helm our relegation is as sure as night follows day.

We're doomed.

garymegson

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ashley8 said:

If Bannan doesn't suit the way we play we need to change the way we play! 

And (if they exist) how much would it cost to bring in Players that can play a quality passing game,playing out from the back,through midfield,to the attack?

We need a direct midfield bypassing game,with the emphasis on decent and plentiful crosses into the opponents box.

(we have the players for this) This should be supported by quality free kicks,long throws,and corners...

From that will come goals,and goal scoring chances,forced and unforced errors,fouls given against our opponents around their box,leading to free kicks to us,in dangerous places for them,and penalty's.

The longer we play an aggressive pressing game,the less our defence will have to do..(no bad thing!!)

What you describe will give us much more ;possession; sideways and back passes,and **** all else.............

Edited by parajack

9 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Lol.

The number of games left to play isn't the issue.

Who'll be sitting in the dugout is.

With old Paleface at the helm our relegation is as sure as night follows day.

We're doomed.

garymegson

Wish I could argue against that, I don't want him preparing our team for next season in a lower division now though, just as I didn't when Turner started doing that in 2002-03, it didn't work. 

The truth is that Bannan constantly has smoke blown up his arse by the pundits and commentators, but in actual fact if he was that good, he'd have been picked off by a bigger club before now.

Unpopular opinion......

Bannan ain't all that.

He limits our play by demanding to dictate the play all the time.

Let him go, let's see what we can do without a little Hitler in the middle of the park.      

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

We may as well sell.

Bannan or no Bannan the odds are we're going to be relegated now Monk has been retained.

Let's get something for him rather than nothing later on. 

How many matches have we lost this season FFS?......wait out...............(please!!)

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Wish I could argue against that, I don't want him preparing our team for next season in a lower division now though, just as I didn't when Turner started doing that in 2002-03, it didn't work. 

Very true.

It was catastrophic.

But in the particular case of Bazzle, he's wanted now, earns a lot, and can walk away soon.

In the Third we'll need height and physique, and I just think that football at that level will pass him by.

...or pass over his head.

Churchill.png

19 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

The truth is that Bannan constantly has smoke blown up his arse by the pundits and commentators, but in actual fact if he was that good, he'd have been picked off by a bigger club before now.

Unpopular opinion......

Bannan ain't all that.

Let him go, let's see what we can do without a little Hitler in the middle of the park.      

Thats right

Team at top of the league want to buy a player from bottom of league

He must be not be ‘all that’

26 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

Unpopular opinion......

Bannan ain't all that.

Really?!

36 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

Unpopular opinion......

Bannan ain't all that.

Stats for last season:

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/25/Archive/England-Sheffield-Wednesday

Most assists and in our top 3 for overall rating per game from an independent source.

The assists stats also don't take into account the key passes he plays that lead to the goal, like his ball into the box for the second goal at Cardiff and his pass that set Reach free for our goal against QPR - influential in 2 of 3 goals we have scored this season.

I guess we would be much more effective without him though with the abundance of midfield options we have........ 

Key passes per game shows his value

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/25/Archive/England-Sheffield-Wednesday

Though we could just abandon trying key passes and lump it more as that appears to be the other option we choose.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, HarryPlopper said:

Unpopular opinion......

Bannan ain't all that.

What players do we have that are better than Bannan ?

1 hour ago, Dizzys Dad said:

Brentford will offer him more than we will.

Kind of the point. I doubt we are going to offer him the same wages as he’s used to now, he will stick it out here this season and then leave on a free next year. 

58 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

What players do we have that are better than Bannan ?

At not demanding the ball when hes in no position to do so......,all of them

At taking free kicks......most of them

At taking corners.....most of them

At scoring goals.......most of them

At not making inferior players shrink and have less influence on a game.....most of them

At heading the ball...most of them

At tackling......many of them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I meant Murphy coming back doesn't hinge on a Bannan sale because he is not coming back - that ship has sailed and I think you are naive if you think he would come here now.

Yes there will be movement tomorrow but the plan wasn't to sell Bannan and if you think we will get a good replacement tomorrow then you are deluded. Scratching around for what is left for a change. 

As for our style of play, who does suit it? We play 3 at the back when we only have 2 centre-backs available and having signed Brown presumably as a means to playing more football, we are in the bottom 4 for short passes this season and the top 8 for long balls despite not having anyone to aim them to. 

You keep saying we have no chance of signing people, yet you have no idea whatsoever regarding this - it is your opinion, not fact. 

Murphy possibly could come back, again, you stating not, is your opinion, no evidence to back your claim.

Nobody has EVER said the plan was to sell Bannan (bar you), we received an offer and some of us think we should have accepted it. The club may think otherwise.

There is always the possibility to sign better than Bannan, our problem is being able to spend to get them - so yes, there is good players available as everyone has their price. Pay the money, get the player. We could possibly loan PL youngsters or fringe squad players that could play CM, so yes there are options.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

At not making inferior players shrink and have less influence on a game.....most of them

Maybe slightly harsh on the we lad.

I've always thought Bannan, should be better than Bannan actually is. Maybe it was that first couple of seasons where we brainwashed ourselves into thinking he was better than Zidane?

Main problem I have with him is he's not a patch on what John Sheridan was. We lack creativity in central midfield really, but the scary thing is Bannan is the best we have in central mid. Great technically, but I don't think he sees the big picture to drive play forward.

I might be speaking prematurely, but Fiz looks like he sees the big picture in midfield and wants to drive play forward, either on or off the ball.

If the money is right, it's time to wish Bannan well, and thanks for the memories.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Name one player that is better than Bannan that can do all of the above ?