Ex Sheffield Wednesday players as pub landlords

I knew of a pub landlord in Sheffield who was an ex player but not, for the Owls he was the last profession player to sign for Accrington Stanley before they went bust and use to be my local for many years when my dad was alive. The Hallamshire at Commonside

Edited by room0035

Guest Ferkorf

Terry Currans got one out near the kinsley dog track he owns with his brothers (as far as I'm aware)

I got a great story of being there on his birthday one Sunday a few years back.

I took a photo of all his family together for them as one of them had to stand out of it to take it. As they all split apart I shook his hand and said do you mind if I get a selfie, I got a quick snap then walked off...

Leaving Terrys brother stood there wondering what the ferk just happened and my Barnsley supporting father in law and 2 brother in laws  in tears of laughter lol

I saw him not too long after at a friends funeral in Stocksbridge, I ducked him just incase he recognised me 

Edited by Ferkorf

47 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I knew of a pub landlord in Sheffield who was an ex player but not, for the Owls he was the last profession player to sign for Accrington Stanley before they went bust and use to be my local for many years when my dad was alive. The Hallamshire at Commonside

Les May - great bloke.

44 minutes ago, Kevan said:

Didn't David Layne have a pub at one time too?

he did - the crown on Meadowhall road. Pubs still open. 

57 minutes ago, Kevan said:

Didn't David Layne have a pub at one time too?

He kept the Castle Arms at Bolsover for a good few years, and also played cricket for Bolsover Colliery in the A section of the Bassetlaw League, which was a fair standard at that time.

Peter Swan kept a pub on Sheffield Road at Chesterfield, just below the old Grammar School, I think it was called the Saint Helena, but my memory is well past it's sell by date.

24 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Peter Swan had the Mill pub at Brimmington for years. (Has he still??) Seem to recall the pub sign had him in his England kit.

I thought he was still there also .

He has Alzheimer’s I believe. 

Saw him on Whittington moor a few years ago , saw him first from behind but could tell it was him , very distinctive