Soccer Saturday - LeTissier, Thompson, and Nicholas sacked by SKY

ANDY

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Nope you’re wrong

Watch him closely 

He’s insanely good

A goal goes in and he instantly reels off stats, facts, figures and info that is NOT being fed to him or written down for him 

Hes incredibly knowledgeable, fast, accurate, funny and exciting 

Tell me a single other person who can do what he does - you just can’t 

I’m not knocking Jeff he’s very good but how do you know the facts are not been fed to him?  They all have ear pieces in. 

Nope you’re wrong

Watch him closely 

He’s insanely good

A goal goes in and he instantly reels off stats, facts, figures and info that is NOT being fed to him or written down for him 

Spot on. He doesn’t just read out the scores, his whole delivery and style creates a sense of theatre. No one would be able to replace Jeff and have the same impact. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

So why didn't anyone do it before.

He's had the job since it started? Nobody else has had much chance

Nope you’re wrong

Watch him closely 

He’s insanely good

I don't know I am not interviewing for a new presenter on soccer Saturday but I don't think he does instantly know facts and figures, I thought the good part of his performance was the charisma he brings but if he went people would soon get used to a new person

17 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't know I am not interviewing for a new presenter on soccer Saturday but I don't think he does instantly know facts and figures

WTF

So... you believe that he gets an instant report of a goal going in for Bury against Chester and doesn't know facts and figures?

But he instantly tells you about the goal, then says 'that's the first goal in 14 games for John Green, and that takes Bury up three places to take them above Colchester'

Are you suggesting that someone's feeding him that information through his earpiece or on a text update?

Owlstalk Shop

I think a minimum qualification to be a soccer pundit on soccer saturday is to have played in the premiership for one of the top clubs or if there older the previous first division.

I have no problem with female commentators or perhaps Alex Scott or another female taking over from Jeff Stelling.

But imo  a fundamental of being a panel expert is having done the job at the level you are eing paid to analyse 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

So... you believe that he gets an instant report of a goal going in for Bury against Chester and doesn't know facts and figures?

But he instantly tells you about the goal, then says 'that's the first goal in 14 games for John Green, and that takes Bury up three places to take them above Colchester'

Are you suggesting that someone's feeding him that information through his earpiece or on a text update?

That is not what makes him great though is it. Most people could learn in time to real off stats like that, Martin Tyler does it all the time.

• Haha 1

WTF

I find the angle you're arguing why he is so good quite unusual, I thought he's popular because he is charismatic rather than the statto you believe him to be brilliant for. 

He was crap on Countdown btw. Couldn't fill Whitley's boots

25 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I find the angle you're arguing why he is so good quite unusual, I thought he's popular because he is charismatic rather than the statto you believe him to be brilliant for. 

He was crap on Countdown btw. Couldn't fill Whitley's boots

Again I disgree

Seems like it's just your own personal opinion of him rather than the majority view

Sorry but you were totally wrong about how good he is, his knowledge and yes he's charismatic and funny too

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

That is not what makes him great though is it. Most people could learn in time to real off stats like that, Martin Tyler does it all the time.

Not at that speed, consistently and no - most people could NOT 'learn' it.

It's knowledge - real genuine knowledge 

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Geedee said:

I think a minimum qualification to be a soccer pundit on soccer saturday is to have played in the premiership for one of the top clubs or if there older the previous first division.

I have no problem with female commentators or perhaps Alex Scott or another female taking over from Jeff Stelling.

But imo  a fundamental of being a panel expert is having done the job at the level you are eing paid to analyse 

Sounds like excuses to keep it as an all boys club to me.

Brendan Rodgers never played at that level. I'd happily call him an expert. Would you call Mourinho an expert after a non-career in Portugal?

The idea that you can't analyse football without having played in the Prem is silly.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Sounds like excuses to keep it as an all boys club to me.

Brendan Rodgers never played at that level. I'd happily call him an expert. Would you call Mourinho an expert after a non-career in Portugal?

The idea that you can't analyse football without having played in the Prem is silly.

This this this this this.

Amount of times I’ve seen Paul Ince, Graeme Souness, tonnes of other PL legends get basic information wrong on a player or a teams form or say something that means they absolutely haven’t put the work in to do their research prior to game analysis.

To be a good pundit you need to be knowledgeable, committed to your research and charismatic.

Whether that makes you male, female, white, BAME, whatever. The job shouldn’t be exclusive to any group of people. 

You’ll of course get pundits who you can’t stand on a personal level. Ie: sol Campbell makes me cringe, Graeme Souness comes across as really bitter to me, sue smith just irritates me and I’m still not sure why 😂 - and that’s all okay. That’s opinions.

you can’t say that you don’t want someone on a panel because of their gender or race - and especially if you’re gonna cowardly cover up that opinion by saying ‘they’ve not played in the PL’  when quite clearly the likes of Klopp, Pep, Diego Simeone etc etc are clearly knowledgeable enough to talk about the game without having played in the PL.  

Not at that speed, consistently and no - most people could NOT 'learn' it.

It's knowledge - real genuine knowledge 

Which he has learnt and perfected over time.  He wouldn't have been as good as he is now in the early days.

My point is I dont think this is the reason he is so good as another could learn all the same materials and have the same knowledge as him as most commentators do.

It's the way he delivers it all and the comedy he puts in with it. It's also why I think merson has stayed. Look at all the soccer Saturday bests bits. It's all Jeff, merse or cammy.

6 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Martin Tyler is prepared with a poo load of stats for that one game. He knows in advance pretty much what the teams will be. 

Jeff has to comment on the scores of about 40 matches each Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, owls maniac said:

Martin Tyler is prepared with a poo load of stats for that one game. He knows in advance pretty much what the teams will be. 

Jeff has to comment on the scores of about 40 matches each Saturday. 

He will still retain that knowledge though just like Jeff does.