Brentford bid for Bannan

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Absolutely bizarre. 

One of only two players in our squad capable of opening teams up from midfield. hardly misses games through injury and the manager deems him important enough to be our captain this season.

The Peterborough owner said this week that the difference in TV money alone between the Championship and the lower leagues is now around £7-8M per season and you want to dramatically increase our chances of being relegated for the sake of £1M.  

That's just it, he hasn't been opening up defences though. He has however been putting in floaty balls that are easily defended. 

I agree, he is one of our better players, but it hasn't worked for him in the last year. His age is against us and himself. Bannan is not going to get any better than he is today. If you think that Bannan is going to single handedly save us from the drop then you are deluded. 

In a year's time he could potentially walk away for free, then all the people stating to keep him now, will be saying "we should have taken the money" like with Forestieri.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

We have just failed FFP and been deducted points as a result, face the prospect of no gate income for another season and have a highly paid 31 year old in the final year of his contract subject to a bid.

Only the legendary Scottish manager Murdo McMad, manager of Mad Rovers FC, would turn any half sensible bid down.  Could be a lifeline for us financially .

Depends if you think we have a chance of staying up. We should do, we only have to be 12 points better than 3 teams over 46 games, we have managed that every season since 2014.

Trouble is Bannan is clearly an influential player for us, any rational thinker would deduce the manager thinks so as he picks him every week and has made him captain for this difficult season.

Selling Bannan now is not likely to see us get a fee of the £7M or so it is worth in TV money for staying in this league, I'd say we have far less chance of staying up without him and not being able to replace him. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

That's just it, he hasn't been opening up defences though. He has however been putting in floaty balls that are easily defended. 

I agree, he is one of our better players, but it hasn't worked for him in the last year. His age is against us and himself. Bannan is not going to get any better than he is today. If you think that Bannan is going to single handedly save us from the drop then you are deluded. 

In a year's time he could potentially walk away for free, then all the people stating to keep him now, will be saying "we should have taken the money" like with Forestieri.

Taking multi-millions for Forestieri is different from the £1M you suggested we should accept for Bannan. 

He won't single-handedly save us but we have a better chance with him than Pelupessy or young Bashiru playing every game, unless you think we will find a gem to replace him in the next two days?

As for not opening teams up, we have scored 3 league goals this season and he was heavily involved in 2 of them, not sure we have anyone else to do any better. 

1 hour ago, 109Waddle said:

Brentford have cash so we should be starting high. If they want him they should pay for him.

Yes, but cash is king, so they’re calling the shots on this, not us  - if we don’t want to sell, which I hope is the case, they’ll just set their sights somewhere else.

Bannan’s a key player for us, but  an ambitious and upwards moving club like Brentford can just shrug their shoulders and walk away if they want to

They’ve plenty to money to find an alternative to Bannan if they need to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

We should be extending contracts on players like Bannan. 

didnt the league come up with new rules for next season ie league 1 can only pay 2.5million in wages for entire squad? i dont see how thats remotely viable for relegated championship teams , if we go down then our wage bill would halve at the minimum so clearly we cant be handing bannan another 30k a week what he is probably on now. 

• Like 1

Bannan is one of a few players who has given value for money in the DC era.

He is probably a top earner but is rarely injured and contributes a lot to the team.

We basically have 3 senior pros who are capable of a bit of quality, Bannan, Brown and Reach. ( Windass at a push) 

I can’t visualise how we would play without Bannan but I can’t believe it would be an improvement and could only see relegation beckoning.

Bannan must be very interested in the move.

• Like 5

Perhaps it's just a case of trying to unsettle him before our match next week. Brentford will have a good idea that we wouldn't sell unless it was a big offer, and they would make sure that a big offer wasn't on the table. Then they would win either way. They offer less than they think we'll take, and if we take it they have a decent player for peanuts. If we don't accept a low offer they may just unsettle him a little. Win Win for Brentford.

6 minutes ago, morganowl said:

didnt the league come up with new rules for next season ie league 1 can only pay 2.5million in wages for entire squad? i dont see how thats remotely viable for relegated championship teams , if we go down then our wage bill would halve at the minimum so clearly we cant be handing bannan another 30k a week what he is probably on now. 

The rules are slightly different for clubs relegated into the division in terms of existing contracts but its not completely clear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424

As you say though, very little chance of us offering anywhere near his current contract.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Good question Jim

For me it's 100% pure football to decide this one as we have an absolutely minted chairman (it's only the EFL/FFP stopping him from spending millions and millions of pounds remember)

So  money  doesn't  come into it really

So what if Bannan goes on a free next summer?

We are so loaded it doesn't matter!

FWIW I believe the Chairman is a very wealthy man. I have no way of proving it but like Mandaric before him, I believe what they are worth and what is in the public domain is very different?

P&S probably will be scrapped in the very near future and as with us just missing out on parachute payments when we got relegated from

the premier league, we’ll more than likely be the last team to get shafted by P&S?

The objective this season is to stay up. I think given the way we play it’s 50/50 with or without Bannan that we’ll stay up but as I said earlier on our squad is going to go through more change wherever we are in 12 months time and it might as well continue now as wait until next summer?

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

which team there or ours do you think has more chance on being in the top flight in the next few season.

Us, willing to bet?

I hear they are selling there best player...again.

Btw, we have picked up more points than them this season..

The brentford luv affair is charming. They are a shyte 4th div side, always will be, chairman will be coining it in mind...for now.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jim said:

P&S probably will be scrapped in the very near future and as with us just missing out on parachute payments when we got relegated from

the premier league, we’ll more than likely be the last team to get shafted by P&S?

That would honestly not surprise me at all mate

Owlstalk Shop