Drinks Breaks / Quarters instead of halves

33 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Just leave the game alone, every change they make devalues it a little more. 

VAR what a benefit thats brought to the game.

Var is so the big clubs don't lose money to smaller clubs through decisions . Man u player was more off side yesterday than the dark side of Sheffield player was the other month.  Result dark side no goal , man u goal . If manure were playing the scousers I would put money on it being called as off side as scousers have a bigger voice to complain than Bournemouth . 

• Like 1

Drinks break have come in because of the COVID rules, players have to have their own bottles and so they now can't bring on a bottle or just have a couple knocking about. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Qatar world cup drinks breaks fair enough.

14 degrees on a Tuesday night after 20 mins seems somewhat pointless.

It's not about the temperature, it's that players aren't allowed water whenever they want now. Even if it's 2 degrees, players will be losing litres of fluid per game, they need to take on water and so this was the way they worked it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minton said:

It's not about the temperature, it's that players aren't allowed water whenever they want now. Even if it's 2 degrees, players will be losing litres of fluid per game, they need to take on water and so this was the way they worked it out.

Must have saved hundreds of footballers lives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Must have saved hundreds of footballers lives.

What's your point? Either they have 1 drinks break per half or nothing at all. 

Like the modified "five substitutes" rule, drinks breaks are an admission that the players aren't fully fit.

Despite this, someone has decided that the league shall be finished even if coaches know that the required fitness levels aren't there.

• Like 1

The one thing I don't get is when they have the drinks breaks the ref and the match official don't stop the clocks so every game now runs into the 50th minute in the first half and 97th minute in the second half.

Does the ref and his official not have a watch that you can stop then restart again.

I honestly cannot believe no one has though about it.

Watch the next game on tv and tell me when they have the break if the clock in the top corner stops or keeps going. 

18 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

Genuine question—is there a given reason why referees don't keep more strict control of time in and out of dead ball situations? It seems to me that stopping the clock whenever the ball's out of play is a system with no disadvantages?

Isn't it the fourth official that decides on the extra time?

Just now, Manwë said:

Isn't it the fourth official that decides on the extra time?

That's true, but my point still stands—are there actually any disadvantages (even perceived ones) to stopping the clock whenever the ball is out of play and removing time added on altogether?

2 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

That's true, but my point still stands—are there actually any disadvantages (even perceived ones) to stopping the clock whenever the ball is out of play and removing time added on altogether?

It'd make things simpler and more accountable, though would take away the 90+7mins satisfaction/gloom goal that comes with following football.

We have VAR, we have eagle eye cheery, we have frickin laser beams monitoring the thoughts of the ballboys, but a countdown clock controlled by the fourth official is I'm afraid, too simple and not modern enough for our go-getting game.  That's more for chess.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Manwë said:

we have frickin laser beams monitoring the thoughts of the ballboys

:laugh:

6 minutes ago, Manwë said:

though would take away the 90+7mins satisfaction/gloom goal that comes with following football

I think I could live with that given the relative ratio of gloom to satisfaction in our case :duntmatter:

Edited by dr. benway
  • Haha 1