Players we signed who were too good for us

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Kenwyne Jones - A relative unknown when we signed him but 7 goals in 7 matches at League One level proved he was far too good for where we were at the time

Madjid Bougherra - A rock at the back and those darting runs into the opposition half were exceptional. I was gutted when he was sold

Ross Barkley - He was tipped to be the new Lampard/Gerrard so was something of a surprise when we signed him on loan. Showed glimpses of his potential but was much younger back then. Still chipped in with 4 or 5 goals if my memory is correct

Scott Carson - He was superb during a loan spell, a class above. Much younger back then and was considered a future England International

Can anyone think of any others?

Carbone and Di cannio

None of the 90s names mentioned were too good for us. We had some top half premier league finishes in that decade and they were the level of player we should’ve been getting rather than the average ones we got instead. 

Since then we’ve had plenty who ordinarily should be lucky to play here under ideal circumstances but we’re capable of a higher level at the time. That’s part of the reason why they ended up here on loan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Roland Nilsson Des Walker I’m just going to end naming that great team aren’t I?

But they weren’t too good for us at that time, we were a team that got to cup finals, were  tipped to win the league and had a team full of internationals?

Edited by DirtyLeedsOwl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Big Gerald Sibon is a great shout.  We had some absolute mugs in that team in the Championship and Sibon kept us up.  When Turner got rid he condemned us to relegation.

To think we moved Sibon on and brought Darryl Powell in on the same day. That in a nutshell sums up all the years of mis-management and woeful decision making

Edited by IWEDFM

3 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Weirdest thread I've ever had the misfortune to come across on here.

No player was, is or will ever be too good for us.  I don't want to be controversial, but if you think differently, you are supporting the wrong club.

Totally agree 

1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

Tommy Craig.

He was far to good for us, he could have literally played for anyone.

But the daft git jumped on board as we got relegated to D2 the year he joined and D3 just before he left.......often wondered if he regretted the move.

While had a good career you have to think how much better it could have been if he hadnt wasted 4 years slumming it in 2nd division with us......

3 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Weirdest thread I've ever had the misfortune to come across on here.

No player was, is or will ever be too good for us.  I don't want to be controversial, but if you think differently, you are supporting the wrong club.

You really are dim aren't you, as i've said above not too good to play for Wednesday but in terms of ability of where we were at the time. Take Antonio as an example he was too good to play for us in League One. He was at least a Championship standard player at the time and was playing below his level

• Like 2

Just now, IWEDFM said:

You really are dim aren't you, as i've said above not too good to play for Wednesday but in terms of ability of where we were at the time. Take Antonio as an example he was too good to play for us in League One. He was at least a Championship standard player at the time and was playing below his level

Sorry mate, I disagree.  No player will ever be too good to play for Wednesday, no matter what the circumstances are.  No real fan would say otherwise.

• Like 4

Just now, The_Limit_Owl said:

Antonio's career was on an upward trajectory though, at the time he played for us he was a good League One player, he then did it at Championship level, despite that unforgivable period when he to5sed it off in his last few games for us, before starting for West Ham in the Prem, he was never "too good" for us though.

I think he was too good for that level. No other player in League One that year would have finished the way he did vs Wycombe for the first goal. True he got even better after he left us but he was still a cut above for that league at that time. His pace, his finishing, just miles ahead of anyone else in our promotion year