We’ve narrowed the pitch at Hillsborough

It's not been full size for years now. When we we only had loan players we couldn't  handle the space. Sadly it's never gone back. If it has bee narrowed again then it's down to wanting to play crap. Let's face it that is an achievement he HAS achieved lol

(Sadly)

14 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Why can’t all pro pitches be the same size? 

I always associate shortening the pitch with long throws. 

Welcome to Sheffield Wednesday Callum Patterson.  

It was narrow v Watford too. But yes it does mean his throws are in range. 

22 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

It was narrow v Watford too. But yes it does mean his throws are in range. 

Indeed. Has to be from the start of the season doesn’t it and can’t be changed. 

Really makes you wonder what this means for our tactics. 

It’s been changed several times in the 60 plus years I’ve been a Hillsborough regular. In the 1950’s   It was said to be one of the largest playing areas in the football league. Bigger than Wembley if memory serves correctly. The largest narrowings I remember was in Ron Atkinsons early days but I don’t remember anyone thinking it negative. Rather the actions of a savvy manager. 

• Like 4

Did the rest of you study those two photos even? It looks the same really, just that those black granules (or whatever they're called) have been cleaned up further over the sidelines this season compared to last?

Can't see any difference to actual pitch size; boxes/lines seem the same in both, but the gray/black area varies, but that's all over the sidelines anyway.

Guest Smackavolley
5 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Did the rest of you study those two photos even? It looks the same really, just that those black granules (or whatever they're called) have been cleaned up further over the sidelines this season compared to last?

Can't see any difference to actual pitch size; boxes/lines seem the same in both, but the gray/black area varies, but that's all over the sidelines anyway.

The pitch has definitely been narrowed.

As far as I am aware, the only pitch with the Maximum area, and certainly for years the largest playing area, was the old Doncaster Rovers pitch , the one opposite the Racecourse .

Some clubs, even the top clubs are constructed so that there is little 'running area'  and the terraces are closer to the pitch, giving the impression of smaller pitches.

Whether this season's pitch is smaller/narrower can only be determined by the distance from the edge of the penalty area to the touch line, since the dimensions of penalty & goal areas are standard by law Even so, we still don't seem to take 'home advantage' so what  difference?.

2 hours ago, N0rtherner said:

I did question myself but I believe it is narrower. Its the Astro edging put in with the deso pitch. It doesn’t move. 

Guest Smackavolley
13 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

I did question myself but I believe it is narrower. Its the Astro edging put in with the deso pitch. It doesn’t move. 

The training pitches have been narrowed as well.