Garry Monk says 3-5-2 is the way forward but needs patience

Not a massive Monk fan but he is starting to talk sense. Willing to give him the summer and sign his own players to fit the system then we can judge him on that. He has inherited a lot of issues to be fair. It also seems like he's being his own man now. Wouldn't be surprised if Bullen is out of the first team picture next season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Need the right players for the system A  big un and a little un up front ,Rhodes and  Conner up front not the answer ,Center backs when fit Borner in middle big Dom and perhaps another signing other side ,Ball winner in midfield central ,Signings for next season Center half ,Ball winner midfield and goal scorer up front ,Wickham signed on loan for season ,Off load Rhodes if possible .

That wish list goes back to 2015/16!

• Thanks 1

As other posters have said I'm pleased that we finally have a plan and a chance to define our own style of play.

It also addresses one of our main shortcomings over the last few season in that our two man cental midfield was often overrun by teams paying a three.  This was plain for all to see in the play off final v Hull where the extra man in midfield allowed Huddlestone to run the show and then a year later v Huddersfield when Mooy did the same.

Hopefully, now that we have the numbers in midfield, it will be Bannan that is running the show for us rather than someone from the opposition.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I'm puzzled we decided to play a system with 3 centre backs when we only have one fit one. 

It wasn’t that simple was it.
Palmer had done well playing the position in the previous two games.

If we had played 4 at the back then somebody would have had to play at the side of Iorfa and we would still had Odubajo on the pitch whilst also having to change the midfield and or strikers tactics.

He decided to make the one player change instead.

8 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Why was Jos castigated for playing this way? It was regarded as boring and defensive. 

Because we played it in a much more defensive way under Jos, there are many different ways to play, the formation is just the base.

We're using Harris and Murphy as wing backs now, before we were using full backs who weren't good enough going forward, it was much more of a flat back 5.

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not adverse to trying this system, but unless he’s only talking about this season, he can’t say it suits the players A lot of the players in the squad probably won’t be here next season

But, if it suits the core of the remaining players, we can recruit new players to suit the system. 

• Like 2

I was OK with Monk`s appointment ( could have done better , equally could have done worse) , but IMHO it took him far too long to implement this shape which is quite clearly the best fit for our current personnel, ie  we always look poor with just 2 central midfielders and/ or a lone striker.

Pleased that he has finally seen the light and hopefully we can base recruitment around a style , rather than just haphazardly bringing players in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, York_Owl said:

As other posters have said I'm pleased that we finally have a plan and a chance to define our own style of play.

It also addresses one of our main shortcomings over the last few season in that our two man cental midfield was often overrun by teams paying a three.  This was plain for all to see in the play off final v Hull where the extra man in midfield allowed Huddlestone to run the show and then a year later v Huddersfield when Mooy did the same.

Hopefully, now that we have the numbers in midfield, it will be Bannan that is running the show for us rather than someone from the opposition.

Agree with this. 

Good to hear monk say this is the plan going forward. Hopefully he brings in players that are suited to this system. Something Carlos never really did. 

Just a shame Monk won’t have access to the calibre of player Carlos had 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Agree with this. 

Good to hear monk say this is the plan going forward. Hopefully he brings in players that are suited to this system. Something Carlos never really did. 

Just a shame Monk won’t have access to the calibre of player Carlos had 

I’m not sure Monk would know how to utilise that calibre of player

5 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

I was OK with Monk`s appointment ( could have done better , equally could have done worse) , but IMHO it took him far too long to implement this shape which is quite clearly the best fit for our current personnel, ie  we always look poor with just 2 central midfielders and/ or a lone striker.

Pleased that he has finally seen the light and hopefully we can base recruitment around a style , rather than just haphazardly bringing players in.

If we lose to tomorrow fans will be screaming at him to change it.

Agree that it has seen two positive performances out of three. Annoyance is he stuck with it at the expense of having to play Oddjob as a centre back. Writing on the wall and an absolute tactical gift that we all noted would be exploited before kick off.  Not like we have any recognised wing backs at the club. For an ex-defender to not be able to recognise this shows he is a poor manager. Yes; formation works, but not when you lose two of the three centre half’s you had previously recognised as your best for those positions.Hope Lees and Borner are back tomorrow and Oddjob has played his last game. 

On 03/07/2020 at 08:41, @owlstalk said:

A34BC30E-4277-40C6-9F5D-1A1217D3365E.jpeg

GM: This is our first real attempt to implement our way of doing it (3-5-2) in this period. It's going to take time and we need to show patience. This is the way we're going to move forward.

GM: I think the system suits them (the players). It bodes well for the future, definitely.

I don't think the system suits Moses...

• Haha 1

On 03/07/2020 at 08:54, 0114 said:

Think it’s definitely been more effective. Think he’s having to put square pegs in round holes to make it work. But I hope he sticks with it and builds around this formation for next season. We’ve seen Wolves and Sheffield United have success at this level and carry it on in the Premier League using 3 at the back. 

I think he’s putting round pegs in round holes; he’s just moving where the holes are. What he’s done has made sense. Fox has gone so we have one proper fullback in Palmer who is a big strong lad that’s better at defending than attacking and is comfortable in possession; it made sense to play him on the right of a back three. 

• Like 1