October 1st touted as the first date back for football fans

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, crookesowl said:

This is utter BS. How can they possibly even hint at a return date. 

They just have.

Certain restrictions are being lifted all over Europe and we are not even at the end of April.

By October, I personally believe most things will be back to normal.

I don’t see why we need to be too pessimistic about the chances of returning to some kind of normality by October.  Surely we all need to be open minded? Ultimately the medical science and the numbers will dictate, but perhaps over the coming months the confirmed cases will drop off at the same time as medical science improves our understanding of the virus? Personally I expect things to steadily improve over the summer months.

i get it that sporting events are a nightmare for social distancing, but we are all looking at the risks based on what we understand today. Only time will tell, but I can’t see any point in being too downbeat about where we might be in 6 months time. 

31 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

I get the situation and points made , but for gods sake what healthy under 30 year old footballer is at what risk? the stats are out of 800 deaths that 760 have underlaying health problems then the other 40 most of them will be over 60 , I think the main problem is this virus isn't properly understood and does it mutate? and as the patent becomes more severely ill does that become a much more dangerous illness and why over a 100 health professionals have died?. until that's found out then there cant be football pubs etc. but purely on a risk factor its based on your age your health for 99.9% of us. 

I would imagine the risk is the healthy footballer shakes hand or has close contact with another healthy player that has picked up the virus on a door handle or whatever that day then takes it home with him 

26 minutes ago, the monk said:

I would imagine the risk is the healthy footballer shakes hand or has close contact with another healthy player that has picked up the virus on a door handle or whatever that day then takes it home with him 

Not only that but players can bring it in from home and even fit players still have underlying conditions - Paul Scholes a typical example. Played at the highest level but suffered from Asthma. We’ve all heard of players collapsing with unidentified heart conditions. They might be young and fit but players aren’t immune. Also the long lasting effects may mean they never play again. If you or I got it, God forbid, we may recover to continue a normal life. But can people recover to level of being a top athlete? Big risks for the players and the clubs.

10 hours ago, Rodger Wylde said:

If I was I player I'd refuse to play until it was deemed safe for everyone.

Simple as that.

It will only need one member of a squad or coaching staff to come down with symptoms for games to be called off. It will be chaos if they try to play games any time soon.

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

Agree with a lot of this but the bit about travel being impossible is way off.

Spain, Greece & Portugal are lobbying massively for tourism to restart ASAP to avoid national bankruptcy.

i`ve been looking at flights, you can still book them, admittedly one way ones not to Europe, around June seems fine. however its heavily stated these could be cancelled or re arranged

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

Agree with a lot of this but the bit about travel being impossible is way off.

Spain, Greece & Portugal are lobbying massively for tourism to restart ASAP to avoid national bankruptcy.

But who would want to travel to a country for a holiday if the virus is still rife there and risk being stranded if there's a lockdown? If we get the virus under control over here but there's still problens in say France, why would we want their teams/fans to fly here? At some point governments will have to decide to relax the social distancing and sacrifice lives for the sake of the worldwide economy but it will still only be for anything classed as 'essential' until we have a vaccine and I doubt sport will fall into that category.

Guest LittleG

According to the news this morning, the PL have been in discussions with the Govt and it was stated that the PL could restart as early as June, behind closed doors. It's all about the money.

14 minutes ago, LittleG said:

According to the news this morning, the PL have been in discussions with the Govt and it was stated that the PL could restart as early as June, behind closed doors. It's all about the money.

Yea and hopefully it will be declined. Football is a spectator sport, take out the fans and the game dies. No games should happen until fans can return again.

Guest LittleG
11 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Yea and hopefully it will be declined. Football is a spectator sport, take out the fans and the game dies. No games should happen until fans can return again.

I agree but have a feeling PL thinks it is a law unto themselves.

If the game returns behind closed doors I’ll be very disappointed,  rotten to the core and absolutely NO regard for the fans , this is not an ‘effort’ to get the season done it’s an effort to make sure they can carry on lining there pockets at the top tables of the games authorities 

Pi55 poor 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

If the game returns behind closed doors I’ll be very disappointed,  rotten to the core and absolutely NO regard for the fans , this is not an ‘effort’ to get the season done it’s an effort to make sure they can carry on lining there pockets at the top tables of the games authorities 

Pi55 poor 

Totally agree football should start when it's deemed safe to attend

There’s not a single aspect of playing games behind closed doors that complies with social distancing

And asking clubs to operate playing games behind closed doors , does not , can not , and won’t work financially for the majority of the EFL that arnt been funded by stinking rich owners 

The EFL is supposed to be about protecting the integrity of the sport,   What’s gonna happen to the league one/two clubs that can’t survive with no fans through gates ?  Screw them if they can’t afford to sing to the tune of the desperate footballing authorities that are only concerned about £££££

16 hours ago, trev said:

I remember the England game recently which was played behind closed doors.

It's was dire.

I turned it off after 20 mins.

When u can hear the players shouting on the pitch and the managers barking orders....it just doesn't seem right.

said it before - the single best protest by supporters would be simply to not go for a week.

watch sky presenters squirming about trying to make something look exciting when you can hear a pin drop.

football behind closed doors is boring. 

5 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Yeah, exactly. I know this has been covered already, but 36 squad players, 2 managers, 4 officials, 2 Physio's/Doctors, plus plus plus. Whether or not cameras can be operated remotely, I don't know (I know they can, the BBC amongst others use them, but for a sporting event?) but surely getting close to 100 people that would need to be present, at some point before, during and after, to stage a game.

Let's face it, football - in the grand scheme of things - is way down the list of priorities.

Not to mention ambulances and police that will still be required to attend games with no fans.

Also fans will turn up outside the grounds, that’s a given.

Social distancing until new year means no football, cricket, rugby, golf etc can possibly be played