Gamesmanship

Something else I liked the look of on Saturday was the gamesmanship that we haven't seen our players do for a long time.

Claiming for everything, getting in the refs ear, kicking the ball away when play stops, standing on the ball and slowing down the game when we needed to.

That first half we got an awful lot off the ref that we wouldn't have got last season.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Wish it would all disappear, Penny got robustly changellened to say the least but jumped up and got on with the game. 

I don't mean roll around like neymar. I mean the little things that give the team a few more seconds to reset and a few more seconds for the ref to think about things. Kachunga was in the refs ear all the time on Saturday when he came on.

Things like holding on to the ball when we gave away a throw in, or putting the ball down in the wrong place, that sort of thing. It's shithousery we've never done before.

Quite clearly it's something that is being coached by the new team.

I'm not in favour of gamesmanship, aka cheating, whether it's by our players or opponents. 

Officials need to be stricter on players that dive or fall down after very little contact.

Whilst we're on it I think that players grabbing other players in the penalty area at corners ought to be penalised. Basically defenders ought to be able to defend by playing the ball not the man. The officials have the power but not seemingly the will to award penalties in such cases far too often.

Edited by Beauchief Owl
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I don't mean roll around like neymar. I mean the little things that give the team a few more seconds to reset and a few more seconds for the ref to think about things. Kachunga was in the refs ear all the time on Saturday when he came on.

Things like holding on to the ball when we gave away a throw in, or putting the ball down in the wrong place, that sort of thing. It's shithousery we've never done before.

Quite clearly it's something that is being coached by the new team.

I know what you mean and I can see your point of view, but all this stop and start and general wasting time, instead of getting on with the game really annoys me as there is no need for it and it spoils it as a spectacle and in the end short changes the fans.

• Like 1

I don't like the gamesmanship and I wish it wasn't in football so much but it's been very good seeing how willing Brown and Luongo have been to make good fouls at good times to stop the opposition getting momentum up. We've been a naive side for too much of the last 30 years. Glad we're competing in more ways than just effort this season

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I'm not in favour of gamesmanship, aka cheating, whether it's by our players or opponents. 

Officials need to be stricter on players that dive or fall down after very little contact.

Whilst we're on it I think that players grabbing other players in the penalty area at corners ought to be penalised. Basically defenders ought to be able to defend by playing the ball not the man. The officials have the power but not seemingly the will to award penalties in such cases far too often.

I'm not sure you read my post. I didn't say anything about players diving. I certainly disagree with that, can't abide it actually. I'm talking more about what we did when play had stopped.

58 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Something else I liked the look of on Saturday was the gamesmanship that we haven't seen our players do for a long time.

Claiming for everything, getting in the refs ear, kicking the ball away when play stops, standing on the ball and slowing down the game when we needed to.

That first half we got an awful lot off the ref that we wouldn't have got last season.

Bàstardise the match....love it lol

9 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Bàstardise the match....love it lol

It's going to be necessary this season mate. We need every competitive advantage we can. Shithousery within reason I can live with. If it wee wees off the opposition and gives us a few seconds to reset I'll take it.

• Like 2

We ain't gonna win games this season by out playing teams in beautiful football.

We don't have the players.

We need to be tough, committed and play smart.

Grind out wins and points. It won't be pretty but for this season we need to just tough it out.

• Like 3

What a difference of perspective this Covid has brought about in so many ways. I've been 'forced' into watching Rugby, both codes, but especially League. These are tough guys in  tough contact sport, but yet you don't see them rolling around in agony one minute, and next running like the wind.. They respect the Referees and are given respect in response. To me, I believe gamesmanship is tantamount to cheating. By all means appeal if you think it proper, but  keep out of the Ref's face.#

Let's look at some of the rules i n Rugby, which has had to undergo many changes in the rules.and has done so. Some of the rugby rules could be adapted to Football easily.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

What a difference of perspective this Covid has brought about in so many ways. I've been 'forced' into watching Rugby, both codes, but especially League. These are tough guys in  tough contact sport, but yet you don't see them rolling around in agony one minute, and next running like the wind.. They respect the Referees and are given respect in response. To me, I believe gamesmanship is tantamount to cheating. By all means appeal if you think it proper, but  keep out of the Ref's face.#

Let's look at some of the rules i n Rugby, which has had to undergo many changes in the rules.and has done so. Some of the rugby rules could be adapted to Football easily.

It's interesting people's different views on this.

I said the same to my missus yesterday. The refs should be mic'd up as they are in the rugby because that would stamp out ref abuse if the world could hear the players.

I've always disagreed with players feigning injury or trying to buy penalties but that is within the powers of the ref to stamp out now.

There is plenty of shithousery in rugby just the same as football, except it's more physical, stamping on round'uns in the ruck etc.

I agree respect for refs needs to improve in football but there's nothing wrong with a bit of respectful chatter/banter.

With all of this if teams are taking too many liberties with timewasting as some do, the ref has the power to stop it.

I honestly think Monk has been watching the Spurs documentary! 
There’s loads of times Mourinho says to his team “you have to be a bunch of ba#####s“ (he actually uses a worse word than that too).
There’s nothing wrong with a professional foul in my eyes. If it’s bad enough you’ll get punished with a yellow anyway. All part of the game, and something we haven’t done enough of for a long time! 

3 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

It's been a bug bear of mine for years, we've just been too bloody nice, we see teams come to S6 and practically "own" the officials from minute one, about time we did it, nice teams don't prosper, games can be swung in your favour, get every advantage you can.

Last season I can remember two instances of our players being blatantly hit in the face/head and actually thanking the offending player for helping them up and playing nice for the ref. I were going nuts!

7 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

I'd rather this type of thing did not happen at all, but until its properly stamped out then we should be doing the same as everyone else. We've been too nice on the pitch for years. It's gotten us nowhere. Time for us to start doing a bit back. As long as we don't get to Billy Davies forest level I'm fine with it. 

My feelings exactly. We've been too nice for 50 years. Until refs stop others doing it, we should do it.  If Man City with the best players in the world do it, so should we. If Man City lose the ball they are instructed to foul within 5 yards of the half way line if they can't get it back fairly. Nice guys win nothing.

• Like 1