October 1st touted as the first date back for football fans

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.jpg

The Star understands that the EFL have set a date of October 1 as the earliest opportunity when supporters could return to stadiums, with all fixtures played prior to that date – whether as part of the 2019/20 or 2020/21 season – set to be behind closed doors.

Indeed, the October threshold is viewed as optimistic by many parties given the government’s warning that social distancing measures are set to be in place in some form until the end of the year.

In a letter to clubs earlier this month, the EFL admitted that they were working under the assumption that all games played in the 2019/20 season – whenever it may resume – were to be played behind closed doors.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

I don't like this behind closed doors malarkey, I know it's difficult to try and finish this season but yet again the fans are last in the queue of priority.

It's absurd. People don't want to watch on TV a load of blokes they don't know playing a private game. What makes football special are the fans, the banter, the singing, the chanting, the atmosphere, the history. Otherwise why go at all, just wander into your local park and watch two pub games.

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The Star understands that the EFL have set a date of October 1 as the earliest opportunity when supporters could return to stadiums, with all fixtures played prior to that date – whether as part of the 2019/20 or 2020/21 season – set to be behind closed doors.

Indeed, the October threshold is viewed as optimistic by many parties given the government’s warning that social distancing measures are set to be in place in some form until the end of the year.

In a letter to clubs earlier this month, the EFL admitted that they were working under the assumption that all games played in the 2019/20 season – whenever it may resume – were to be played behind closed doors.

Soooo Oxford boffins who are 80% confident they have a vaccine for covid-19 have said they would like it to be ready September.

Maybe.

If everything goes perfect (that was their words).

They hope to have a couple of million doses ready for then to give to the most vulnerable and key workers.

They say it could take 12-18 months longer to get the mass numbers needed to vaccinate everyone.

But football thinks huge crowds may be able to attend matches sat 3cm apart from Oct??? 

Absolutely baffling. I think the word Optimistic is a huge understatement.

Oct 2021...maybe.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It's absurd. People don't want to watch on TV a load of blokes they don't know playing a private game. What makes football special are the fans, the banter, the singing, the chanting, the atmosphere, the history. Otherwise why go at all, just wander into your local park and watch two pub games.

I remember the England game recently which was played behind closed doors.

It's was dire.

I turned it off after 20 mins.

When u can hear the players shouting on the pitch and the managers barking orders....it just doesn't seem right.

25 minutes ago, trev said:

Soooo Oxford boffins who are 80% confident they have a vaccine for covid-19 have said they would like it to be ready September.

Maybe.

If everything goes perfect (that was their words).

They hope to have a couple of million doses ready for then to give to the most vulnerable and key workers.

They say it could take 12-18 months longer to get the mass numbers needed to vaccinate everyone.

But football thinks huge crowds may be able to attend matches sat 3cm apart from Oct??? 

Absolutely baffling. I think the word Optimistic is a huge understatement.

Oct 2021...maybe.

Pretty much all sports are doing it aren't they. Gov are putting out little snippets of hope for when things may happen and all sports are saying they could be back 5 days after that. It will be a long way off.

So do we take notice of the thousands of scientists who have wasted their lives on decades of research, testing and hypotheses and frittering away millions of pounds of public money in doing so... or do the folks at the EFL really know what they are talking about?

I'm looking forward to seeing the EFL picking up their well deserved Nobel Prize for Medicine.

• Haha 9

12 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

So do we take notice of the thousands of scientists who have wasted their lives on decades of research, testing and hypotheses and frittering away millions of pounds of public money in doing so... or do the folks at the EFL really know what they are talking about?

I'm looking forward to seeing the EFL picking up their well deserved Nobel Prize for Medicine.

The EFL chiefs have all had a jump on us, they have all been and had their Domestos Jabs lol

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I think October is extremely optimistic for mass gatherings of any kind. I doubt any of us will have a Christmas drink in a pub this year, let alone be in a stadium with 1000s of fans.

Or the number of people needed to put a behind closed doors match on TV

They are saying we will still need to practice social distancing, at least until the new year. Even playing football behind closed doors means players not complying with those guidelines. That’s not really sending the right message is it

10 minutes ago, Rodger Wylde said:

If I was I player I'd refuse to play until it was deemed safe for everyone.

Simple as that.

Clubs wouldn't put players worth hundreds of millions of pounds at risk anyway. Insurance companies also do everything they can to avoid paying out on claims so clubs won't start playing again until they know they are fully covered. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nut said:

Clubs wouldn't put players worth hundreds of millions of pounds at risk anyway. Insurance companies also do everything they can to avoid paying out on claims so clubs won't start playing again until they know they are fully covered. 

Good point

Owlstalk Shop

I don't think some people realise how hard the PL are lobbying the govt to resume the season

They will do what it takes to get games on and for the avoidance of doubt - fans attending games is so far down their priority list it's non existent +

There are so many contractual hurdles to overcome that it seems almost impossible to navigate through them all - and in that sense voiding the season seems the most logical and least troublesome

And as unpalatable as that maybe it is the least worst option

I think football authorities probably haven't gauged just how much they can lose supporters by playing games behind closed doors

I think all fans deep down know they're being taken for a ride - ridiculous prices to watch a substandard product in generally poor facilities - but fans have sucked it up

But when it's wiped in their face and demonstrated they aren't important or cared for then i can see quite a few turning their back on the game

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3