Macclesfield Wound Up, Will Others Follow?

33 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Clubs like macclesfield should be semi-pro..you cant sustain a proffesiondl club on crowds of 2k

Technically we have struggled to sustain a professional club for the last 20 years.

Even with a poor squad we lost millions each year.

Maybe we should be semi-pro?

Player wages, transfer fee and agents fees have and will continue to destroy football clubs.

Edited by Malkmus
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Malkmus said:

Technically we have struggled to sustain a professional club for the last 20 years.

Even with a poor squad we lost millions each year.

Maybe we should be semi-pro?

Player wages, transfer fee and agents fees have and will continue to destroy football clubs.

This. Attendances don't even cover player wages nevermind running costs.

• Like 2

Writing was on the wall considering their winding-up petition began in January 2019.

EFL wanted them out of the league and appeal in order to secure relegation for them. The club has been slowly but surely ran into the ground, horrible to see. Staff/players waking up to go to work and losing their jobs.

Saddening to see but it won't be the last.

1 hour ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

And showing he can learn from his previous mistakes and change the culture and recruitment ethos.

Our spending of the last couple of years has also been consistent with having limited resources available. There are numerous potential reasons for that, some more troubling than others. I'm yet to be convinced what the actual reason(s) might be.

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
46 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Sick of seeing 'football is dying'..it really isnt

It's certainly not, never has game been more popular.

Amazon and Netflix desperate to join the party and already dipping their toe in nicely with the documentaries.

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

He isn't as wealthy as we've been led to believe ?

He owes money to silent investors from countries near Spain ?

Who knows.

I like the way you hint at knowing something, when we all know deep down you know the sweet sum of f all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Oh right, so you know f.vck all as well then.

All I'm saying is that our spending is consistent with having limited funding available. I have no idea of Chansiri's resources and don't pretend to. Maybe the chairman has lost interest or has no appetite for these kind of long-term losses and is looking for a buyer? It could be down to ongoing concerns about the league's financial restrictions for example with our latest accounts still unpublished and no guidance about allowances made for COVID-19 conditions. What we're doing seems less consistent with having plenty of money available and merely choosing to be prudent. So far, the only fee we've paid to rebuild a squad that was threadbare in places is somewhere in the region of half a million quid and none of the new arrivals are likely to be in the top few earners either. 

Just speculation and not claiming otherwise. No need to be such an aggressive tool about it.

• Like 5

Just now, DJMortimer said:

All I'm saying is that our spending is consistent with having limited funding available. I have no idea of Chansiri's resources and don't pretend to. Maybe the chairman has lost interest or has no appetite for these kind of long-term losses and is looking for a buyer? It could be down to ongoing concerns about the league's financial restrictions for example with our latest accounts still unpublished and no guidance about allowances made for COVID-19 conditions. What we're doing seems less consistent with having plenty of money available and merely choosing to be prudent. So far, the only fee we've paid to rebuild a squad that was threadbare in places is somewhere in the region of half a million quid and none of the new arrivals are likely to be in the top few earners either. 

Just speculation and not claiming otherwise. No need to be such an aggressive tool about it.

Tbf, I much prefer this current approach to the ******* loads approach of a few years ago. 

I suspect the reasons are multiple tbh. Chansiri wouldn't exactly be the first owner to have pumped a load of cash in at first and then turn the tap off (to an extent) when success wasn't forthcoming. 

Plus, you have all the issues with FFP and so on. 

• Like 2