Reality, expectations and the standard of this squad

First half decent second pretty dire as we all know. 

Reality is though, what do people expect from this really thin and lightweight squad? It feels like the build up of positivity seems to have pushed fans to think we are better than we actually are. 

I said it all along that 4th bottom will be an achievement for us. We are very lightweight and the depth is non existent in attacking areas. 4 points from the first 3 is a fair return for this squad I think. 

• Like 9

I think people on here just need to realise that our first team is mid-table Championship at best. The rest are, on average, League One. See where we are after 12 games to get a real feel for the season and our performanances/results can be compared against more teams we've played and against other teams' fixtures, form, fitness across such a sample size. All those that have been thinking we're going to be okay because we started out the blocks well are in for, I believe, a rude shock. I still think we're going down and we won't ever get out of the bottom three; we don't have enough quality players at the moment to do anything else.

• Like 2

We are a mid-table team - probably gross around 60 points. Unfortunately, unless we get a points penalty reduction, we probably be near to relegation at the end. 

Laying into the team now won't help matters. I'm sure no one wants relegation, but the manager and to some extent DC are shackled until the conclusion of the appeal and when the sale funds will hit the FFP accounts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I dont think squad is good enough to have game changing players on the bench.

not about the players for me though its tactics.

One basic one would be to throw the big guys up, Iorfa, Lees, van and launch it for the last 10 - 5 mins and work off the knockdowns.

we did nothing but carry on the same way we played he entire 2nd half.

Edited by agentwalker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What concerns me is Monk just doesn’t have the ability to react when we go behind. 

Didn’t even look like getting back into the game when we went 1-0 down. We just let it fizzle out.

I think he realises he doesn't have the quality from the bench, and his instinct is fairly defensive.

But you're right, and to achieve 50 net points he will need to be a little more offensive, and react with more risk moving forward.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

When we are going to need a minimum of 65 pts to stand a chance of staying up the return so far ain't good enough. 

4 points in 3 is 62 over a season. Hardly asking for a huge purple patch from our current form to turn 62 into 65-68 points.

As long as we’re in the race to stay up come March we should be happy.

Just keep it simple for the first time in 5 years this year's squad is weaker, by some way than the last season squad.

there is so many holes, decent keeper, left back, goal threat from midfield, strikers and goal up front. 10 days and we need 3 or 4 to have a competitive first 11 without think about the bench options.

27 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

not about the players for me though its tactics.

One basic one would be to throw the big guys up, Iorfa, Lees, van and launch it for the last 10 - 5 mins and work off the knockdowns.

we did nothing but carry on the same way we played he entire 2nd half.

I would have changed yo a back four when reach came on, played him on the left and stuck Big Dom up front to at least give us a presence in attack and give us someone to aim for. 

• Like 2