Our main Achilles heel is...

....for me, being unable to play forwards, out from the back with any conviction.

The 2nd and 3rd goals were prime examples of this;

The 2nd started with us having the ball well in their half, on the left wing.

The ball goes backwards to Borner who could have passed forward but chose to go square to Kieren Lee.

He goes square again and plays a poor short pass to Lees who dawdles and loses it.

The 3rd is pretty similar except that Fox (possibly our best forward passer at the present) plays a decent ball up the line to Harris.

Again, no conviction to turn and go forward so he passes, aimlessly, in between the defence and midfield and the ball is lost.

The thing is, we seem to have been totally sussed when the ball is being passed from side to side at the back.

Teams are just waiting for a mistake, or for the ball to go back to Dawson and then long, where, they inevitably win it.

Too many times it goes to the full-back, being pushed down the wing, then back, then square across, then back again.

On Wednesday night, against Charlton, the signs were good that we were becoming a bit more positive again, distribution wise.

Even Tom Lees was ok in this respect (although I think he may have got away with a similar situation, as did Borner).

The answer (not 42!) is to hit the forwards feet with an early pass, or at least the midfield two with a simple pass, then work forward from that.

The lack of movement in forward positions doesn't help but if they make runs then don't receive the ball, they'll feel they're wasting their time.

The one forward we did have who could make room for himself to receive an early pass from the back was Gary Hooper - he is sorely missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

on our day (although to infrequent lately )We are a good attacking team , what went wrong , is it tactics ,the loss of the midfield or what else , truth is this is all on Monks watch , 

we’ve scored the most away goals under monk 

I'm not sure it's so much an inability, just a reluctance to.

Just look at the difference in our passing in the 2nd half, compared to the 1st.

In the 2nd half, our first intention is to pass forward, and if we can't, we keep it. 

In the 1st half, the exact opposite. Too many players taking the easy option. 

It's set the tempo and the mentality for the game. 

Edited by frastheowl

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I'm not sure it's so much an inability, just a reluctance to.

Just look at the difference in our passing in the 2nd half, compared to the 1st.

In the 2nd half, our first intention is to pass forward, and if we can't, we keep it. 

In the 1st half, the exact opposite. Too many players taking the easy option. 

It's set the tempo and the mentality for the game. 

I agree, it's not an inability, we've seen them play well plenty of times, passing to feet, making forward runs and looking for a lay-off.

They were doing it on Wednesday night and in the 2nd half yesterday, especially Josh Windass.

At the start of the season, even Tom Lees was playing well and looking positive.

I don't know whether Monk's insistence on one up front hampered things or what, but it's not been good enough for a long while.

What does my nut in is Bannan. A defender has the ball in our half, Bannan runs towars him demanding the ball. The defender passes it to him only for Bannan to pass it straight back to him and then turn around and run forward without a backard glance. The defender then makes the pass he was originally going to make.

WTF is that all about. It happens nearly every time we have the ball in defensive positions.

If Bannan played the ball up field then fine but he doesn't. It takes a few seconds but by that time the opposition have got back into position and are waiting for our next move.

Just stop it.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, prowl said:

What does my nut in is Bannan. A defender has the ball in our half, Bannan runs towars him demanding the ball. The defender passes it to him only for Bannan to pass it straight back to him and then turn around and run forward without a backard glance. The defender then makes the pass he was originally going to make.

WTF is that all about. It happens nearly every time we have the ball in defensive positions.

If Bannan played the ball up field then fine but he doesn't. It takes a few seconds but by that time the opposition have got back into position and are waiting for our next move.

Just stop it.

This!!!! Makes him look like a good possession and pass rate. 
He would be one of the first out of the door in the Summer for me. 

• Thanks 1

Its all a bit of a Greek tragedy at the minute anyhow...

Got The sword of Damoclese the EFL are holding above our heads...

The fans feel like that bloke pushing a boulder up an hill only to watch it roll down again, just before the top...

Who was the one who had an Eagle eat his Liver...Only for it to grow back and the Eagle ate it again?...

We had Hector...That should have been a warning ...

Its all ominous

We even had the 4 pigeons of the apocalypse grazin' on the turf on saturday...Its all portents 

I honestly don't think 2 golden Elephants can cope with the weight of doomladen phrophetic gloomery at the minute....

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Its all a bit of a Greek tragedy at the minute anyhow...

Got The sword of Damoclese the EFL are holding above our heads...

The fans feel like that bloke pushing a boulder up an hill only to watch it roll down again, just before the top...

Who was the one who had an Eagle eat his Liver...Only for it to grow back and the Eagle ate it again?...

We had Hector...That should have been a warning ...

Its all ominous

We even had the 4 pigeons of the apocalypse grazin' on the turf on saturday...Its all portents 

I honestly don't think 2 golden Elephants can cope with the weight of doomladen phrophetic gloomery at the minute....

You've missed out that we're sh*t..

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, prowl said:

Just stop it.

I rate Bannan, but it is really, really annoying when he does this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You've missed out that we're sh*t..

Yes..I know Costello...I'm trying to make following Wednesday into something akin to historical literature...to garner a more sort of understanding fanbase.

Just simply sayin' "We're Sh *T"..While factually correct doesn't carry the weight of pathos that is involved in the following of this club...

• Haha 1

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Yes..I know Costello...I'm trying to make following Wednesday into something akin to historical literature...to garner a more sort of understanding fanbase.

Just simply sayin' "We're Sh *T"..While factually correct doesn't carry the weight of pathos that is involved in the following of this club...

Yes.. I see that now..soz..

• Haha 1