Division 3 Appreciation Thread

33 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Remember this day purely because I had Wednesday in a 9 team accumulator. Every result i needed was coming through to fulltime and I was just driving down to the bookies (bet was done on a slip) with a right smile on my face thinking what I was going to spend my winnings on, next minute a score announcement on radio states that Jimmy Ryan had just scored a 94th minute equaliser for Scunthorpe at Walsall. No £960 winnings and I have hated Scunthorpe and Jimmy Ryan ever since.

Funnily enough, Keiron Agard scored a goal once that got me £11k on a bet. 

• Like 1

Whether we like it or not, the bl*nts are doing so well because they - eventually - made a cracking job of building from L1. 

If we could do something even remotely similar by using the opportunity to get some hungry players that want to play for the club and trusting that we can build them, I'd happily go round all those bloody grounds again.

My dream is to see Wednesday in a refurbished Hillsborough competing again in the top flight of English football

Anything that takes us further away from that dream is unwanted.

For this club to be out of the top flight for  more than 20 years is humiliating. 

• Like 3

Remember going to a match in that division (it was called Division 3 in those days). We played a certain Sheffield United and had rather a good time along with 49,000 others. Also remember being in that division and playing a certain Arsenal in the FA Cup. Went to 4 of the 5 matches. Not all doom and gloom in the lower reaches. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cbirks said:

Whether we like it or not, the bl*nts are doing so well because they - eventually - made a cracking job of building from L1. 

If we could do something even remotely similar by using the opportunity to get some hungry players that want to play for the club and trusting that we can build them, I'd happily go round all those bloody grounds again.

Thats because they had (and still have) a manager who knows what he is doing.

We have currently got Gary Monk.

• Like 1

Guest freerole
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Nope. Bez is a long standing member of the community and is expressing his opinion.

What if he was a long standing blade?

1 minute ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Monk knows what he's doing.  Go see my analysis on the Forest game.

1 hour ago, Doctor Duran said:

Dreadful tough league in which we would struggle..  some say we can rebuild better in league one..

We thought that last time and struggled,  we'd struggle to attract decent players.

No way do I want SWFC to endure anything lower than Championship level.  

Me neither mate, and I wouldn’t think any Wednesday fan would want to see us relegated to League One. 
We do though stand a good chance of that happening to us. Long, long winless run, threadbare squad, and the threat of a points deduction hanging over us. 
My point was, we’ve given ourselves a massive rebuilding job, that we will have to do on a significantly reduced budget, and in what will probably be a dramatically shortened closed season. Nothing that has happened in recent times, suggest to me that this would be doable. Not at this level anyway. 
If we drop a level though, yes our budget will be further reduced, but it will still be one of the biggest in the division. If we are shopping for League One and Two players, as some suggest we should be, then we would still be an attractive proposition for those players. That coupled with our existing players generally being a cut above that available to most at that level, should in theory make the rebuild a lot easier. 
Consequently, we should then take the opportunity to bring in a young manager who can not only rebuild, but can create a footballing philosophy going forwards We need a new identity

Edited by gurujuan

42 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

But they agent Wilson initially. Hopefully our next appointment is well suited to us and to the task... I await with bated breath. 

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

The best away days like notts county and walsall are sadly no longer in that division

Ah yes, Walsall and those chicken balti pies, which were banging !! Yeovil was a good away run as well.

It would not be the end of the world if we did end up relegated. Gives us a chance to regroup and build up for the future on  solid foundations.

46 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Me neither mate, and I wouldn’t think any Wednesday fan would want to see us relegated to League One. 
We do though stand a good chance of that happening to us. Long, long winless run, threadbare squad, and the threat of a points deduction hanging over us. 
My point was, we’ve given ourselves a massive rebuilding job, that we will have to do on a significantly reduced budget, and in what will probably be a dramatically shortened closed season. Nothing that has happened in recent times, suggest to me that this would be doable. Not at this level anyway. 
If we drop a level though, yes our budget will be further reduced, but it will still be one of the biggest in the division. If we are shopping for League One and Two players, as some suggest we should be, then we would still be an attractive proposition for those players. That coupled with our existing players generally being a cut above that available to most at that level, should in theory make the rebuild a lot easier. 
Consequently, we should then take the opportunity to bring in a young manager who can not only rebuild, but can create a footballing philosophy going forwards We need a new identity

You're deluded if you think any of those things will happen under DC. The best we can hope for is that we cling on to our championship status and get lucky until he sells us on. 

Long term strategy is not in Mr C's vocab. 

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Would be embarrassing a club Wednesday's size to have a 3rd spell at that level in a little over 15 years.

completely agree. People can argue all they want but seeing united in the Prem and us possibly being in league one makes it even more embarrassing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

completely agree. People can argue all they want but seeing united in the Prem and us possibly being in league one makes it even more embarrassing. 

Sadly it’s where we’re at