• Penney
    • Palmer (55)
    • Kachunga (69)
    • Reach (85)

2 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Can't vote as two players stood out to me 

Van aken and Lees was both fantastic 

We need a striker tho 

Must admit people who voted Dawson strange,thought he made a few saves,but for me,as a former keeper,pushing shots out back into the danger area,was horrendous,still not a patch on Westwood,and never will be.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Borner is better? 

How?

Van Aken was very good today. Kept Murray completely out of the game. Did some fantastic body on the line defensive work at corners and throughout the game and distributed well.

Also competed well throughout in the air. Not sure what people expect that he isn't delivering. 

Borner is a better defender 100%. However, van Aken is probably better suited to the back three. I was impressed with Joost last week and first half today against Murray. He struggled a bit after that and some of his clearance out for corners were school boy level.

14 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Agree.

Hopefully he gets back on it next game. 

Got away with two balls parried straight back into dangerous areas

I was gonna say that, dawson was very lucky to keep a clean sheet today, two routine saves parried back out into the six yard box and he was just lucky a Wednesday foot was there first. 

Dawson - 6 kicking poor, was lucky in my opinion not to concede as he parried two routine saves back into the danger zone.

Iorfa - 6 - solid, needs to use his pace to get forward more as he can really stretch a team when he drives forward ans has the pace to get back if it breaks down

Lees - 6- defensively solid but sloppy on the ball kicked/ran it out a few times when under no real pressure

Van Aken - 6 - missed a free header- defensively sound

Harris - 5- his crossing is so poor. Works hard but end product almost always found wanting..

Luongo - 6 - broke things up well but offered little going forward

Brown - 6 - tried but again sloppy on the ball.

Bannan - 4- very sloppy on the ball and lost it several times. His usual badly timed reckless freekick gave them a very dangerous freekick.
His set pieces today were awful.

Penney - 5 - worked hard but crossing poor. I'm not convinced he is good enough.

Rhodes - 4- might as well not have bothered. It won't work for rhodes here, he doesn't offer that focal point for a attack he just runs around like a headless chicken (really slowly)

Windass - 6- lad works hard but like alot of thus team lacks that bit of quality in his end product.

Wasn't a pen imo

Kachunga- 6- had a go but didn't really change things

Reach - 4 - quickly becoming the next jordan rhodes expensive flop

Palmer - 6 - you get a 6 from palmer every game.

Monk - 5 - still don't like him, he is tactically devoid of ideas, Watford did not play well, they had most of their first choice team out and were playing their back ups and we still set up and played for the draw.
He is insistent on crosses into the box when a) no one can cross and b) we don't have a target man.
Subs had no real impact on the game and the bench again was poor.

Positives - clean sheet, 4 points from 6 , hard work is evident, van aken seems to have settled.

Negatives- where do the goals come from? We had one routine shot on target in the whole game against watfords reserves. The style of play is still too slow and one dimensional.
We still need bodies through the door as we have some gaping holes.
Watford had over 100 million worth of talent missing, this wasn't anywhere near their first team.
We were very sloppy with the ball today.

All in all a average result by an average side led by a average manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenners3896 said:

Dawson - 6 kicking poor, was lucky in my opinion not to concede as he parried two routine saves back into the danger zone.

Iorfa - 6 - solid, needs to use his pace to get forward more as he can really stretch a team when he drives forward ans has the pace to get back if it breaks down

Lees - 6- defensively solid but sloppy on the ball kicked/ran it out a few times when under no real pressure

Van Aken - 6 - missed a free header- defensively sound

Harris - 5- his crossing is so poor. Works hard but end product almost always found wanting..

Luongo - 6 - broke things up well but offered little going forward

Brown - 6 - tried but again sloppy on the ball.

Bannan - 4- very sloppy on the ball and lost it several times. His usual badly timed reckless freekick gave them a very dangerous freekick.
His set pieces today were awful.

Penney - 5 - worked hard but crossing poor. I'm not convinced he is good enough.

Rhodes - 4- might as well not have bothered. It won't work for rhodes here, he doesn't offer that focal point for a attack he just runs around like a headless chicken (really slowly)

Windass - 6- lad works hard but like alot of thus team lacks that bit of quality in his end product.

Wasn't a pen imo

Kachunga- 6- had a go but didn't really change things

Reach - 4 - quickly becoming the next jordan rhodes expensive flop

Palmer - 6 - you get a 6 from palmer every game.

Monk - 5 - still don't like him, he is tactically devoid of ideas, Watford did not play well, they had most of their first choice team out and were playing their back ups and we still set up and played for the draw.
He is insistent on crosses into the box when a) no one can cross and b) we don't have a target man.
Subs had no real impact on the game and the bench again was poor.

Positives - clean sheet, 4 points from 6 , hard work is evident, van aken seems to have settled.

Negatives- where do the goals come from? We had one routine shot on target in the whole game against watfords reserves. The style of play is still too slow and one dimensional.
We still need bodies through the door as we have some gaping holes.
Watford had over 100 million worth of talent missing, this wasn't anywhere near their first team.
We were very sloppy with the ball today.

All in all a average result by an average side led by a average manager.

WOW

Read this 👆

Immediately thought "either this fella's not watched the match OR (most likely) he's one of those with an anti-monk agenda

1 hour ago, Kenners3896 said:

Monk - 5 - still don't like him 

led by a average manager.

I then read THIS  👆

Yep.

Thought so.

Another one of those who will obviously slate Monk obsessively no matter what positives and improvements happen, whilst everyone else has moved on, recognised the improvements and total change in almost everything at SWFC and who will give credit where it's due.

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

WOW

Read this 👆

Immediately thought "either this fella's not watched the match OR (most likely) he's one of those with an anti-monk agenda

I then read THIS  👆

Yep.

Thought so.

Another one of those who will obviously slate Monk obsessively no matter what positives and improvements happen, whilst everyone else has moved on, recognised the improvements and total change in almost everything at SWFC and who will give credit where it's due.

We are much more solid i accept that but again yesterday like so so many times under monk we created very few if any clear cut chances. 

Following you on twitter you are either garry monk himself or you are his agent. 

He won 4 games out of 24 and the team was a disaster. Most of those players he used are still here. 

People lauding yesterday's performance really must have very low standards. We repeatedly kicked the ball out of play. 

We couldn't beat the first man on any set pieces 

Dawson kicked the ball out of play at least 4 times. 

Yesterday was okay don't get me wrong but it wasn't nearly good enough if we are to get out of this. 

1 shot on target at home. Are you really satisfied with that? 

Alot of huff and puff but with no real end result. 

How did king garry change it up? He brought a RB on for a LB and then put our only winger at LB. 

Also yes watford are a good side but almost all their 1st 11 was out injured. 

They had a 100m pounds worth of talent missing so we were in effect playing their reserves.

It was a average performance and a average result. 

Let's not make out that monk is now peak bielsa as he isnt. 

He has changed very little its the same mundane long ball hoof and hope that we were subjected to last season. 

Only difference is we have windass kachunga and brown who will put the graft in chasing the lost causes. 

A win on the 1st day of the season (Luton won on the 1st day of the season) means nothing. 

Yesterday Watford were there for the taking but we didn't have a single meaningful effort at goal. At home. 

We are stuck with monk, I accept that but that doesn't mean I have to like it. 

25 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Tom lees , another benefitting now the idiots have left . Much more like the player of old 

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

You weren't impressed then @Kenners3896?

Im not saying it was rubbish. It was just bang average. 

We had 1 shot on goal. At home. 

We were playing Watfords reserves not Barcelona. 

The system is solid so we won't concede many but we create very little from it. We have in effect a back seven bannan and luongo drop so deep. 

Back 7 is hard to break down. But offers little going forward 

Feels like we are starting again in terms of shape and being solid before working on how we create up top. 
Against Cardiff we used the channels for getting forward and we weren’t able to do that yesterday. 
Windass and Kachunga do give us an outlet with pace and in Brown and Bannan we do have chance to create - it will come as the games progress, just hope they stay fit 

Lees was excellent for me. Maybe it is just a coincidence but not having the responsibility of being captain, which always seemed like a role he was completely enamoured, has taken a weight off his shoulders and he can get back to being the no nonsense defender he was consistently when alongside Loovens.

Second half was a bit of a slog but 4 points from the two games we have had and two clean sheets considering were we were defensively last season is not to be sniffed at.

I am not about to crown Monk manager of the decade yet, afterall, Bullen started last season with two wins from two league games and Monk's first few games last season also yielded positive results and we all know how that ended up. However, the signs are encouraging and it would be harsh to be too critical of anyone for the performance yesterday.

I'm a bit surprised Dawson is the main contender to Lees in the man of the match poll. Yes he made two or 3 decent saves 2nd half but none of them were stops that you wouldn't expect a keeper to make at this level and there were a couple that he could've have done more with in terms of getting the ball out of the immediate danger area. That said, his clean sheet record overall is impressive and the start to the season will give his confidence a lift, long may it continue. 

17 hours ago, McRightSide said:

For a 9 I would expect some passes to go along with the clearances.

A few times we had to defend a throw deep in territory due to agricultural defending.

Good performance but certainly not one mark off faultlessly outstanding 

I agree his performance wasn't worthy of a 9 but nothing wrong with 'agricultural defending' at times, especially if you are aware of your limitations so an not to take undue risks by attempting to do too much. 

Des Walker was never one for playing sublime passes on a regular basis - not that I would compare Lees to Des in term of ability - just making the point that you don't have to be Beckenbauer to score well as a defender if you do your job properly.

25 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree his performance wasn't worthy of a 9 but nothing wrong with 'agricultural defending' at times, especially if you are aware of your limitations so an not to take undue risks by attempting to do too much. 

Des Walker was never one for playing sublime passes on a regular basis - not that I would compare Lees to Des in term of ability - just making the point that you don't have to be Beckenbauer to score well as a defender if you do your job properly.

That’s not what I’m saying though. I don’t expect him to be Beckenbauer, but I do expect him to not immediately play the ball out of play deep in our territory when it’s not needed

• Like 1