Ex Sheffield Wednesday players as pub landlords

3 hours ago, ka58 said:

he did - the crown on Meadowhall road. Pubs still open. 

He was also the landlord of the Staniforth Arms on Staniforth Rd,  I used to work for a band that played there every Wednesday night.

Himself and the family came on a boating holiday we all went on one year, a good laugh and a great guy!  Had a bit of fun with a barmaid there gave her a lift home one Wednesday night, ooh errr missus!   Got to know his daughter quite well a lovely lass, she recognised me years later when she had grown up to boozing age.      Good times back then around early eighties I think.

Edited by attyjake

3 hours ago, hugeowl said:

I thought he was still there also .

He has Alzheimer’s I believe. 

Saw him on Whittington moor a few years ago , saw him first from behind but could tell it was him , very distinctive 

I believe the pub changed its name to Flicks when the pub sign had Swanny on it but think it has changed back to the Mill, I also think 1 of his sons still runs it. Son-law played football against them, Mill Madrid was the football team.

5 hours ago, Kevan said:

Didn't David Layne have a pub at one time too?

4 hours ago, sage owl said:

He used to have a pub on Stainforth road can't remember the name. 

I think David Layne had the cooked hat or top hat sumatt like that

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

I knew of a pub landlord in Sheffield who was an ex player but not, for the Owls he was the last profession player to sign for Accrington Stanley before they went bust and use to be my local for many years when my dad was alive. The Hallamshire at Commonside

4 hours ago, ka58 said:

Les May - great bloke.

I knew Les as you say a smashing bloke. Had a pub quite near the ski village at one time and had a letter from Accrington Stanley offering a contract framed in the pub. I think he also had another pub perhaps in wadsley but it is getting to nearly 30 years ago.

18 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I knew Les as you say a smashing bloke. Had a pub quite near the ski village at one time and had a letter from Accrington Stanley offering a contract framed in the pub. I think he also had another pub perhaps in wadsley but it is getting to nearly 30 years ago.

He had The Forest on Rutland Rd and the Hallamshire House.

Smashing company is Les ... David Layne too who are both good pals.

Laynie's had more pubs than I care to remember.

Edited by erowl

12 minutes ago, erowl said:

He had The Forest on Rutland Rd and the Hallamshire House.

Smashing company is Les ... David Layne too who are both good pals.

Laynie's had more pubs than I care to remember.

The Hallamshire was also the pub where Ellis Rimmer was landlord. Ellis scored 2 in the FA cup final victory over WBA and 2 in his first England game against Scotland (5-2) in 1930 where there were 4 Wednesday players taking part. Wow.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Triple O said:

The Hallamshire was also the pub where Ellis Rimmer was landlord. Ellis scored 2 in the FA cup final victory over WBA and 2 in his first England game against Scotland (5-2) in 1930 where there were 4 Wednesday players taking part. Wow.

my hero …league champion , cup winner , international  ,bar owner , jazz pianist ,well connected cool dude ...what a life 

v0_large.jpg

Edited by torryowl
  • Like 1