Soccer Saturday - LeTissier, Thompson, and Nicholas sacked by SKY

ANDY

I have a lot of opinions on this so be patient with me:

For a start, Sky Sports have said that this is due to a restructuring because of Covid and possibly wanting to broadcast football and soccer Saturday in a different way. 

Secondly. I’m a massive fan of soccer Saturday and the dynamic that the boys had built and I am disappointed it won’t be continued.

What I am upset about though is that by getting rid of the majority of them all at once, anyone coming in who is black or female is swimming even further against the tide Cos, like parts of this thread shows, people see it as a tick box exercise. I hate that black or females getting jobs on tv in football is seen as a tick box exercise but I can understand why.

What sky’s problem is is that they DO sometimes just chuck people on who clearly aren’t good pundits. And if they’re female or black then that’s jumped on even more and it makes it harder for the good black/female pundits to actually show their genuine worth. Sue Smith is one who I find to be grating and not knowledgeable or charismatic enough. Eni Aluko is another. I’m not overly keen on Matt Murray. I switch off anytime Sol Campbell comes on screen. But this is me judging them purely on how I find them as a pundit which should only be judged on two factors and that’s knowledge and charisma. Whether you like a pundit or not, that’s fine. But you cannot judge them based on their gender or ethnicity.

We do though still live in a world where the old school pundits, Graeme Souness etc, sometimes are stealing a wage in not doing their research. I would much rather spend my afternoon watching Alex Scott, Clinton Morrison, Micah Richards, Laura Woods or Kelly Cates over Souness and some other old boys any day. 

But they all face an even bigger up hill battle now because sky sports failing to incorporate them without making it seem like a tick box exercise with some of their other choices and getting rid of all the favourites at once.

I will go back to the beginning though where I said that we might not even get ‘replacements’. But anyone of a miniority who’s seen on soccer Saturday now is gonna get unfair criticism.

Alex Scott is a pundit who has everything a pundit needs and SHOULD go right to the very top and have a long career doing what she’s doing. I would hate for her gender AND ethnicity to hold her back.

Edited by FlyingOwl
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

Souness is someone who should definitely have been given the boot a long long time ago. Seems to be on every Sunday? Does my head in

They love the likes of Keane and Souness for their old school meltdowns. It’s good for the social media likes. 

Just now, Django said:

It’s weird how Clinton Morrison has carved himself a career as a pundit as he struggles to put a full sentence together that makes sense 

Pure charisma and charm and personality. It’s half the battle.

It’s how Paul Merson has managed all this time. Loveable. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

For a start, Sky Sports have said that this is due to a restructuring because of Covid and possibly wanting to broadcast football and soccer Saturday in a different way. 

Secondly. I’m a massive fan of soccer Saturday and the dynamic that the boys had built and I am disappointed it won’t be continued.

What I am upset about though is that by getting rid of the majority of them all at once, anyone coming in who is black or female is swimming even further against the tide Cos, like parts of this thread shows, people see it as a tick box exercise. I hate that black or females getting jobs on tv in football is seen as a tick box exercise but I can understand why.

What sky’s problem is is that they DO sometimes just chuck people on who clearly aren’t good pundits. And if they’re female or black then that’s jumped on even more and it makes it harder for the good black/female pundits to actually show their genuine worth. Sue Smith is one who I find to be grating and not knowledgeable or charismatic enough. Eni Aluko is another. I’m not overly keen on Matt Murray. I switch off anytime Sol Campbell comes on screen. But this is me judging them purely on how I find them as a pundit which should only be judged on two factors and that’s knowledge and charisma. Whether you like a pundit or not, that’s fine. But you cannot judge them based on their gender or ethnicity.

We do though still live in a world where the old school pundits, Graeme Souness etc, sometimes are stealing a wage in not doing their research. I would much rather spend my afternoon watching Alex Scott, Clinton Morrison, Micah Richards, Laura Woods or Kelly Cates over Souness and some other old boys any day. 

But they all face an even bigger up hill battle now because sky sports failing to incorporate them without making it seem like a tick box exercise with some of their other choices and getting rid of all the favourites at once.

I will go back to the beginning though where I said that we might not even get ‘replacements’. But anyone of a miniority who’s seen on soccer Saturday now is gonna get unfair criticism.

Alex Scott is a pundit who has everything a pundit needs and SHOULD go right to the very top and have a long career doing what she’s doing. I would hate for her gender AND ethnicity to hold her back.

Think you are right now, who ever takes over who is BAME or female it will be seen as a box ticking exercise.

I have never really understood why Soccer Saturday is so popular, I find them just playing up to the camera a lot of the time.

Too brash for my tastes and I very rarely watch it.

24 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Great post 

I think it should be stressed though anyone kicking off about the BAME aspect should be simply ignored 

Owlstalk Shop

I like it when they have people in the game still, but aren't working that weekend join (Jose for example). Give ore insight into what is actually going on, not just views of ex professionals who by now haven't been in the game for over a decade, such as Tiss etc.

Bring in Eddie Howe, for a couple of weeks for example

Surprised at the Scott Minto one.

A very good presenter.

At least with the other three, you could make a case for them having been past their best.

Wonder if Prutton takes over that role fulltime?

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

A very good presenter.

At least with the other three, you could make a case for them having been past their best.

That's what I was thinking.  They're likely looking at the need for presenters too due to COVID.  If you can just sit a presenter and a couple of pundits in a studio why do you need to send them to the ground?  Same guys can do multiple games from one place.  Cost saving all round at a time when they must be bleeding cash!

Just not bothered...

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

A very good presenter.

agree I don’t mind Scott Minto I’d say he is a better presenter than Prutton tbh. 

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

27 minutes ago, SiJ said:

A very good presenter.

With Scott Minto I definitely think it highlights how all these personnel cuts are more budgetary than anything else.

But people will draw up their own conclusions. Those conclusions show their hidden agendas.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dont buy for one minute that they're booting Scott Minto to fulfill some made up BAME quota.

That'll be a case of them having to cutback due to budget issues. Minto has been there for 15 odd years so will be on a tidy sum compared to the likes of Prutton.

Do you really need two, three presenters just for the EFL? Sky will probably say not.

In saying that, I cant see Dave Jones or Kelly Cates (presenters of the PL) getting the boot, but then the PL coverage is far more lavish and lucrative.

Let's be fair, if Sky could get away with having their EFL, SPL coverage taking place from a garden shed, then they probably would.

1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

Why do you like Alex Scott, she never ever criticises poor performances, gets on my nerves.

• Like 1

Think Jamie Redknapp is another they should give the elbow to.

Always a big expert on the big Sunday game but never managed a club or even a Sunday League side to my knowledge.

Prefer listening to people who have been managers like Souness, Keane or even Neil Warnock.

Most of the others come across as taking the easy option of being a pundit.

Dont get me started on Gary Lineker or Alan Shearer, mind boggles how much licence fee money they get.
Surely most over paid people in the country.

• Like 2