Rochdale -v-Wednesday (League Cup) OMDT

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

OOOO you can't say that about Reach, your gonna cop for it now, take cover.

I’ve always been a fan of Reach and yes it was against Rochdale, but his closing down and positional play were brilliant. It was his quick thinking that created our second goal. I felt gutted he didn’t score tonight.

A lot to like about that performance, especially the 2nd half.

Our appetite to win the ball back was something we haven't seen since 2015. Not only did we press high, but we were positive in trying to intercept balls all over the pitch. Very impressive.

I thought our assurance on the ball was, again, something we haven't seen for many a year. I know the opposition weren't much cop (to be fair, I think we made them a lot worse than they are), but we've played some rubbish in the past 3/4 years, and never looked so comfortable on the ball, as we did today. The back three looked confident, and had options either from midfield or out wide, almost constantly.

And thirdly, the amount of quality chances we created. Either from incisive interplay, forcing mistakes high up the pitch or clever, well-worked set pieces. We've won at a canter...but, we've missed some sitters. That probably the only downside to tonight. 

All that, given we changed the entire line-up from Saturday, is mightily impressive. Nothing to get too carried away over...but, if that's a sample of how Monk wants us to perform week-in, week-out, the omens can only be positive. Lets hope that positive mindset transcends over to the much tougher task ahead, against Watford on Saturday. 

• Like 4

Pleased with that. Hate to tempt fate, but we're starting to look a decent team. Particularly impressed with being able to interchange personnel into the system, while still looking coherent. 

Nobody had a poor game, thought everyone did well. I picked them out at half time, but thought Shaw and Hunt were excellent. Dele-Bashiru also had a better second half and showed what he's about. 

All in all, been a very good start to the season. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I’ve always been a fan of Reach and yes it was against Rochdale, but his closing down and positional play were brilliant. It was his quick thinking that created our second goal. I felt gutted he didn’t score tonight.

I'm a Reach fan myself not watched the game tonight but he's a genuine player and is a real quality player. 

Pleased we have him.

Positivity at a start of the season, looks like Monk and back room staff are getting a tune out of them.

Really impressive to see academy players come in and replicate the same philosophy. Saturday against Watford will really show what we are capable of against a strong side. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Dele gets my vote for MOM today. Kept things ticking over in midfield all game.

Another game where its difficult to pick from three or four players for MoM. I thought Dele look great in possesion of the ball. Did'nt waste a pass and strong on the ball, and athletic. Something we have lacked in recent years.

Bodes well again, especially considering thats pretty much a second IX which has started compared to the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Different opinion here, I thought FDB bossed that game and he’s 19 years old making his 2nd appearance in professional football.   Will be interesting how he looks on a bigger pitch with a bit more space, not being harassed on league 1 pitches.  

He definitely grew into the game and had a stronger 45 but I thought he looked just a bit behind Alex Hunt overall in terms of threatening the first 11, bags and bags of potential though , and accept the point made above that Walsall was his pro debut 

Alex Hunt I think is a serious prospect,  and Brennan has impressed all night  

6 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Positivity at a start of the season, looks like Monk and back room staff are getting a tune out of them.

Really impressive to see academy players come in and replicate the same philosophy. Saturday against Watford will really show what we are capable of against a strong side. 

Agree. Performance and positive result Saturday and it will be job well done as a start to the season