Players we signed who were too good for us

I think the OP got his title wrong.

If we look at the standard of the team when some of the players mentioned played then you could say they were a cut above the rest, but all teams have their better players and build a team around them.

I dont think you can count loan player like Scott Carson in that category. SC did very well in an Owls shirt and to some extent propelled his career while here on loan as did other loanee.

No player is too good to play for the Owls. Its how they are used and built around.

Maybe the title should have been. How many missed opportunities have we missed to build a team around good players. 

If we could have held on to some of our players like Chris Brunt, Glen Whelan etc things could have been much different. But then if English clubs had not been banned in Europe due to scum fans just as we were entering that competition, again then things could be different.

Lots of if, but, maybes and missed opportunities. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zzmdu said:

Nicolas Alexanderson, if he had joined a few seasons earlier he would have played with similar level players, but the good ones left as he arrived.

Understood why he left for Everton.

He was my first thought. He stood out like a sore thumb amongst the crap that he played with. 

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Gerald Sibon -  would have been pure dynamite with a better team around him
You could  see the absolute resignation in his play every time a team mate messed up

I have to agree, he could pick out a place for a great ball and no one would be there, got lazy through in his 3rd season, was a favourite of mine 

15 minutes ago, capetownowl said:

I think the OP got his title wrong.

If we look at the standard of the team when some of the players mentioned played then you could say they were a cut above the rest, but all teams have their better players and build a team around them.

I dont think you can count loan player like Scott Carson in that category. SC did very well in an Owls shirt and to some extent propelled his career while here on loan as did other loanee.

No player is too good to play for the Owls. Its how they are used and built around.

Maybe the title should have been. How many missed opportunities have we missed to build a team around good players. 

If we could have held on to some of our players like Chris Brunt, Glen Whelan etc things could have been much different. But then if English clubs had not been banned in Europe due to scum fans just as we were entering that competition, again then things could be different.

Lots of if, but, maybes and missed opportunities. 

this. If a players outstanding ,it makes him player of the season,not too good for us

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Regi Blinker, was streets in front of everyone around him...

Blinker was that forward thinking he was fouling players before they had recieved the ball ..

That's my take on it ..

With that forward thinking he would have made a good  professional Snooker Player ..

Sid.png.815420bc82c812430f04f8db78f57ca0.png

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Django said:

Di Canio, Carbone, Nilsson were world class players who wouldnt have looked out of place at any club, apart from those none have been too good for Wednesday since I started going 

I think ‘World class’ is an overused phrase. I would say Nilsson was world class and Waddle was possibly in the 92/93 season. We haven’t in my lifetime had any world class players other than the two mentioned above.

Di Canio very very good, but to suggest Carbone was world class is staggering. He was a very good player though.

• Like 2