Drinks Breaks / Quarters instead of halves

On 05/07/2020 at 11:42, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yes I can see breaks being filled with advertising over the PA system. I think the official time keeper is a good idea. Totally transparent and would to a large degree stop players feigning injuries to waste time. Stop start the clock immediately play stops for an injury. Not for the traditionalists but probably where we're going 

Why do we need to go there?  Just making changes for changes sake.  Not one of these so-called great innovations have improved the game or took away controversial decisions.

Premier fans can't celebrate, till someone cues them.

"Yeah, you can all do a spontaneous celebration now."

Couldn't make it up.

I agree on VAR being a negative aspect of the game, but I understand the reason for it.

The game has changed, fans have changed, players have changed.  In 2020, you will find players "looking" for a penalty as a tactic.  In say, 1980, this would be a rare occurrence.  In 2020, if the player looking for a penalty goes down in the box under no real challenge, then you have players and fans screaming at the referee to give the penalty.  Even if it's blinding obvious to everyone in the ground that the said player dived and is a cheat, the referee better give us a penalty or he's a ******** ******** and we're going to give him abuse until after the game ends.  I find it embarrassing when Wednesday fans do this.  

Then we have the Sky effect.  19 different camera angles,  reviews in slo-mo and reverse, with more lines than Nazca digitally printed on the screen, even able to view through players analysing a split-second event that occurred with numerous bodies involved.  After four people have talked about it for 10 minutes in the comfort of the studio, 'the ref has got it wrong'.    What a ******** the ref is etc

VAR is a consequence of the game being more about money, less about sportsmanship.  There can be no mistakes when hundreds of million in sterling is involved.  And that is not just the players, most fans would take promotion or winning a trophy due to a dived-for penalty or dodgy goal too.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Manwë said:

I agree on VAR being a negative aspect of the game, but I understand the reason for it.

The game has changed, fans have changed, players have changed.  In 2020, you will find players "looking" for a penalty as a tactic.  In say, 1980, this would be a rare occurrence.  In 2020, if the player looking for a penalty goes down in the box under no real challenge, then you have players and fans screaming at the referee to give the penalty.  Even if it's blinding obvious to everyone in the ground that the said player dived and is a cheat, the referee better give us a penalty or he's a ******** ******** and we're going to give him abuse until after the game ends.  I find it embarrassing when Wednesday fans do this.  

Then we have the Sky effect.  19 different camera angles,  reviews in slo-mo and reverse, with more lines than Nazca digitally printed on the screen, even able to view through players analysing a split-second event that occurred with numerous bodies involved.  After four people have talked about it for 10 minutes in the comfort of the studio, 'the ref has got it wrong'.    What a ******** the ref is etc

VAR is a consequence of the game being more about money, less about sportsmanship.  There can be no mistakes when hundreds of million in sterling is involved.  And that is not just the players, most fans would take promotion or winning a trophy due to a dived-for penalty or dodgy goal too.   

The premier league called for VAR, they whined and winged when decision didn't go 100% their way.

Now they have it and football in the top flight is basically dead. A player being offside by a toe nail, or a player being fouled but falling on the ball being accused of hand balling it.

Other sports Cricket, Tennis, Rugby all use technology and it enhances the game but unfortunately you see in the Rugby the useless match officials use the video ref for everything, the good one use it with only the very tight decisions.

VAR should be used for goal line technology, it should be used for offside if the player is ahead of the defender with his feet only, it should be used to see if a player has been dived or pushed. 

BUT a decision should be made within 30 seconds not 4 or 5 minutes. Also all football club in the EPL have big screen tv's in the same way as in other sports, the crowd should be able to see the 4th refs though process, if not here what he/she says.

But equally if a player is judged to have conned the referee beyond any doubt they need sending off or putting on report to be judge later and retrospectively banned from games.

If top teams lose their best players for 4 or 5 games a time this would very quickly eradicate cheating in football.

Just now, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Works in other sports. I don't think football has implemented technology as well other sports but that's not to say it can't be. Just a personal opinion.

Whats the point?  The game was doing just fine before they started messing with it.  Not one bit of technology has improved the game, if anything you could make an argument that its lessened it as a spectacle.

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

The game has changed I still hanker for the old days of 3pm Saturday kick offs as the norm, with an orange ball. Match done by 4.40. players not coached in cheating.... diving, wrestling, time wasting etc. Unfortunately that's where we are. Football just hasn't assimilated the technology as well as other sports.

I agree with most of that.

I just don't think football needs to assimilate to the technology, its brought nothing to the game.  

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Ok we'll agree to differ. 

One other thing that I think forced football to implement the technology was the saturation of TV evidence , slow motion, freeze frame, different angles, repeats etc. Referees were being pilloried on the back of it without having access themselves to the technology to make correct nor the right to put their case, post match.

Good point, I try even through gritted teeth at times, that the refs are honest, any mistakes are genuine ones and it's not the ref fault why a team lost, more to do with the other team been better on the day.  

On 06/07/2020 at 09:16, Dutch McLovin said:

scrap drinks breaks

scrap VAR

scrap behind closed doors.

Just get proper football back

You can't go speaking sense like that on here mate. Could not agree more with you. Post of the day/week/month/year.

• Like 1

The goal decision system has so far been 100% perfect and with almost no delay to the game. That should make everyone happy as the right decision is reached but without confusion and standing around waiting.

* My figure of 100% perfect DOES take into account Dem Blades wrongly disallowed goal recently against Villa.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Guest The Horse
16 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

The goal decision system has so far been 100% perfect and with almost no delay to the game. That should make everyone happy as the right decision is reached but without confusion and standing around waiting.

* My figure of 100% perfect DOES take into account Dem Blades wrongly disallowed goal recently against Villa.  :biggrin:

They're gonna miss out on a Euro place by two points aren't they? 😂😂