Garry Monk says 3-5-2 is the way forward but needs patience

A34BC30E-4277-40C6-9F5D-1A1217D3365E.jpeg

GM: This is our first real attempt to implement our way of doing it (3-5-2) in this period. It's going to take time and we need to show patience. This is the way we're going to move forward.

GM: I think the system suits them (the players). It bodes well for the future, definitely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

I think we saw enough against Bristol and Forest that it's worth persisting with for now.

It's a bit of a worry we haven't scored from open play yet, but from watching the matches I felt a large part of this has been poor individual shooting, crossing, and passing in the final third, but the tactic is seeming to work ok for getting us in decent positions and staying solid at the back, centrebacks not being fit withstanding.

Edited by Guest

Think it’s definitely been more effective. Think he’s having to put square pegs in round holes to make it work. But I hope he sticks with it and builds around this formation for next season. We’ve seen Wolves and Sheffield United have success at this level and carry it on in the Premier League using 3 at the back. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Why if this is the way forward has it taken all season for him to realise this??? 

Maybe he's not had the time on the training ground to get it bedded in and the break afforded him that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Why if this is the way forward has it taken all season for him to realise this??? 

Exactly, plus when we had hutch we had the players to do it, but now when we only have 1 or 2 cb's capable of it and 2 fb's playing cb resulting in conceeding goals from aerial crosses, he thinks it's the best time! 

Added to that reach could be the ideal player for it on the left but instead he either sits on bench or gets played out of position on right or centrally, clueless!

• Like 3

3-5-2 certainly looked effective against Forest and Bristol City whoever the game against WBA showed it only works if you have 3 strong CB’s - one weak link and then the defence is too easily overhauled. 

happy to continue with this formation so long as we get our recruitment right over the summer. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm just pleased we've picked a system and sticking to it. 

One of the big plusses from the last 3 games is that everyone seems to know their job. Makes the game much easier.

Whilst the results from the three games have been mixed I’d agree it’s the most cohesive we’ve looked in yonks.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Because he's had time to take stock and reflect over the enforced break, perhaps?

Don't forget, Monk was parachuted in with the season already underway and had less than 5 days on average between each game up until the lockdown started.

Things were going well up to the halfway point, at which point the games started coming even more thick and fast, leaving very little time for sweeping changes to try to arrest our slide.

If he's used the down time to take stock and reflect on how to do things better going forward, surely that's a good thing?

He's had plenty of time to suddenly realise this, how many international breaks?? I would suggest the games are coming thick and fast now but he's made this sweeping change when the players have had little to no time training together because of the lockdown. He's had the same players to work with, if anything he's got less now yet chooses to change it now we have less cover with Fox and Hutchinson??? Plus Fletcher would have thrived from more crosses into the box. 

Edited by full fathom five

51 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Maybe he's not had the time on the training ground to get it bedded in and the break afforded him that.

I'd suggest we've had less time on the training ground because of lockdown. It doesn't add up to suddenly realise this is the way forward with less personnel here who would have been suited to such a system even before the fallout.

6 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

He's had plenty of time to suddenly realise this, how many international breaks?? I would suggest the games are coming thick and fast now but he's made this sweeping change when the players have had little to no time training together because of the lockdown. He's had the same players to work with, if anything he's got less now yet chooses to change it now we have less cover with Fox and Hutchinson??? Plus Fletcher would have thrived from more crosses into the box. 

He’s had 2 international breaks. During the first international break we sat 8th, having won 3 out of 5 matches.

The second international break we sat 7th. Your suggesting that at those points he should have just transformed the team to a new formation despite doing reasonably well at said time.

• Like 1

Just now, 0114 said:

He’s had 2 international breaks. During the first international break we sat 8th, having won 3 out of 5 matches.

The second international break we sat 7th. Your suggesting that at those points he should have just transformed the team to a new formation despite doing reasonably well at said time.

If it is the way forward why not?

Also wasn't it the general consensus on here and in the stands of "how the hell are we up there playing like we are"