• Brown
    • Windass
    • Rhodes
    • Penney
    • Palmer (55)
    • Kachunga (69)
    • Reach (85)

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

That’s not what I’m saying though. I don’t expect him to be Beckenbauer, but I do expect him to not immediately play the ball out of play deep in our territory when it’s not needed

Don't think Lees did that too often yesterday. No nonsense defending allowed us to regroup and set up defensively, certainly didn't do any harm. Van Aken was more guilty of that, conceded a couple of corners when he could have cleared to the sidelines.  

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't think Lees did that too often yesterday. No nonsense defending allowed us to regroup and set up defensively, certainly didn't do any harm. Van Aken was more guilty of that, conceded a couple of corners when he could have cleared to the sidelines.  

The van Aken examples were just rash defending, that’s why I rated him a 5

Lees on a number of occasion calmly passed the ball into touch deep in our half. The calmness itself showed you that he could actually have taken other option rather than conceding territory so easily

I have no problem with the old if in doubt kick it out, but not when it’s not in doubt

Picked Van Aken because I couldn't pick Monk, lads like a new signing.

All of them again played well.

It was a brilliant point not going to grumble.

Again Monk had the team playing really well.

Point on the board all eyes on the next game 

This site is getting ridiculous...  for me m.o.m was luongo closely followed by lees ... anyone think dawson was m.o.m are nuts ....  i will back the lad but he parries everything and is rash with his kicking .. we are obviously going with him but I'd loved us to sign a new goalie 

On 20/09/2020 at 11:03, Kenners3896 said:

People lauding yesterday's performance really must have very low standards. We repeatedly kicked the ball out of play. 

We couldn't beat the first man on any set pieces 

Dawson kicked the ball out of play at least 4 times. 

I didnt see the game on Sunday so I'm very interested in this bit

When you say that we repeatedly kicked the ball out of play....I'm assuming that must be a total of at least 10......and yet the keeper kicks the ball out of play less than the outfield players.....and this is used as a stick to beat him despite him not conceding a goal for over 6 months

Should we be looking for a Sheridanesque keeper as opposed to someone who keeps the ball out of the net?

Or perhaps chuck £70million at someone who has it all...like say Kepa?

Guest Willow Owl

We are much more solid i accept that but again yesterday like so so many times under monk we created very few if any clear cut chances. 

Following you on twitter you are either garry monk himself or you are his agent. 

He won 4 games out of 24 and the team was a disaster. Most of those players he used are still here. 

People lauding yesterday's performance really must have very low standards. We repeatedly kicked the ball out of play. 

Yesterday was okay don't get me wrong but it wasn't nearly good enough if we are to get out of this. 

1 shot on target at home. Are you really satisfied with that? 

Alot of huff and puff but with no real end result. 

How did king garry change it up? He brought a RB on for a LB and then put our only winger at LB. 

Also yes watford are a good side but almost all their 1st 11 was out injured. 

They had a 100m pounds worth of talent missing so we were in effect playing their reserves.

It was a average performance and a average result. 

Let's not make out that monk is now peak bielsa as he isnt. 

He has changed very little its the same mundane long ball hoof and hope that we were subjected to last season. 

Only difference is we have windass kachunga and brown who will put the graft in chasing the lost causes. 

A win on the 1st day of the season (Luton won on the 1st day of the season) means nothing. 

Yesterday Watford were there for the taking but we didn't have a single meaningful effort at goal. At home. 

We are stuck with monk, I accept that but that doesn't mean I have to like it. 

Just to put a little context to things.Their  starting 11 cost nearly 40 million. Hardly a team of reserves, just a large expensive squad. Tom Cleverley alone was 8 million.

4 points against 2 of the fancied teams in the league is a better start than most thought it would be. Early days but well done Wednesday, well done Monk. 

Tom Lees man of match 

Guest Willow Owl
On 20/09/2020 at 12:21, McRightSide said:

The van Aken examples were just rash defending, that’s why I rated him a 5

Lees on a number of occasion calmly passed the ball into touch deep in our half. The calmness itself showed you that he could actually have taken other option rather than conceding territory so easily

I have no problem with the old if in doubt kick it out, but not when it’s not in doubt

According to the stats Lees had an 86% pass completion rate. 

Lees marshalled the defence expertly. Seems perfect for the centre of a three. Lacks some pace but can read the game. MoM for me. 

Honourable mention to Luongo, arrived as a B2B midfielder who like to break into the area. Now doing a great job as a ball winner to let the more creative mids do their thing. 

9 hours ago, Ian said:

I didnt see the game on Sunday so I'm very interested in this bit

When you say that we repeatedly kicked the ball out of play....I'm assuming that must be a total of at least 10......and yet the keeper kicks the ball out of play less than the outfield players.....and this is used as a stick to beat him despite him not conceding a goal for over 6 months

Should we be looking for a Sheridanesque keeper as opposed to someone who keeps the ball out of the net?

Or perhaps chuck £70million at someone who has it all...like say Kepa?

We played on Saturday so you would have had to have been watching a replay to see it on Sunday anyway.

I have been critical of Dawson's kicking in the past and it has cost of goals and put us under pressure. The wind was a small factor against Watford and he skewed a couple 2nd half but nothing to be too critical of. His kicking was good against Walsall too.

His catching/parrying wasn't great and he held his hands up to this a couple of times which is why I was surprised so many voted him man of the match. His clean sheet record is excellent, long may it continue as his struggles have come when conceding early, he rarely only concedes 1 or 2 when this happens.   

We are much more solid i accept that but again yesterday like so so many times under monk we created very few if any clear cut chances. 

Following you on twitter you are either garry monk himself or you are his agent. 

He won 4 games out of 24 and the team was a disaster. Most of those players he used are still here. 

Yesterday was okay don't get me wrong but it wasn't nearly good enough if we are to get out of this. 

1 shot on target at home. Are you really satisfied with that? 

Alot of huff and puff but with no real end result. 

How did king garry change it up? He brought a RB on for a LB and then put our only winger at LB. 

Also yes watford are a good side but almost all their 1st 11 was out injured. 

They had a 100m pounds worth of talent missing so we were in effect playing their reserves.

It was a average performance and a average result. 

Let's not make out that monk is now peak bielsa as he isnt. 

He has changed very little its the same mundane long ball hoof and hope that we were subjected to last season. 

Only difference is we have windass kachunga and brown who will put the graft in chasing the lost causes. 

A win on the 1st day of the season (Luton won on the 1st day of the season) means nothing. 

Yesterday Watford were there for the taking but we didn't have a single meaningful effort at goal. At home. 

We are stuck with monk, I accept that but that doesn't mean I have to like it. 

You do talk rubbish.

” We couldn’t beat the first man from set pieces” you say 

Yet we missed the best two chances of the game with headers from set pieces.

Don’t those two count

Very difficult to choose. Longo did excellent job and was consistent in both halves.

I gave it Windass as he put in a fabulous block in his own box in second half. Showed absolute commitment to cause.

All team put effort and that is all you can expect. Did not have fortune with them in he game otherwise would have been sewn up at half time.