October 1st touted as the first date back for football fans

As if people are turning their nose up at this. I’d much rather this happen then no football at all. And we’re not going to wait for a vaccine before all this kicks off again, do you honestly believe that? 

I mean who the hell wants to see us in the flesh after this season? Play it out behind closed doors than back in the stands next season when we’re hopefully much improved. 

Edited by FreshOwl

13 hours ago, gurujuan said:

They are saying we will still need to practice social distancing, at least until the new year. Even playing football behind closed doors means players not complying with those guidelines. That’s not really sending the right message is it

Our midfield & defence usually social distance from opponents...............sorted !!!

44 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

There’s not a single aspect of playing games behind closed doors that complies with social distancing

And asking clubs to operate playing games behind closed doors , does not , can not , and won’t work financially for the majority of the EFL that arnt been funded by stinking rich owners 

The EFL is supposed to be about protecting the integrity of the sport,   What’s gonna happen to the league one/two clubs that can’t survive with no fans through gates ?  Screw them if they can’t afford to sing to the tune of the desperate footballing authorities that are only concerned about £££££

The PL will embark on a rigorous testing regime - which we know isn't foolproof by any means

But they will come up with some scheme and the govt will put it back on the PL - as they have done every other business/workplace

The lengths the PL are prepared to go to far outstrips what can be achieved in the EFL - so they'll be left to fend for themselves

The one thing that i think the PL must be made to understand is that any consequences of staging games - such as gatherings at stadiums, in towns or locations, as fans prepare to celebrate success (such as Liverpool winning the PL) - then it must be that the responsibility for those consequences lies entirely with the PL

1 hour ago, scram said:

The PL will embark on a rigorous testing regime - which we know isn't foolproof by any means

But they will come up with some scheme and the govt will put it back on the PL - as they have done every other business/workplace

The lengths the PL are prepared to go to far outstrips what can be achieved in the EFL - so they'll be left to fend for themselves

The one thing that i think the PL must be made to understand is that any consequences of staging games - such as gatherings at stadiums, in towns or locations, as fans prepare to celebrate success (such as Liverpool winning the PL) - then it must be that the responsibility for those consequences lies entirely with the PL

Yeah good points,  it just absolutely stinks for me that the PL are prepared to go to any lengths just to keep the absurd amounts of money coming in ,  EFL clubs will go to the walk if forced to play behind closed doors 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not comfortable about football using privilege to flout the guidance everybody else are expected to adhere to 

Spot on Guru 

7 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Agree with a lot of this but the bit about travel being impossible is way off.

Spain, Greece & Portugal are lobbying massively for tourism to restart ASAP to avoid national bankruptcy.

I suppose it depends what you read ,must admit ive read some rubbish lately , even saying having screens between seats on planes ,removing middle seat and having it backwards , and if you read if true what spain ,canaries are planning you wouldn't bother going abroad this year, next year the restrictions are so tight ,holidays suppose to be fun and a chilled out experience but allowing only a small amount of people into cafes,pubs,etc and they are having to remove all menu etc and if you want food they will text you menu ,I thought we had idiots and bureaucracy here . do these people want to completely wipe themselves out .how will it work around swimming pool? will you get an allocated time round pool? and have a time slot for your sunlounger ? all this cr*p talk is doing my head in what planet do they live on.  I might move to Sweden as they seem like only ones what have got sense. 

7 hours ago, the monk said:

I would imagine the risk is the healthy footballer shakes hand or has close contact with another healthy player that has picked up the virus on a door handle or whatever that day then takes it home with him 

regards door handles ,bin lids etc etc a lot of people have been brain washed as you cannot get the virus that way or put it this way very very unlikely , the virus cant survive outdoors on any surface for more than 5 minutes . inside that's different ,buses,supermarkets etc those places are swarming with germs. the figure states 95 out of every 100 deaths are in people with underlaying health issues out of the other 5 most of those are over 65 , the chance of a footballer dying is zero . but until they let supporters attend there is just no point of football matches unless they want to play league cup behind closed doors as hardly anybody is bothered about attending that.

Why would players agree? It is a contact sport although our defence has been practicing social distancing for a while now.

Can you imagine the goal mouth scrum at a corner?

Even if everybody is tested, it only takes one isolated incident to close down a team (and their opposition)

As a country we should be a lot more interested about normal people getting back to work, companies operating again and attempting to improve the economic mess we are in rather than spending time pandering to the egos of some self important sports body.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not comfortable about football using privilege to flout the guidance everybody else are expected to adhere to 

Was on the BBC this morning that the governments 5 red lines would have to be met before football or any sport is to restart

think this is just the PL and maybe the EFL putting it out there to see what the response is

no way can football be treated differently, or people would have a perfect defence in court when fined for playing in the park,

10 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Yeah, exactly. I know this has been covered already, but 36 squad players, 2 managers, 4 officials, 2 Physio's/Doctors, plus plus plus. Whether or not cameras can be operated remotely, I don't know (I know they can, the BBC amongst others use them, but for a sporting event?) but surely getting close to 100 people that would need to be present, at some point before, during and after, to stage a game.

Let's face it, football - in the grand scheme of things - is way down the list of priorities.

Someone posted on here that he'd read Bundesliga teams had estimated that 300 people would be required directly to host a game. Then of course these people go home and exponentially increase the contact indirectly to who knows how many? I've seen one study suggest that even amongst the age group of footballers, with no known underlying health conditions, the mortality rate is at something approaching 1%. So if 100 players were to become infected completing the season...

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

I suppose it depends what you read ,must admit ive read some rubbish lately , even saying having screens between seats on planes ,removing middle seat and having it backwards , and if you read if true what spain ,canaries are planning you wouldn't bother going abroad this year, next year the restrictions are so tight ,holidays suppose to be fun and a chilled out experience but allowing only a small amount of people into cafes,pubs,etc and they are having to remove all menu etc and if you want food they will text you menu ,I thought we had idiots and bureaucracy here . do these people want to completely wipe themselves out .how will it work around swimming pool? will you get an allocated time round pool? and have a time slot for your sunlounger ? all this cr*p talk is doing my head in what planet do they live on.  I might move to Sweden as they seem like only ones what have got sense. 

You realise that planes are pressurised at altitude so the same air is being constantly recirculated? No screens in the world will prevent the virus spreading freely in that cabin.

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

regards door handles ,bin lids etc etc a lot of people have been brain washed as you cannot get the virus that way or put it this way very very unlikely , the virus cant survive outdoors on any surface for more than 5 minutes . inside that's different ,buses,supermarkets etc those places are swarming with germs. the figure states 95 out of every 100 deaths are in people with underlaying health issues out of the other 5 most of those are over 65 , the chance of a footballer dying is zero . but until they let supporters attend there is just no point of football matches unless they want to play league cup behind closed doors as hardly anybody is bothered about attending that.

This is Donald Trump logic - the power of my will is enough to force the universe to comply with whatever I want. It's clear that scientists are unclear on so many aspects of the virus and how to combat it. The Guardian reported that coronavirus was found present on a cruise ship 17 days after passengers had disembarked, it's been widely reported that it can survive for 9 days outside the body and around 3 days on hard surfaces. I've read parts of a report published in a scientific journal which indicated that the evidence at the moment suggests it could persist in the atmosphere without a host for several hours, but the effects of temperature, humidity and lighting were still largely undetermined. Watching the rate of infection and death these last few weeks, even with many aspects of everyday life on hold, makes it incredible that someone can be so flippant and dismissive about it. My guess is that the situation will remain unaffected by your levels of irritation or selective analysis.

• Like 1

Let's say this happens and season restarts...then 4 or 5 games in a club such as Norwich look nailed on for relegation.

They know it...everybody does.

What's to stop them getting players with symptoms for the next few months continuously? Thus rendering their entire squad into isolation?

If they can't play...the season can't be completed and it's not their fault so they can't be punished.

Teams and clubs are desperate for the season to restart....but I bet they will be just as desperate not to get relegated..nearer the time.

18 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Someone posted on here that he'd read Bundesliga teams had estimated that 300 people would be required directly to host a game. Then of course these people go home and exponentially increase the contact indirectly to who knows how many? I've seen one study suggest that even amongst the age group of footballers, with no known underlying health conditions, the mortality rate is at something approaching 1%. So if 100 players were to become infected completing the season...

You realise that planes are pressurised at altitude so the same air is being constantly recirculated? No screens in the world will prevent the virus spreading freely in that cabin.

300? Wow, that does surprise me somewhat, but at the same time it's not that far fetched. And if that is the case, and the R figure - the figure of virus transmission between people - is 0.5, that still means that if one person there was positive, 150 could be infected. I'm sure there would be tests to make sure people weren't positive, but even so. I wouldn't risk it.

AFAIK, planes replace 50% of the air in the cabin, drawn in from outside, every few minutes, through HEPA filters. I'm not sure if these can block the virus, but it's not the same air being recirclutated. However, if the filters can't take out the virus, then again it's a huge risk being on a plane, with just one person infected.

30 minutes ago, trev said:

Let's say this happens and season restarts...then 4 or 5 games in a club such as Norwich look nailed on for relegation.

They know it...everybody does.

What's to stop them getting players with symptoms for the next few months continuously? Thus rendering their entire squad into isolation?

If they can't play...the season can't be completed and it's not their fault so they can't be punished.

Or fans will turn up, which will be against the lockdown rules, and the police will call games off on safety grounds therefore the season wont be completed

a new interpretation of fans invading the pitch to get games postponed

until the lockdown is relaxed enough to allow some support there are far too many variables to account for 

12 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

However, if the filters can't take out the virus, then again it's a huge risk being on a plane, with just one person infected.

I once got flu in the summer, never before have I had flu in the summer or since.

Anyhow a couple of days after I got back off my hols had to go to docs, felt real shyte...

He said 90% certain I caught it on the plane..

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.jpg

The Star understands that the EFL have set a date of October 1 as the earliest opportunity when supporters could return to stadiums, with all fixtures played prior to that date – whether as part of the 2019/20 or 2020/21 season – set to be behind closed doors.

Indeed, the October threshold is viewed as optimistic by many parties given the government’s warning that social distancing measures are set to be in place in some form until the end of the year.

In a letter to clubs earlier this month, the EFL admitted that they were working under the assumption that all games played in the 2019/20 season – whenever it may resume – were to be played behind closed doors.

I wish I was a journalist these days.  It's so easy.  You just make a load of rubbish up based on no facts or information then say "Mattitheowl understands...". I saw a news article the other day reporting on a celeb's instagram story. It was just a piece of opinion of  a photograph!  Money for old rope.

Just not bothered...