Rotherham United to join Sheffield Wednesday in Championship

Guest Maxine

Is anyone else looking forward to football returning (even though it won't be the same) or is it just me. 

If this happened in 2012, we would have been put in the playoffs, and the blunts in the autos.

That's how ridiculously screwed over some of the clubs will be after their January spending (which I assume still counts to FFP even though now it literally was not put to use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxine said:

Is anyone else looking forward to football returning (even though it won't be the same) or is it just me. 

I'm looking forward to been able to go and watch the actual games, but watching them with no crowd there doesn't excite me.  Unless they turn it on, and bag a hatful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

You don’t have to hang around...

Im not...football is curupt and ruined and totally driven by money now, clean or dirty.

You only have to look at Blatter and Plantini to cement that.

Ive not renewed my ST next year ( thank god) for the first time in years.

Defo not ' hanging' .

1 hour ago, Maxine said:

Just you.

2 hours ago, BowOwl said:

If this happened in 2012, we would have been put in the playoffs, and the blunts in the autos.

That's how ridiculously screwed over some of the clubs will be after their January spending (which I assume still counts to FFP even though now it literally was not put to use.

I was thinking of an example when I posted but was too angry to look it up.  Your example says it all doesn't it, and proves how ridiculous it is. I'm sure there are many, many other examples.

• Like 1

It is far from ideal.

Apparently, a lot of clubs wanted the thing voided as they couldn't afford to play on. It was the bigger sides down there pushing for the season to finish. There were also some absurd suggestions  of play off for the top half of the table. 

Does seem slightly absurd that we might have to finish off our season with half a squad (depending on contracts), whilst others are promoted/relegated by vote. 

What a way to be sent down though. Unless you were nailed on for relegation, youd be absolutely fuming. 

If I was teams like Peterbrough 

I'd be refusing to start again once the season started again 

The whole fiasco is a utter p155take

11 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Did Peterborough agree to it ? 

No, they voted against.

I guess another might have been Ipswich and I agree with what Paul lambert said.

Ipswich boss Paul Lambert called the points-per-game system "unfair", and questioned why English football could not replicate Germany, where the top divisions are all continuing.

"A lot of clubs will be self-interested, and that's normal," he told Sky Sports News. "It's never going to change and it's always going to be there.

Self-interest will prevail and I think that's exactly what happened. I think if the Premier League plays and the Championship plays, then League One  plays and League Two plays. We are one organisation and the testing should have come right down to everybody. 

It's one governing body and it should never be divided. If the Germans can do it in the Bundesliga, in the second division and the third division, I'm pretty sure England could certainly have done it"

The EFL should have made the decision that all the football league should either carry on or stop as one. They could have given League 1 and 2 clubs financial support to carry on.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

No, they voted against.

I guess another might have been Ipswich and I agree with what Paul lambert said.

Ipswich boss Paul Lambert called the points-per-game system "unfair", and questioned why English football could not replicate Germany, where the top divisions are all continuing.

"A lot of clubs will be self-interested, and that's normal," he told Sky Sports News. "It's never going to change and it's always going to be there.

Self-interest will prevail and I think that's exactly what happened. I think if the Premier League plays and the Championship plays, then League One  plays and League Two plays. We are one organisation and the testing should have come right down to everybody. 

It's one governing body and it should never be divided. If the Germans can do it in the Bundesliga, in the second division and the third division, I'm pretty sure England could certainly have done it"

The EFL should have made the decision that all the football league should either carry on or stop as one. They could have given League 1 and 2 clubs financial support to carry on.

Completely understandable view from Lambert and I agree with him but he doesn't take into account that many clubs at that level could not afford to have players return from furlough to play and have to pay them without any income.

However, it remains to be seen where such clubs will be if they have to start next season without any fans in the ground if they couldn't afford to finish this season. 

22 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Sure I read somewhere that MacAnthony promised him he could leave if they weren't promoted.

Director of football Barry Fry said there was no chance of him staying in League One next season and they wouldn't expect him to.

11 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Is that how much they wanted?!

That's how much Fry quoted to Celtic and Rangers who have apparently shown an interest, not sure Barry Fry has ever lived in the real world though.

3 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

No, they voted against.

The whole thing is a joke.

Just actually seen the fixtures that Rotherham had left. 9 games to go, 6 of them were against teams in the top 10, including 4 games against teams who were either 2 or 3 points below them in the "final" table (2 of those away from home), and the other 3 were against teams who'd have been scrapping for their lives in the relegation zone (2 of those 3 being away from home).

Talk about being in the right place at the right game when the season was abandoned... 

It doesn't seem fair because there was still a lot of points to play for and I think there would have been a lot of changing positions.

Obviously every club voted to finish the season now for purely selfish reasons. Who can say Wycombe would have to won their game in hand to get in the play offs, a point wouldn't have done it. They were given 1.75 points for it, moving them from 8th to 4th.

What I find bizarre is the 4 play off teams saying they couldn't play on, the season had to finish. But you have  2 or 3 play off games to play now, oh yeah we'll play them, no probs. 

On 11/06/2020 at 00:50, Thurcroft owl 72 said:

Already seeing loads of the bottom feeders shirts all over place. Won't be long before there's a 50/50 pigs/millers scarf knocking about

A Rotherham bloke, living in Rotherham, seeing lots of Rotherham shirts. How odd!