Players we signed who were too good for us

Just now, zzmdu said:

Nicolas Alexanderson, if he had joined a few seasons earlier he would have played with similar level players, but the good ones left as he arrived.

Understood why he left for Everton.

Loved Alexanderson

I'll never forget his goal at White Hart Lane on my birthday to defeat Spurs 1-0

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

Kenwyne Jones - A relative unknown when we signed him but 7 goals in 7 matches at League One level proved he was far too good for where we were at the time

Madjid Bougherra - A rock at the back and those darting runs into the opposition half were exceptional. I was gutted when he was sold

Ross Barkley - He was tipped to be the new Lampard/Gerrard so was something of a surprise when we signed him on loan. Showed glimpses of his potential but was much younger back then. Still chipped in with 4 or 5 goals if my memory is correct

Scott Carson - He was superb during a loan spell, a class above. Much younger back then and was considered a future England International

Can anyone think of any others?

Dejan Stefanovich   became one of Europe's best strikers when he left us. Oops meant Kovavavic.  Marc Degreyse.

Edited by Harrysgame

Just now, Tea Baggins said:

Interestingly now Atty Nuhiu's strike partner for his new club.

Wow didn't know Sahar was still playing

So there could be an all ex-Owls strikeforce in the Europa League this season 

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

Kenwyne Jones - A relative unknown when we signed him but 7 goals in 7 matches at League One level proved he was far too good for where we were at the time

Madjid Bougherra - A rock at the back and those darting runs into the opposition half were exceptional. I was gutted when he was sold

Ross Barkley - He was tipped to be the new Lampard/Gerrard so was something of a surprise when we signed him on loan. Showed glimpses of his potential but was much younger back then. Still chipped in with 4 or 5 goals if my memory is correct

Scott Carson - He was superb during a loan spell, a class above. Much younger back then and was considered a future England International

Can anyone think of any others?

Carson saved our season - he was so good the whole team could play much further up the pitch knowing he could effectively sweep up, amazing keeper, unlucky not to get the chance to show it at one of the top, top clubs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rikowl said:

Carson saved our season - he was so good the whole team could play much further up the pitch knowing he could effectively sweep up, amazing keeper, unlucky not to get the chance to show it at one of the top, top clubs.

Went to watch us at Crewe away that season, and we were absolutely abject, one of the worst performances I've seen us have. 

We lost 3-0 and it could have been a cricket score but for Carson. Pulled off save after save, some unreal. 

Shame Schteve played him in his first game in a crucial qualifier in a torrential downpour, deserved better, but confidence was shot after that. 

Edited by CalmJimmers

17 minutes ago, rikowl said:

England goalkeeper curse , look the real deal then their confidence gets shot to bits . Carson, hart , Pickford just to name three