Luongo backing Rhodes

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/jordan-rhodes-sheffield-wednesday-goals-18856651

"Through the downs, as much he had his downs, he's one of the most professional players I've come across."

"I think strikers can go games without scoring. But he'll run and cover the most ground, and defend more than any other striker I've worked with."

"There are things I see, because I play with him every day so he does that without recognition."
"I know, whether he scores or not, he's definitely valuable to the team. The Jordan Rhodes everyone knows of, he's still here. I've seen him in training and he's deadly."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

He does actually work really hard chasing down defenders.  I honestly don't think you can call him lazy.  But his lack of pace doesn't make that particularly effective.  And then he has to get in the box which is 40 yards away.

That's a big problem, football is increasingly becoming more athletic and the speed of the game has increased. Those without pace struggle and tend to stand out in a bad way. 

From Rhoees point of view, the days of lumbering defenders are mostly gone, certainly at Championship level, defensive recovery time improved and space in the box reduced. This is probably why he struggles, the last time he got into double figures was 2015/16 since then he's only scored 28 goals.  Looks to me like an old fashioned footballer, playing modern day football and games usually pass him by. 

Edited by striker
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, striker said:

That's a big problem, football is increasingly becoming more athletic and the speed of the game has increased. Those without pace struggle and tend to stand out in a bad way. 

From Rhoees point of view, the days of lumbering defenders are mostly gone, certainly at Championship level, defensive recovery time improved and space in the box reduced. This is probably why he struggles, the last time he got into double figures was 2015/16 since then he's only scored 28 goals.  Looks to me like an old fashioned footballer, playing modern day football and games usually pass him by. 

Yep, with the way the game is played these days teams find it hard to compete with a pure poacher who offers nowt else, more true the higher up the pyramid you go.

It means overall you're going to create less chances and give up possession to the other team more often as you have one less player able to contribute in general attacking moves and with retaining the ball in the final 3rd.

36 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

You watch the 4-4 match.  In the last minute he's running past our whole defence.

Yeah I watched the highlights of that game on YouTube recently 

The last goal where he burns past Reda and tucks it past Bywater was a goal he’s looked incapable of since he’s been here, which is strange as he was only 27 when he signed and hasn’t had any nasty injuries to contend with, so he should still be in his prime 

Who knows what’s gone on, maybe we’ll never know, but it’s a real shame 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, A12owl said:

He isn't and never has been a one man goal machine who creates his own goals. He needs someone to feed the ball where he gets on the end of it. I would guess that most of his goals have come from crosses rather than through balls. 

He needs wingers and someone he can attack knockdowns from. He ain't quick but he's intelligent and brave. 

I'll say it again, play to his strengths with the right support and he will score. 

I hope. 

People keep saying that, but that Blackburn side he got a hat full for was hardly a top side at the time 

2 hours ago, fingyfop said:

Yep, with the way the game is played these days teams find it hard to compete with a pure poacher who offers nowt else, more true the higher up the pyramid you go.

It means overall you're going to create less chances and give up possession to the other team more often as you have one less player able to contribute in general attacking moves and with retaining the ball in the final 3rd.

Billy the Blunt isn't blessed with scorching pace or height and does ok.