Paul Cook

We’re literally 3 games in to this season. You can’t carry last season in to this. Monk now has his own team in around him where he didn’t have this last season. We can now start to judge him based on this - so far performances haven’t been terrible although the 2nd half today was pretty poor. We need more bodies in but this is easier said than done.

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313

I don't rate Monk but he isn't going anywhere so might as well get behind the team. The time to get rid of him was in Feb/March, and we didn't. Then there was the lockdown and a second opportunity to do it in July at the end of the season and we didn't. Then we doubled down and brought in his coaching staff.

We've started ok with 4 points from 3 games against better sides. Never got the optimism and the vocal folks pushing their agenda that releasing the higher earners and players with quality and replacing them with cheaper options would solve our issues, its going to be a long season.

We're in a 6-7 team mini league with Wycombe, Rotherham, Barnsley, Luton etc... come the end of October when we've played these I'll judge more as we need to be beating them.

Hard getting a 12 point deduction at the start as mentally you're rooted to the bottom. Even if we claw it back there might be a tendency to think thats job done when in reality we'd then still be in a dog fight to stay up. Actually think Monk will get us out of the relegation zone then end up fading later in the season like he has in all his other previous 6 seasons, and we'll end up going down.

Unbelievable.

3 games into the season, and based on a single, poor, 45 minutes, people are calling for the managers head.

Seriously, what are peoples expectations? Did anybody seriously think we were going to remain unbeaten? That we were going to be brilliant game after game after game?

This season is about survival. And I've seen plenty of signs that we're capable of achieving that. The gap has already been reduced to 7points, and we're going to play worse teams than Brizzie. If we can keep up the standard shown in the first half today, there's reason to be optimistic.

Let's stay positive.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Unbelievable.

3 games into the season, and based on a single, poor, 45 minutes, people are calling for the managers head.

Seriously, what are peoples expectations? Did anybody seriously think we were going to remain unbeaten? That we were going to be brilliant game after game after game?

This season is about survival. And I've seen plenty of signs that we're capable of achieving that. The gap has already been reduced to 7points, and we're going to play worse teams than Brizzie. If we can keep up the standard shown in the first half today, there's reason to be optimistic.

Let's stay positive.

To survive we have to score enough goals at one end and be relatively strong at the other. If you’ve seen enough to suggest we’ll survive then you’ve got better bloody eyesight than me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jim said:

To survive we have to score enough goals at one end and be relatively strong at the other. If you’ve seen enough to suggest we’ll survive then you’ve got better bloody eyesight than me?

And haven't we done that up until the second half today?

Took advantage of poor defending to beat a decent Cardiff side. Dominated a much fancied Watford in the first half last weekend and then held them off in the second half. And again, dominated Bristol City in the first half today.

So yes, I've seen enough to make me optimistic. Unfortunately, some people will focus on the second half today rather than the  2 1/2 games prior to that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

A manager with a proven record, promotions to his name and worked wonders with little or no money at Wigan. Go and get him Chansiri and get rid of Monk before it's too late. 5 wins in last 25 league games is unacceptable. Jos got sacked with a better record than Monk. 

Got news for you.

We were never going to go through this season unbeaten .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

For the hard of thinking...ITS NOT JUST THE LAST 3 GAMES 

But it is though.  We have just started a new season with the manager having his own team in supporting him.  
He has made changes to the playing person which many thought long overdue 

We have just played played 3 teams  with expectations of being top 6 which I think everyone said was a very difficult start.

It really is time to be realistic.  We are likely to sign at least another 2 players before the window closes. The time to judge the progress being made is when we have played a representative cross section of the teams in this league.

For what it’s worth I happen to believe we are on the right road and performances have shown we are in a better position playing wise than last season

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Got news for you.

We were never going to go through this season unbeaten .

Never said we were, but this isnt about today , its about 5 wins in last 25 league games. Its unacceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He didn’t go last season and DC has backed him with his own staff and new players. Pointless to then give him the push. We need to back the man in charge and players. It’s clear we are short in a couple of positions and think a focal point striker and maybe even a poacher are a necessity. Add to that Paterson and Sanderson hopefully and I believe we will have enough to stay up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

He didn’t go last season and DC has backed him with his own staff and new players. Pointless to then give him the push. We need to back the man in charge and players. It’s clear we are short in a couple of positions and think a focal point striker and maybe even a poacher are a necessity. Add to that Paterson and Sanderson hopefully and I believe we will have enough to stay up.

That’s certainly clear. No point in anybody shouting for Cook because having brought in Monk's back room staff DC's  hardly going to sack him even if things look desperate at Christmas. Chances are, Monk will do enough to keep us up and hopefully we can put this nightmare behind us the following season. 

• Like 1