Soccer Saturday - LeTissier, Thompson, and Nicholas sacked by SKY

ANDY

26 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why do you like Alex Scott, she never ever criticises poor performances, gets on my nerves.

That’s something I’ve not noticed but might be something she’ll look to develop. Or it might not be. She’s got her own style.

But I like the contrast of positivity amongst a lot of negativity in the sport - I think she works hard on doing her research, I think she speaks clearly and knows her stuff. I like that she doesn’t fit a stereotype of a female football fan which can be very ‘one of the lads’. She keeps her femininity, is true to her roots and keeps her own style of punditry not to be influenced by others.  

As a female supporter myself who knows full well I can be feminine and still hold my own in any chat about football, I do look to people like her as quite an inspirational figure. Kelly Cates being another one as well as Laura Woods.

And I’m not someone who will automatically like any female pundit cos they’re female. I do think there’s a lack of representation but that doesn’t mean we should throw anyone in. Sue Smith is one who I think is out of her depth and I don’t enjoy as a pundit on SSN. Eni Aluko does go about with a chip on her shoulder in the same sort of vain that Sol Campbell does. I judge each pundit on their own merit based on knowledge, research and and on screen charisma/charm.

Completely respect people not liking her for a legit reason. As you’ve said you don’t like that she doesn’t criticise enough. And that’s absolutely fair. But you’ve got a strong boatload of people who just don’t like her because they feel she’s got the role because she’s BAME and female and is a two in one tick box. I whole heartedly disagree.

Edited by FlyingOwl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

That’s something I’ve not noticed but might be something she’ll look to develop. Or it might not be. She’s got her own style.

But I like the contrast of positivity amongst a lot of negativity in the sport - I think she works hard on doing her research, I think she speaks clearly and knows her stuff. I like that she doesn’t fit a stereotype of a female football fan which can be very ‘one of the lads’. She keeps her femininity, is true to her roots and keeps her own style of punditry not to be influenced by others.  

As a female supporter myself who knows full well I can be feminine and still hold my own in any chat about football, I do look to people like her as quite an inspirational figure. Kelly Cates being another one as well as Laura Woods.

And I’m not someone who will automatically like any female pundit cos they’re female. I do think there’s a lack of representation but that doesn’t mean we should throw anyone in. Sue Smith is one who I think is out of her depth and I don’t enjoy as a pundit on SSN. Eni Aluko does go about with a chip on her shoulder in the same sort of vain that Sol Campbell does. I judge each pundit on their own merit based on knowledge, research and and on screen charisma/charm.

Completely respect people not liking her for a legit reason. As you’ve said you don’t like that she doesn’t criticise enough. And that’s absolutely fair. But you’ve got a strong boatload of people who just don’t like her because they feel she’s got the role because she’s BAME and female and is a two in one tick box. I whole heartedly disagree.

I think one of the reasons Alex Scott is on as a pundit is that she is easy on the eye.
Being knowledgeable and being able to articulate  is of course also important but being attractive obviously helps.
Same with a lot of females of Sky Sports. Not saying they only get on TV because they are a pretty face but it is certainly an advantage.

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think one of the reasons Alex Scott is on as a pundit is that she is easy on the eye.
Being knowledgeable and being able to articulate  is of course also important but being attractive obviously helps.
Same with a lot of females of Sky Sports. Not saying they only get on TV because they are a pretty face but it is certainly an advantage.

Think that’s a fair comment. I guess attraction is subjective - but there have been some less than attractive female pundits on football on 5/quest whatever you wanna call it. I wouldn’t say Sue Smith on SSN is particularly attractive either. 

But then I see it from the perspective of a female football supporter who’s constantly been looked at differently Cos I’m not automatically seen as ‘one of the lads’ sinking pints etc which used to be the stereotypical female football fan.  Because I do my hair, my make up...it’s automatically assumed that I don’t know my stuff as well or I can’t be just as passionate. So its nice for them to be given a level of respect. That said, I also don’t just want them being seen as eye candy either Cos that defeats the purpose 😂😂😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Plus she stood up to Danny Murphy and Rudd in the Steve Bruce saga so to some on here she can’t do any wrong. 

• Like 1

Looking at Soccer Saturday as a show the star is Jeff Stelling arguably followed by Chris Kamara.

Would it be not better to ditch the studio pundits bar Stelling and then have everybody else as a roaving reporter?

They basically do the same thing as studio pundits.

14 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

If you think I was poking fun at disabled people, you couldn’t be more wrong - you’ve obviously missed the whole point of my comment 

Enlighten me then if I’ve missed your point.

Cos from my end it seems like you’re saying that anyone with a disability/special needs who works in the media only gets the job to meet a quota.

5 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Have to laugh at people getting all uppity about this.  It's literally a bunch of blokes sat describing what just happened on their tele.  It doesn't matter if it's Maradona or Madonna doing it.  

Oh right.

Glad you've popped along to tell people what they should like or not like. I think Soccer Saturday isone of the best shows Sky does, so much drama some weeks up and down the leagues where non-league sits next to PL.

Have a good laugh though because you're too good for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Oh right.

Glad you've popped along to tell people what they should like or not like. I think Soccer Saturday isone of the best shows Sky does, so much drama some weeks up and down the leagues where non-league sits next to PL.

Have a good laugh though because you're too good for it.

And to be clear, the race of the presenters affects this how?  

Just not bothered...

4 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Why does it matter to you? You'll be watching a documentary on Chekov with subtitles.

Post not poster sir.

To be absolutely clear, the race of the presenters of Soccer Saturday has what to do with the quality of the show?

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

Nothing wrong with a freshen up , and we all know the diversity quota will come into it , again nothing wrong with that as long as they pick the right people with the right blend...............ie not Clinton Morrison who is an awful pundit IMHO.

I have a feeling it will be around a dozen different pundits on a rotational basis which will be sad as the show will definitely lose something.