Paul Cook

3 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Owlstalk strikes again. Manager loses his first game of the season and already someone's calling for his head.

I wanted Monk out last season but was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt this. TBH I've been impressed so far that with such a poor squad he's managed to make us look quite good. That's what I was thinking all the way up to half time after completely dominating a 'top' Bristol City side. Now I'm worried that Monkball is dependant on sustained levels of energy that we just don't have. But I'm not going to throw a wobbler because of a poor performance for just 45 mins.

Very true. Which is why we need that striker and another 2 high energy players to help sustain the energy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

A manager with a proven record, promotions to his name and worked wonders with little or no money at Wigan. Go and get him Chansiri and get rid of Monk before it's too late. 5 wins in last 25 league games is unacceptable. Jos got sacked with a better record than Monk. 

Take him tomorrow..quality..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

TBH I've been impressed so far that with such a poor squad he's managed to make us look quite good. That's what I was thinking all the way up to half time after completely dominating a 'top' Bristol City side. Now I'm worried that Monkball is dependant on sustained levels of energy that we just don't have.

This is a really good point, and it puts into words my own reservations better than I'd been able to up to now.

We were really good in that first half today, closing down in packs, putting Bristol City under pressure in midfield, and forcing them into mistakes. The issue was that we weren't able to capitalise on this, and squandered the promising positions we'd got into. If Windass had put away that chance that Kachunga laid on for him, the result may have been very different. But he didn't; and we paid for it in the second half.

We got used to having the likes of Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, 2018 Reach and even João at times, who were all capable of producing a goal out of nothing and turning the tide of a game when we were under the cosh. We no longer have players of that quality, and so more often than not, we need to score when we're on top.

Today, it looked like we largely burned ourselves out in order to get on top in the first half, but when we were unable to capitalise on that, it left us vulnerable in the second half.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Owlstalk strikes again. Manager loses his first game of the season and already someone's calling for his head.

I wanted Monk out last season but was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt this. TBH I've been impressed so far that with such a poor squad he's managed to make us look quite good. That's what I was thinking all the way up to half time after completely dominating a 'top' Bristol City side. Now I'm worried that Monkball is dependant on sustained levels of energy that we just don't have. But I'm not going to throw a wobbler because of a poor performance for just 45 mins.

You hit the nail on the head, he should’ve gone last season, in March. Whats changed?

• Haha 1