Luongo backing Rhodes

52 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

£8M and £30K+ a week for a striker who has only looked capable when paired alongside one specific other player, not good enough I'm afraid and not sure there are any signs that will change anytime soon. 

Agreed, but we are where we are.

Weve only got Rhodes. Let’s hope the next forward we bring in blends with him as well as Fletcher clearly did.

The Fletcher and Rhodes partnership weren't more effective than Rhodes and anyone else because Rhodes played any better (other than 30 minutes against Forest), they were effective because Fletcher was on the pitch and he's a very good striker at this level, far better than anyone else we had.

Rhodes was still slow, ineffective, not getting close to scoring, and not being involved enough in the game.

Looks like he's going to be our player again this season so I'll back him if we can attend matches again.

2 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

The Fletcher and Rhodes partnership weren't more effective than Rhodes and anyone else because Rhodes played any better (other than 30 minutes against Forest), they were effective because Fletcher was on the pitch and he's a very good striker at this level, far better than anyone else we had.

Rhodes was still slow, ineffective, not getting close to scoring, and not being involved enough in the game.

Looks like he's going to be our player again this season so I'll back him if we can attend matches again.

I will back him....if we have to, but it’s grim....he’s shiiite, nice lad, but unfortunately shiiite. UTO.

4 hours ago, A12owl said:

They obviously had people playing the way Rhodes needed. If only Monk/Beattie can unlock the goalscoring machine that Was Jordan Rhodes. 

I don’t think **** has a clue how to get the best out of him otherwise he’d be busting a gut to sign a target man.

I still don’t think **** sees him as an important player but while he remains our only recognised striker he obviously is.

25 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

A "striker" who has scored around 26 league goals in 4 and a half years, And people think Beattie is going to make him click!

Nope. There's just a minority (it seems) who hope he will. 

Edited by poite

7 hours ago, striker said:

That's a big problem, football is increasingly becoming more athletic and the speed of the game has increased. Those without pace struggle and tend to stand out in a bad way. 

From Rhoees point of view, the days of lumbering defenders are mostly gone, certainly at Championship level, defensive recovery time improved and space in the box reduced. This is probably why he struggles, the last time he got into double figures was 2015/16 since then he's only scored 28 goals.  Looks to me like an old fashioned footballer, playing modern day football and games usually pass him by. 

A lot of us spent years bemoaning how slow and ineffective Nuhiu was. But he always looked more mobile than Rhodes, which sadly, says it all.

13 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

So even a minority means my comment was correct??

Not really. Hoping something will happen is different to thinking something will happen. 

I hope that wednesday win the league. But I don't think they will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A12owl said:

He isn't and never has been a one man goal machine who creates his own goals. He needs someone to feed the ball where he gets on the end of it. I would guess that most of his goals have come from crosses rather than through balls. 

He needs wingers and someone he can attack knockdowns from. He ain't quick but he's intelligent and brave. 

I'll say it again, play to his strengths with the right support and he will score. 

I hope. 

If only we had a player who could cross the ball...

Bannan at left wing back anyone?

Guest Therealrealist
10 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

You watch the 4-4 match.  In the last minute he's running past our whole defence.

Still can’t understand why read didn’t chop him down..if we had won 4-3 it wud have been up there as one of the best games in recent history..he shud have took a red for the team😡 Reda not read

Edited by Therealrealist

We have plenty of creativity. We had more width last season. We had target men to play alongside him. But nothing as worked. The Rhodes of his Huddersfield and Blackburn days are gone. Rhodes was an unnecessary signing at the time. He had already lost his way at Middlesbrough. Apart from one game against Forest, he's done nothing in a Wednesday shirt. A terrible signing, we should never have signed. 

Hopefully we've learned the harsh lesson of buying players on the wane and hanging onto players with no re-sale value. The recent astute signings of the likes of Iorfa; Harris, FDB and the loans of Murphy last season and now Brown, indicate the way we should go about it. I can't see Rhodes coming good during his time here, we'll hopefully have moved on and we'll loan in or sign some dynamic athletic young strikers with potential or re-sale value. 

Rhodes is a 1 or 2 touch striker. always has been, always will be. Hes also a confidence player.

Confidence players tend not to do as well here because our fan base has a really vile side to it that think's statement like "if tha wants t'pay me fotty grand a week, tha can call me what tha likes" excuses behaving towards young men in a way they would never tolerate being treated themselves. Under any circumstances. Never mind that most of the people behaving like that are likely to be perennial underachievers that believe a 200 quid stoney top purchased on a credit card makes them some kind of a success. 

It remains to be seen if Rhodes is a player that can still be successful in a game that's undoubtedly changed to favor pacey strikers. We've certainly never consistently played to his strengths. The only way we will ever have any success with Rhodes is to repeatedly put balls on a plate for him. I still think that player exists but he need to be force-fed a confidence I don't know that our fan base is able to deliver anymore.

Edited by archway-owl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

If only we had a player who could cross the ball...

Bannan at left wing back anyone?

Adam Reach. 

Best crosser on our books. Left-footed. Great engine. Hundreds of games at LW. Fifty games at LB.

But we use him on RW or CM, and even striker.

Sheesh. 

• Like 2

Ire simple how to maximise Rhodes prodigious talents. 

To be effective he absolutely must play in a two man attack and he needs ball to feet 

He flopped primarily at Middlesbrough because they played him alone up front

Look at his record and that tells any competent manager how to play him. 

Due to mismanagement we only have one striker at club at present and I'm not convinced we have to players with the ability and commitment to consistently give the supply he needs. 

Rhodes is not the sort of player who will go back to midfield and graft for the ball 

Just as players like Dennis Law weren't. Give law the ball to feet in the box and it was invariably a goal. His positional sense etc was that good. 

It's often said that Bannan is the best midfielder in the championship. Then prove it. If he's that good that start to give Rhodes some decent passes. 

If Wednesday can develop some kind of midfield quality and vision then Rhodes can still score 20 goals a season. 

If only. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cookeh said:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/jordan-rhodes-sheffield-wednesday-goals-18856651

"Through the downs, as much he had his downs, he's one of the most professional players I've come across."

"I think strikers can go games without scoring. But he'll run and cover the most ground, and defend more than any other striker I've worked with."

"There are things I see, because I play with him every day so he does that without recognition."
"I know, whether he scores or not, he's definitely valuable to the team. The Jordan Rhodes everyone knows of, he's still here. I've seen him in training and he's deadly."

Harris said similar too, they are both deranged, he may do the right things in training but when it counts he has not deliverd for years, he's finished as a prolific striker at this level. 

• Like 1