Luongo backing Rhodes

2 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

He should have muscled up a bit like Fletcher did, unless you have pace or trickery you are going to be involved in physical battles and he just doesn't doesn't have the strength to hold off a challenge.

As other have said if you take a look at Sharp at United he is far stronger than he was 5 years ago.

You can't compare fletcher with Rhodes. They are literally in different leagues. Rhodes is in a different class to Fletcher. Their records speak for themselves. Also, fletcher has been a crock all his career. 

And what really matters, they are completely different players style wise. 

We should never have signed Rhodes as we don't play the sort of game and have the type of players that can accommodate his playing style 

Against Forest Rhodes scored a brilliant hatrick. Next match he was paired with a complete zombie in Nuhui. Thats a total waste of time. 

Rhodes is never going to be grafter, an up and down man. He's pure goalscorer. That is it. 

His record speaks for itself 

• Like 1

For whatever reason the player is shot. It

may be mental, it may be physical , it might be a combination of the two.  But he is shot.  I feel sorry for the player as I don’t know how someone gets out of that rut. When he plays he does what i would call following the formula. We all have off days on the pitch when the legs or head aren’t right. On those days you follow the formula. You make your runs, you make your challenges and you do your marking and movement at set plays. You basically tick enough boxes to not look like you have stunk the place out and you go back to the dressing room. 

Rhodes plays like that every game. He makes the runs, he does his work, but he can’t get his head or body into a place where he is happy taking risks, or doing the stuff that at the end of the day leads to good goals. 

if we are going to play him then I would tell him to basically goal hang. He won’t want to as doing that and not scoring is proper 1 out of 10 ratings stuff which i think he is terrified of. But the ‘ hard work’ is doing him no good at all as a player. 

Just now, mcmigo said:

For whatever reason the player is shot. It

may be mental, it may be physical , it might be a combination of the two.  But he is shot.  I feel sorry for the player as I don’t know how someone gets out of that rut. When he plays he does what i would call following the formula. We all have off days on the pitch when the legs or head aren’t right. On those days you follow the formula. You make your runs, you make your challenges and you do your marking and movement at set plays. You basically tick enough boxes to not look like you have stunk the place out and you go back to the dressing room. 

Rhodes plays like that every game. He makes the runs, he does his work, but he can’t get his head or body into a place where he is happy taking risks, or doing the stuff that at the end of the day leads to good goals. 

if we are going to play him then I would tell him to basically goal hang. He won’t want to as doing that and not scoring is proper 1 out of 10 ratings stuff which i think he is terrified of. But the ‘ hard work’ is doing him no good at all as a player. 

Yes he needs to goal hang. That's how he scores his goals. But he needs the ball. It's that simple. 

The match against Leicester he didn't get a single ball to feet in the box. 

In fact, he rarely gets a ball to feet in box 

Just look at how he scores his goals and that tells you how to play him. 

I don't think we've got any players at present that can supply Rhodes consistently 

Bannan isn't up to it. Luongo isn't up to it 

The new players may be. 

We've made a complete mess of Rhodes talents. We've wasted them. 

I said before we signed him that he wasn't our kind of player. 

If you aren't going to give him the ball in the box then don't play him as it's a waste of time. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

Yes he needs to goal hang. That's how he scores his goals. But he needs the ball. It's that simple. 

The match against Leicester he didn't get a single ball to feet in the box. 

In fact, he rarely gets a ball to feet in box 

Just look at how he scores his goals and that tells you how to play him. 

I don't think we've got any players at present that can supply Rhodes consistently 

Bannan isn't up to it. Luongo isn't up to it 

The new players may be. 

We've made a complete mess of Rhodes talents. We've wasted them. 

I said before we signed him that he wasn't our kind of player. 

If you aren't going to give him the ball in the box then don't play him as it's a waste of time. 

He has to get himself in those positions in the box too, watch some old highlights of him then watch him in our next match, he's so much more static than he used to be even when he's in the area.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, debram said:

Harris said similar too, they are both deranged, he may do the right things in training but when it counts he has not deliverd for years, he's finished as a prolific striker at this level. 

I said in another post, last season Rhodes was given a run of 4 starts.. that's the most consecutive starts (by a distance!) that he's had since the start of 2018. If we never play the lad, he's never going to find form. We seem to just not play the lad and they say he's garbage. It's pretty strange tbh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like many enigmas before, this is his year to shine. Final year of a contract brings out the best in many of our past misfiring players. I'd back Rhodes to have his most prolific season with us this year, wont be hard but I'm sure he will score double figures at least.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Like many enigmas before, this is his year to shine. Final year of a contract brings out the best in many of our past misfiring players. I'd back Rhodes to have his most prolific season with us this year, wont be hard but I'm sure he will score double figures at least.

Hope so.

Not sure how he'll link up with Windass if that's the only guy we bring in.

They don't seem like players that would bring the best out of each other.

Just now, cookeh said:

Hope so.

Agree they don’t look like a partnership to me.

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

Hope so.

Maybe Windass does the graft, while Rhodes scores goals. I'm fed up of managers asking Rhodes to track back, link up play or lead the line. Just tell him to stay in the box/on the shoulder and score goals! 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Maybe Windass does the graft, while Rhodes scores goals. I'm fed up of managers asking Rhodes to track back, link up play or lead the line. Just tell him to stay in the box/on the shoulder and score goals! 

Totally agree mate.

Thinking outside the box, I just wonder how one of the best goal 'sniffers' Gary Lineker would have fared being asked to play like Rhodes has been.

Not saying Rhodes is on a par with Lineker obviously, but he didn't exactly put himself about but teams played to his strengths.

I fail to see how Rhodes can do what he did against Forest. Right foot, left foot, header, all good goals & be completely finished. 

Given the supply, he can clearly still do it, as that game showed.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Totally agree mate.

Thinking outside the box, I just wonder how one of the best goal 'sniffers' Gary Lineker would have fared being asked to play like Rhodes has been.

Not saying Rhodes is on a par with Lineker obviously, but he didn't exactly put himself about but teams played to his strengths.

I fail to see how Rhodes can do what he did against Forest. Right foot, left foot, header, all good goals & be completely finished. 

He won't do this.

As per my earlier post, he knows that a game spent in effect being a box striker with no real other contribution is a guaranteed 1 out of 10 rating if you dont score.    Whereas a game spent hustling, chasing, tracking back ,linking play, marking your man at set plays gets you a 5 if you dont score.  I think he is terrified of failure and terrified that he isnt the scorer he used to be.  So he defaults to follow the formula work to get his 5 out of 10.

23 hours ago, cookeh said:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/jordan-rhodes-sheffield-wednesday-goals-18856651

"Through the downs, as much he had his downs, he's one of the most professional players I've come across."

"I think strikers can go games without scoring. But he'll run and cover the most ground, and defend more than any other striker I've worked with."

"There are things I see, because I play with him every day so he does that without recognition."
"I know, whether he scores or not, he's definitely valuable to the team. The Jordan Rhodes everyone knows of, he's still here. I've seen him in training and he's deadly."

This sound like when Bannan last season told us the were working hard and going to win one for the fans then the next game comes and the same inept and gash performance is put out.

Rhodes has done nothing for 4 years to suggest he is suddenly going to start scoring goals add to that we have very poor wingers currently at the club in Harris and Odabajo (I know that's our options on the right and Reach never plays on the wing) who are not providing the service for the strikers. 

Look back at Rhodes over the years, how many of his goals come from punts up field, or cross field balls or, how many come from the winger getting to the byline and cutting a cross back in for him, to head it in inside the 6 yard box.

23 hours ago, cookeh said:

I think Rhodes being the only striker on teh books might be great for him. He might actually get a run of games, which is what any striker needs to get in the groove and start scoring regularly.

Last season he wasnt used from the start in a league game until december!

His 2nd start he scored the hattrick.
He only got 2 more starts before Monk dumped him back on the bench.
That was his longest run in the side. 4 starts. Hardly enough to get going.

And it was his longest run of starts he's had for us since January 2018!

If he gets 10-15 starts at the start of this season then who knows, he might finallyt hit that groove and we'll get the player we want him to be.

Absolutely agree with this .. for me Rhodes probably should have never stopped playing when he started and bagged that hat trick .. just kept him in until the end of the season, or even have played him after lockdown till the end of the season

Seems like a player that needs a run of games to get back in to his stride, defo not an impact player, and no with us signing Kachunga and potentially Windass, if those 2 are up top along side him, that might actually work out well

5 years.

4 clubs.

2 divisions.

9 managers.

Endless team mates.

God knows how many formations and tactics.

156 appearances.

32 goals in all competitions.

"Never mind those other blokes scoring goals for us - the service is to blame."

"Forget all the managers that have sent him to the bench - none of them have any idea how to use him."

"Almost no transfer interest? Well, it's not as if we've been in financial trouble or he's been in the stands all the time."

And STILL the ugly sisters are desperately trying to force Cinderella's shoe on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

You can't compare fletcher with Rhodes. They are literally in different leagues. Rhodes is in a different class to Fletcher. Their records speak for themselves. Also, fletcher has been a crock all his career. 

And what really matters, they are completely different players style wise. 

We should never have signed Rhodes as we don't play the sort of game and have the type of players that can accommodate his playing style 

Against Forest Rhodes scored a brilliant hatrick. Next match he was paired with a complete zombie in Nuhui. Thats a total waste of time. 

Rhodes is never going to be grafter, an up and down man. He's pure goalscorer. That is it. 

His record speaks for itself 

apart from he cant score 

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

5 years.

4 clubs.

2 divisions.

9 managers.

Endless team mates.

God knows how many formations and tactics.

156 appearances.

32 goals in all competitions.

"Never mind those other blokes scoring goals for us - the service is to blame."

"Forget all the managers that have sent him to the bench - none of them have any idea how to use him."

"Almost no transfer interest? Well, it's not as if we've been in financial trouble or he's been in the stands all the time."

And STILL the ugly sisters are desperately trying to force Cinderella's shoe on.

Not convinced then?

7 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Totally agree mate.

Nothing he's asked to do as our striker is stopping him also getting in the box, he used to be able to do those things at Huddersfield and Blackburn as well as score, he's holding up the ball 3 or 4 times a match, he's hardly a work horse.

He never had much pace and whatever he did have has gone, coupled with him being incredibly weak it's now very easy for defenders to mark him in the box, he just doesn't get away from anyone anymore.