Garry Monk says 3-5-2 is the way forward but needs patience

Change of tactics was a good choice at this point, particularly as it's been clear that our midfield gets overrun easily. The squad already got thin and now he has enough competitive matches to determine which areas need strenghtening. Provided that we can actually sign new players though.

Perhaps he decided to implement it when he got to know the players strengths and weaknesses better.

I am also pretty certain the likelihood of losing Fox , our only left back, and Fletcher our best lone striker played a part.

But ,because we will use anything to get at the manager , instead of praising him for having the initiative to try it we decide to slag him off.

Edited by oldishowl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

We have tried it before this season and it was a disaster, FF at wing back

Maybe it has taken a significant amount of time to get the players to fully understand what is required, the break has given him this time

FF as wing back, i wonder why that didn't work😀. That's why you'll forgive me if im not yet convinced of Monk's epiphany of the way to go. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

We have tried it before this season and it was a disaster, FF at wing back

Maybe it has taken a significant amount of time to get the players to fully understand what is required, the break has given him this time

Spot on it was terrible v Luton but he’s tried to implement a 352/532 a couple of times. Second half against Derby at 3-0 down he tired a 352 and he also played a 532 against Man City.

So it’s clearly something he’s seen in the long run but maybe at the time he found we didn’t have the players to currently play the system. But with our form being as poor as it was he’s probably thought what on earth have I got to lose trying it now. So far so good. 

It will be interesting to see if he means way forward for next season as well.

We need such a overhaul that he could basically recruit enough players to play whatever system he wants next season but if he decides 3 at the back and specifically recruits players he thinks suits it then fine.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

I'm pleased he's finally chosen a system. That was my criticism of Monk; there was no sign of him implementing any philosophy or way of playing. The regret is it's taken him 9 months to start working on it.

I do agree with his choice. We need 3 in the middle with our options. We tried 4-3-3 which ends up more 4-5-1 with our wide options, leaving the striker isolated. Providing we don't get ripped to shreds defensively, 3-5-2 gets my approval. 

8 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

If it is the way forward why not?

Also wasn't it the general consensus on here and in the stands of "how the hell are we up there playing like we are"

Don’t confuse the “general consensus” for your own dislike of Monk. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Give over and get behind him

Every single thing he’s said today is sensible, intelligent and positive 

Try being the same

The problem is there is fans who didn't want him from start, which is fine because people have different opinions on who is right for us and who isn't. (I was kinda in middle) but once he's manger we should get behind him!  The guy is working with a stale aging squad who other than this seasons loans he didn't bring in.  U till he gets his own squad of players  he deserves a bit of  patience. Get the sence sometimes fans would rather see us lose so they can say I told you so! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

The problem is there is fans who didn't want him from start, which is fine because people have different opinions on who is right for us and who isn't. (I was kinda in middle) but once he's manger we should get behind him!  The guy is working with a stale aging squad who other than this seasons loans he didn't bring in.  U till he gets his own squad of players  he deserves a bit of  patience. Get the sence sometimes fans would rather see us lose so they can say I told you so! 

Totally agreed mate

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Ash77 said:

Exactly, plus when we had hutch we had the players to do it, but now when we only have 1 or 2 cb's capable of it and 2 fb's playing cb resulting in conceeding goals from aerial crosses, he thinks it's the best time! 

Added to that reach could be the ideal player for it on the left but instead he either sits on bench or gets played out of position on right or centrally, clueless!

Players get bought on ability and picked on application. Talent only gets you so far as we have seen!

Need the right players for the system A  big un and a little un up front ,Rhodes and  Conner up front not the answer ,Center backs when fit Borner in middle big Dom and perhaps another signing other side ,Ball winner in midfield central ,Signings for next season Center half ,Ball winner midfield and goal scorer up front ,Wickham signed on loan for season ,Off load Rhodes if possible .

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

I'd suggest we've had less time on the training ground because of lockdown. It doesn't add up to suddenly realise this is the way forward with less personnel here who would have been suited to such a system even before the fallout.

I think when they returned to full training after lockdown they had a clear 2 weeks to work on this shape. Obviously Monk didn't get a pre season and as has already been said we were still in a healthy league position  and picking up results at the time of the two international breaks. 

I'm sure he would have been slated had he decided to implement a formation change at either of those points.

I think given the fact that we continued picking up results up to Christmas would have postponed any plans he may have had to change the system.  Then when things did slide he tried to make changes 'in flight' without the required time in the training ground which is never easy, particularly when you have players not fully buying into the changes (allegedly).

Essentially the lockdown break has given him breathing space to settle on a plan, remove those players not buying in and have mini pre season to try to lock in the basics of the new formation. For me, based on the 3 games so far, we look much better for that.

So how about giving him a chance to build something?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Because he's had time to take stock and reflect over the enforced break, perhaps?

Don't forget, Monk was parachuted in with the season already underway and had less than 5 days on average between each game up until the lockdown started.

Things were going well up to the halfway point, at which point the games started coming even more thick and fast, leaving very little time for sweeping changes to try to arrest our slide.

If he's used the down time to take stock and reflect on how to do things better going forward, surely that's a good thing?

Monk came into the club on the back of Bruce making changes and getting a bit of positively towards the club. Once Monk implemented his style and ways things swiftly went down hill.

Sorry to say Monk is out of his depth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

I think when they returned to full training after lockdown they had a clear 2 weeks to work on this shape. Obviously Monk didn't get a pre season and as has already been said we were still in a healthy league position  and picking up results at the time of the two international breaks. 

I'm sure he would have been slated had he decided to implement a formation change at either of those points.

I think given the fact that we continued picking up results up to Christmas would have postponed any plans he may have had to change the system.  Then when things did slide he tried to make changes 'in flight' without the required time in the training ground which is never easy, particularly when you have players not fully buying into the changes (allegedly).

Essentially the lockdown break has given him breathing space to settle on a plan, remove those players not buying in and have mini pre season to try to lock in the basics of the new formation. For me, based on the 3 games so far, we look much better for that.

So how about giving him a chance to build something?

1033200528_Clap2.gif.1fb2424d1cd3c9756b852f96ab15ed76.gif

• Haha 1