Is this legitimate??

19 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

No, what I’m commenting on is how some, with the massive benefit of hindsight, are now lauding the Brentford model as an obvious route to take when 3 years ago when we were in the position to sell these players on for millions the Brentford model was not seen as a particularly successful one - more of a curious experiment. I’m not defending DC at all, I’m just astounded at the amount of revisionist thinking used to criticise him on here sometimes.

Fair enough. I genuinely don't believe it's realistic to think we could've followed the Brentford model. But the alternative to not following their model isn't running a club like a shitshow.

I think the Brentford comments now are more a reaction to the apparent disrespect DC has shown towards it, which is laughable, considering the mess he's got us in.

Edited by bobness

10 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Norwich sold Maddison and them down in S2 sold Brooks. I am sure they had fans that were not too happy about the decision. Both clubs went ahead and did it anyway. Both clubs built a team capable of automatic promotion.All clubs buy and sell players. It's just that we've not been reyt good at it recently.

Recently equates to decades

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

The bottom line issue is why other clubs can do this and we can't. It doesn't worry me who the other clubs happen to be. Just the mechanics. Why can Brentford identify so many players that they sell on at a good return yet we never seem to find any? 

Agreed, because "on paper" few, if any, of Dem Blavges' squad would get into another Premier League side and yet, as a team, they are ripping up the Premier League.

We have had managers like this in the past. Jack Charlton, for instance, took journeymen players - Curran, McCulloch, Hornsby, Bannister, etc. -  from struggling elsewhere and turned them into superstar legends of S6. BY doing so, he took us from staring down the abyss of the Fourth Division to the brink of promotion to the top level in five years.

Under the past few regimes, we have done exactly the opposite - taken decent players (or more likely, players advertised as "decent players") and turned them into journeymen, assuming that they weren't journeymen in the first place.

The current profit and sustainability regulations allow us to lose a maximum of £39m over the course of a rolling three year period. Our actual deficit up to the end of the last accounting year was (from memory) £67m. Despite this enormous overspend being apparent well in advance, we attempted a last minute panic measure to circumvent this which the league has taken exception to and could result in very harsh penalties.

Does any of this sound like we should have even the slightest faith that the club is being operated prudently and sustainably?  And yet according to the reports of this audience from His Majesty, there is nothing seriously amiss here. I didn't have much confidence in the direction of the club before, but my God, this is far worse than I could have imagined. The house is burning down around us yet he's still sat there with a snifter of brandy cheerily watching Countryfile and telling people not to bother phoning the fire brigade.

Up like the rocket; down like the stick.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bobness said:

Don't think he has any money left to chuck

It doesn't sound like that is the case from the previous posts about the meeting. Whether he is allowed to spend it is a completely different matter.

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

After failing at wembley it was the right thing to carry on signing................provided we shifted some out, unfortunately we didnt, and we also recruited badly.

But after Huddersfield it was absolutely the right time to sell some of them as we then knew what was coming.

After the Huddersfield game we should have shipped the manager and the players we could get rid of     Most of them had two goes at promotion and failed. 

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

In hindsight we should have sold. At the time if we’d sold all our best players would you have been happy with the “we’re copying the Brentford model “ line?

Iv never been happy with the "let's copy brighton" or the new "let's copy brentford" but we definitely needed a turnover of players. 

4 hours ago, torres said:

It again all comes down to buying the right players to obtain your objective.

We went all out on getting promoted in that second year (with no back up plan) and we are still paying the price 

The players purchased were not good enough to get where we wanted to be and were always very unlikely to have any sell on value if things failed 

It was a double hit 

After the first year I can understand the reasoning behind going all out the second year. We could see where the team needed strengthening. A few of the right players, of the right quality, in the right positions and we would have done it. Instead we didn't strengthen the right areas, we took a scattergun approach and signed players for the wrong positions, of the wrong quality and the wrong ages.

DC sanctioned those buys but whoever advised him was wrong.

We are where we are, look at the past to learn from our mistakes and move forward would now be the sensible thing to do. I've no idea if that will happen. Whatever the future holds I don't think we can move forward until the EFL thing is sorted one way or the other. We just don't know where we stand so we don't know what to do.

We can't be an attractive prospect for a buyer at present and DC can't look at selling until the future is clearer.

3 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Then it suggest either our model is wrong or the people tasked with the recruitment lack the necessary nous and should be replaced.

They were. Bruce brought in a couple of experts who are still here. They seem to have done a decent job at the beginning of this season. It's still hit and miss but the players are cheaper or free, low wages apparently and certainly younger. It's a start.

We also need help in selling players, that's our other major problem. If DC is in control of that we are likely to ask too much or hold on too long.

40 minutes ago, prowl said:

It doesn't sound like that is the case from the previous posts about the meeting. Whether he is allowed to spend it is a completely different matter.

By "allowed to spend" do you mean the money's there, just his daddy isn't letting him use it?

36 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The current profit and sustainability regulations allow us to lose a maximum of £39m over the course of a rolling three year period. Our actual deficit up to the end of the last accounting year was (from memory) £67m. Despite this enormous overspend being apparent well in advance, we attempted a last minute panic measure to circumvent this which the league has taken exception to and could result in very harsh penalties.

Does any of this sound like we should have even the slightest faith that the club is being operated prudently and sustainably?  And yet according to the reports of this audience from His Majesty, there is nothing seriously amiss here. I didn't have much confidence in the direction of the club before, but my God, this is far worse than I could have imagined. The house is burning down around us yet he's still sat there with a snifter of brandy cheerily watching Countryfile and telling people not to bother phoning the fire brigade.

Up like the rocket; down like the stick.

The financial aspect of the club is the most worrying part.

I've nothing against DC on a personal level, we should be judging him on the capabilities of delivering success on/off the pitch - that is the right thing to do. 

Where I take real issue with what's transpired and thinking about the financial side, is that every business owner has an obilgation/responsibility, call it what you will to ensure the longivity of the business. 

My question to DC would be to ask if he 'genuinely' believes that is a sound plan given the position we are in. 

Seems pretty clear that he will go for another boom or bust season regardless of the consequences, and be talking as openly as he has to the average fan on the terrace would suggest that he's pretty confident both in that strategy, and of overcoming the EFL charges. 

I personally don't see that happening on either front. 

I've just gone through this and correct me if I'm wrong but does this mean that no one asked about Paxo or possible points deduction? Seriously wtf?! 

Chairman - useless, fans who claim they want to make a difference - useless, I'm quickly losing interest in the club and just the sport as a whole, such a shame.

Edited by Gnarwolf

Just now, Gnarwolf said:

I've just gone through this and correct me if I'm wrong but does this mean that no one asked about Paxo or possible points deduction? Seriously wtf?! 

Chairman useless, fans who claim they want to make a difference useless, I'm quickly losing interest in the club and just the sport as a whole, such a shame.

The handpicked fans that went were never going to ask any tough questions. 

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

No, the EFL.

If I have this right, the EFL permitted DC to sign Bruce and his two costly assistants. But when they left, and £2 compensation was added to the pot, the EFL advised DC that he can only hire a manager without coaching staff?

Just now, Gnarwolf said:

Chairman useless, fans who claim they want to make a difference useless, I'm quickly losing interest in the club and just the sport as a whole, such a shame.

I think that's a bit unfair.

Each of the attendee's went off the back of their 'own' concerns or questions they want to be answered. DC (from what I understand) tends to dominate the proceedings when he talks so there isn't always the opportunity or time to ask certain questions.

You could always email the club yourself and it would be forwarded onto the chairman, whatever you may think of him, he certainly adopts an open door policy when it comes to meeting fans - what follows might be completely bonkers, but he would meet you.