Luongo backing Rhodes

3 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Billy the Blunt isn't blessed with scorching pace or height and does ok.

It doesn't have to be pace and height, but he's reinvented himself under Wilder to get much more involved in general play, compared to his earlier days

1 hour ago, Django said:

Yeah I watched the highlights of that game on YouTube recently 

The last goal where he burns past Reda and tucks it past Bywater was a goal he’s looked incapable of since he’s been here, which is strange as he was only 27 when he signed and hasn’t had any nasty injuries to contend with, so he should still be in his prime 

Who knows what’s gone on, maybe we’ll never know, but it’s a real shame 

I remember there was the rumours and hearsay when he went on loan to Norwich about bullying and mental health issues, makes you wonder? 

Though fingers crossed the refreshed sqaud and new strikers coach maybe able to turn around what has to be in my time our worst signing as far as impact value payed and contribution. 

• Like 1

I think Rhodes being the only striker on teh books might be great for him. He might actually get a run of games, which is what any striker needs to get in the groove and start scoring regularly.

Last season he wasnt used from the start in a league game until december!

His 2nd start he scored the hattrick.
He only got 2 more starts before Monk dumped him back on the bench.
That was his longest run in the side. 4 starts. Hardly enough to get going.

And it was his longest run of starts he's had for us since January 2018!

If he gets 10-15 starts at the start of this season then who knows, he might finallyt hit that groove and we'll get the player we want him to be.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

It doesn't have to be pace and height, but he's reinvented himself under Wilder to get much more involved in general play, compared to his earlier days

Wasn't that dismissed recently in regards to pace? He just looks slow 

I was one of the fans jumping up & down in ecstasy when we signed him & I still hope and pray he can find something on a regular basis what he did at Forest.

I just wish he would pull his top out of his shorts.

It makes him look like a sixties throwback. 

I reckon if he pulled the shirt out, it would make him lose the nice guy image, make him nastier & put a yard of pace on him.

I reckon he needs to get down with that Fizz fella. Get a bit nasty, mix with a few dodgy fuc*ers, have a pop with a few hoes, have an AK 47 tattooed on his leg. You know the sort of thing.

Totally change his good boy image. No more thumbs up. No more nice letters to young kid's in hospital. 

Turn into a right nasty bast**rd, kick owt that moves on the pitch.

Or maybe leave it to Messre Beattie to sort him. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I remember there was the rumours and hearsay when he went on loan to Norwich about bullying and mental health issues, makes you wonder? 

Though fingers crossed the refreshed sqaud and new strikers coach maybe able to turn around what has to be in my time our worst signing as far as impact value payed and contribution. 

Yeah I heard the same. Sounds like we had some absolute ar$eholes in the squad back then 

49 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I think Rhodes being the only striker on teh books might be great for him. He might actually get a run of games, which is what any striker needs to get in the groove and start scoring regularly.

If he gets 10-15 starts at the start of this season then who knows, he might finallyt hit that groove and we'll get the player we want him to be.

Couldn’t agree more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fingyfop said:

Thats more of reflection of wilder. How many other players have somehow turned good under his management?

59 minutes ago, cookeh said:

This is the problem with JR. His past scoring records has set a bar for him where anything other than consistently banging goals in means he's not playing well. He scored that terrific hat trick against forest and then although not scoring started to get a really good thing going with Fletcher. But then gets dumped when Fletch got injured 

• Like 2

in all seriousness Rhodes is a box player.   He needs to play no wider than the 18 yrd area and not much deeper than that.   The problem we have we cant or haven't been able to afford that luxury.   He is an instinctive forward not a thinker.   Give him

enough supply in the box and he will get 15 a season.  he iusnt going to outrun a defence but he will get on the end of stuff given that role.

5 minutes ago, poite said:

This is the problem with JR. His past scoring records has set a bar for him where anything other than consistently banging goals in means he's not playing well. He scored that terrific hat trick against forest and then although not scoring started to get a really good thing going with Fletcher. But then gets dumped when Fletch got injured 

Sadly Fletcher got the trots after the Forest game. 

I agree the partnership between Fletcher and Rhodes was brilliant. We scored bags of goals (18 in 612 minutes) with those two scoring almost all of them.

Crying shame we won’t see more of it. Hopefully Rhodes will click in partnership with whoever we bring in. It would make such a difference to our fortunes this difficult season. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Don't think he can handle pressure, stands out a mile, his confidence is shot.

Now he is the only striker it is likely to make matters worse...

Wish him well though hope he can overcome..all it takes is a bit of a run and a bit of good luck.

Doubtful, but who knows...

Could easily work the other way. If he knows he’s secure in the No 1 striker spot he might lose that anvil off his shoulders.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Sadly Fletcher got the trots after the Forest game. 

I agree the partnership between Fletcher and Rhodes was brilliant. We scored bags of goals (18 in 612 minutes) with those two scoring almost all of them.

Crying shame we won’t see more of it. Hopefully Rhodes will click in partnership with whoever we bring in. It would make such a difference to our fortunes this difficult season. 

£8M and £30K+ a week for a striker who has only looked capable when paired alongside one specific other player, not good enough I'm afraid and not sure there are any signs that will change anytime soon. 

Guest Theboylangers

I keep hoping he will get back to some sort of form but it never seems to happen.

Feels a bit like when we were all waiting for Forestieri to be the player he was in his first season but was never as good after that. 

Maybe Rhodes peaked early in his career as some players do.