George Hirst in Leicester squad tonight

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Fully aware. But their gamble paid off. Plus their owners built on promotion, made some incredibly shrewd signings for very little money and went on to win the Premier League. 

If they failed to go up they had potential money from Mahrez and Vardy to fall back on. Which would have probably fetched them £50m.

It's not just about the money it is the way the money was moved around - something you have been critical of us for. Read the article I linked in the previous post, it even involves companies linked to the family of the Chairman of the Premier League, very close to home.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Fully aware. But their gamble paid off. Plus their owners built on promotion, made some incredibly shrewd signings for very little money and went on to win the Premier League. 

If they failed to go up they had potential money from Mahrez and Vardy to fall back on. Which would have probably fetched them £50m.

If they'd failed to go up Vardy wouldn't have been worth much more than the £1m they bought him for, same with Mahrez who cost less than that,  both players value only shot up after they had great seasons the year they won the title. They'd been nothing special until then in either the Championship or that first PL season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, alanharper said:

If they'd failed to go up Vardy wouldn't have been worth much more than the £1m they bought him for, same with Mahrez who cost less than that,  both players value only shot up after they had great seasons the year they won the title. They'd been nothing special until then in either the Championship or that first PL season.

But the potential was clearly there? 

11 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But the potential was clearly there? 

You said £50m if they hadnt gone up though,  for a couple of Championship players. They'd have probably gone for a couple of million at most at that stage, in fact a year later there were rumours linking Vardy with us for £5m - and almost everybody agreed that was far too much for a striker who'd just scored 5 goals in his only PL season and 20 goals in 2 seasons in the Championship. Look what happened to him the next season though! And nobody even noticed Mahrez until that season. 

• Like 1

George Hirst did not warrant or deserve what his representatives were requesting.

We were right to decline it.

He wanted to go elsewhere to earn some cash, fair play, why not? 

The main disappointment is the time he spent 'gaming the market' by being paid to take selfies in a Belgian lift. 

I hope it does not hold him back. 

I do think it's odd how he hasn't gone out on loan though. The 'U23 culture' seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, well above board what Leicester have done.

As you have been critical of the way Chansiri has run the club, rightly so in some respects, I'd be interested to know what you think of this in terms of how a club operates:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation

The way they signed Hirst was a bit off as well don't you think?

We have the same FFP Compliance Consultant as introduced to DC by MM.

:duntmatter:

39 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

We have the same FFP Compliance Consultant as introduced to DC by MM.

:duntmatter:

We shouldn't have anything to worry about then, nothing to see here! :ph34r:

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

George Hirst did not warrant or deserve what his representatives were requesting.

We were right to decline it.

He wanted to go elsewhere to earn some cash, fair play, why not? 

The main disappointment is the time he spent 'gaming the market' by being paid to take selfies in a Belgian lift. 

I hope it does not hold him back. 

I do think it's odd how he hasn't gone out on loan though. The 'U23 culture' seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

I can see the merit in not going out on loan. If he stays there he gets to train everyday with Vardy, Ianacheo and co and be trained by Rogers who's one of the best in the league. If he goes out on loan he would need game time otherwise he's better off staying put.

Can't see much point in a League 1/2 loan for PL players because the style is so different, its just hoof ball in comparison and almost a different game. They also get to experience that in the JPT trophy or whatever its called now with the u23s. So for a loan to be useful you're looking at first team championship like Rhian Brewster at Swansea. Can't imagine many Championship teams wanting him in their first XI, most of us wouldn't be happy with it and not just for non-football reasons.

Personally I think he's probably too old to breakthrough already, serves him right for wasting 2 critical years of his career messing us about. I know he's in and around their bench now but thats not unusual at the time of the season. Let's see how regular it is next season.

Guest The Claw
12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Remind us again...

Which thread are you in??

lol

Sun glasses and a walking stick , get away wi thi

6 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I can see the merit in not going out on loan. If he stays there he gets to train everyday with Vardy, Ianacheo and co and be trained by Rogers who's one of the best in the league. If he goes out on loan he would need game time otherwise he's better off staying put.

Can't see much point in a League 1/2 loan for PL players because the style is so different, its just hoof ball in comparison and almost a different game. They also get to experience that in the JPT trophy or whatever its called now with the u23s. So for a loan to be useful you're looking at first team championship like Rhian Brewster at Swansea. Can't imagine many Championship teams wanting him in their first XI, most of us wouldn't be happy with it and not just for non-football reasons.

Personally I think he's probably too old to breakthrough already, serves him right for wasting 2 critical years of his career messing us about. I know he's in and around their bench now but thats not unusual at the time of the season. Let's see how regular it is next season.

Not sure that he is too old to breakthrough. It’s right that he probably wasted a good chunk of his development time, but even to be on the fringes of a top four Premier League squad is some achievement In any such situation, a player of his age would expect the club to have three or four more experienced options ahead of him. You will always get the likes of Greenwood who do actually breakthrough earlier, but I don’t think that Hirst is at that level. Currently Leicester have some good forward options, who are a bit further down the line than Hirst

• Like 1

George Hirst turned 21 in February and has just made his premier league debut, there is no way he is too old to break through at all its only your wonder kids who come through now earlier than 22/23 even 24. 

Shoulda Woulda Coulda with Hirst but we’ll see if it was the right call or mistake by us letting him go.

Might he available on a season long loan next year, would you take him ?? I would 

16 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

George Hirst turned 21 in February and has just made his premier league debut, there is no way he is too old to break through at all its only your wonder kids who come through now earlier than 22/23 even 24. 

Shoulda Woulda Coulda with Hirst but we’ll see if it was the right call or mistake by us letting him go.

Might he available on a season long loan next year, would you take him ?? I would 

I’d definitely take him. Better still, if Leicester make the Champions League, I’m sure they’ll be looking to add a top striker to the group, in which case I’d like to see us try and buy Hirst back. He’s nowhere near the finished article yet, so wouldn’t necessarily be a regular starter here, but he’d be further up the pecking order We have very few strikers coming through our development squads, certainly none that can challenge in the immediate future. As well as a bit of experience, we will need to recruit a few in their early 20s so we have a succession plan, and George definitely fits the bill. Would DC find it too galling to now have to pay a fee for George Hirst? Probably, but if it is for the good of the club, sometimes you have to swallow your pride

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’d definitely take him. Better still, if Leicester make the Champions League, I’m sure they’ll be looking to add a top striker to the group, in which case I’d like to see us try and buy Hirst back. He’s nowhere near the finished article yet, so wouldn’t necessarily be a regular starter here, but he’d be further up the pecking order We have very few strikers coming through our development squads, certainly none that can challenge in the immediate future. As well as a bit of experience, we will need to recruit a few in their early 20s so we have a succession plan, and George definitely fits the bill. Would DC find it too galling to now have to pay a fee for George Hirst? Probably, but if it is for the good of the club, sometimes you have to swallow your pride

Has he been scoring for Leicester?  

Can’t see any point in wanting him back at all , it would be a gamble at least .Leicester City football club is run brilliantly, the stadium is first class , a brand new training complex is being built which looks amazing , the football played at the KP is a joy to watch , they are up at the top end of the premiership, jealous me  !! too right . Just can’t see us improving at all in any department just now . 

20 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Can’t see any point in wanting him back at all , it would be a gamble at least .Leicester City football club is run brilliantly, the stadium is first class , a brand new training complex is being built which looks amazing , the football played at the KP is a joy to watch , they are up at the top end of the premiership, jealous me  !! too right . Just can’t see us improving at all in any department just now . 

So a gamble for him? Any young unproven striker would be a gamble for us, as indeed most transfers are We’ve tried it the other way, bringing championship experience, and in most cases it was a disaster 

If we remain in this league, we will need to fashion a group of 4 or 5 strikers, a few of which will fall into the George Hirst category. We’ve done the easy part, culling our experienced misfiring strikers, and we certainly don’t want to be replacing them with more of the same. There’s no signs that we are able to produce our own, so we are going to have to take our chances with some unproven youngsters from elsewhere, alongside maybe a couple of older heads

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

So a gamble for him? Any young unproven striker would be a gamble for us, as indeed most transfers are We’ve tried it the other way, bringing championship experience, and in most cases it was a disaster 

If we remain in this league, we will need to fashion a group of 4 or 5 strikers, a few of which will fall into the George Hirst category. We’ve done the easy part, culling our experienced misfiring strikers, and we certainly don’t want to be replacing them with more of the same. There’s no signs that we are able to produce our own, so we are going to have to take our chances with some unproven youngsters from elsewhere, alongside maybe a couple of older heads

Well yes I agree and I also believe we should loan in a keeper as first choice . It would be a gamble for the club to get George back I meant . Something has to change or we will just continue to tread water but We ought not to be relying on unproven youngsters to fire us to the premier.