Championship clubs propose £20 million salary cap.

£20 million would increase the gulf between the championship and the PL. It would effectively turn that championship into league 2 and any non parachute payment club that went up would need an entirely new squad. 

It seems the EFL and the PL have zero interest in working together. The EFL seem incapable of regulating the league and the more I think about it, the more a PL2 makes sense. 

Championship owners should be discussing this possibility. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'd like to see a cap on wages and fees.

But unless it encompasses all English League divisions it won't achieve anything. IMO.

Yup similar to the ticket cap, cheaper for an away ticket in the prem than the championship at some grounds. FA and EFL need to get their heads together.

Just now, Minton said:

So forcibly curb many club's main source of income? Yeah, great idea...

Firstly you are happy for supporters to get ripped off, fair enough, but i personally hate it and thinks its the biggest blight on our game.

Secondly the ticket revenue currently, even with these sickening prices a lot of clubs charge, is still a fraction of the clubs income in the whole scheme of things. 

This wage bill nonsense is neither here or there and will end up solving nothing.

Just like FFP

11 minutes ago, torres said:

Firstly you are happy for supporters to get ripped off, fair enough, but i personally hate it and thinks its the biggest blight on our game.

Secondly the ticket revenue currently, even with these sickening prices a lot of clubs charge, is still a fraction of the clubs income in the whole scheme of things. 

This wage bill nonsense is neither here or there and will end up solving nothing.

Just like FFP

In the premier league, matchday revenues aren't much of their income, hence the away ticket price cap of £25.

From the championship down, ticket sales are a huge part of income. I've posted about this a while back, but even paying £39 a ticket, the proportion of the average weekly wage a ticket costs is actually less than it was in 1969.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vulva said:

The only thing that will sort the money issue out is stronger penalties. Break the rules, you get relegated. Simple really. 

Totally agree

It should always have been like this.

Those clubs that have got into admin make me sick, pay a small points penalty (if anything at all) then back to start a fresh

Rotherham 

Leicester  

Southampton  

Leeds

Only shame is that its the fans that get it in the neck due to the ineptitude of the boards 

As we are finding out 

11 minutes ago, Minton said:

In the premier league, matchday revenues aren't much of their income, hence the away ticket price cap of £25.

From the championship down, ticket sales are a huge part of income. I've posted about this a while back, but even paying £39 a ticket, the proportion of the average weekly wage a ticket costs is actually less than it was in 1969.

I find that hard to believe.

30 minutes ago, cowl said:

I find that hard to believe.

I was close. 

1969 average wage was £1,074 (£16,350) ticket cost 10 shillings, £6.49 now. Works out as 0.04%.

2018 average wage is £28,677, ticket £39. Works out as 0.14%.

So 0.10% increase. That is peanuts, costing you £29 a year more than 1969. Hardly ripping off the fans is it?

• Thanks 1

Just now, andytrig said:

Before restricting spending the EFL should be renegotiating a better deal with Sky or another provider.

The gulf is caused by the disparity between what the Premier league clubs get and the pittance given to EFL clubs.

Blame the rest of the world, not Sky. The demand for watching the PL across the world is huge, not so much for the EFL. 

49 minutes ago, torres said:

Totally agree

It should always have been like this.

Those clubs that have got into admin make me sick, pay a small points penalty (if anything at all) then back to start a fresh

Rotherham 

Leicester  

Southampton  

Leeds

Only shame is that its the fans that get it in the neck due to the ineptitude of the boards 

As we are finding out 

Palace, at least twice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Minton said:

I was close.

1969 average wage was £1,074 (£16,350) ticket cost 10 shillings, £6.49 now. Works out as 0.04%.

2018 average wage is £28,677, ticket £39. Works out as 0.14%.

So 0.10% increase. That is peanuts, costing you £29 a year more than 1969. Hardly ripping off the fans is it?

You're way out.

As a proportion of the average wage, if your inputs are correct, ticket prices are about 3 times as expensive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cowl said:

You're way out.

As a proportion of the average wage, if your inputs are correct, ticket prices are about 3 times as expensive.

Yes.

10 bob as a proportion of the weekly wage of around £20 is just under 2.5% and £39 is just over 7% of the current average weekly wage of £550.

Always assuming that the yearly averages in Minton's post are correct of course.

It would be interesting to see what these figures would be as a % of disposable income.

Edited by the mighty wednesday
  • Like 1

On 28/02/2020 at 12:42, SiJ said:

My own view is that the situation is too far gone. 

In principal, the idea of a wage cap is a sound one, but it needed to be utilised a lot sooner than it has been. 

The PL is far too much of a cash cow for them to even consider the idea of a salary cap, certainly one which would have a semblance of parity with that of the Championship. 

As for this notion: 

"Players would either have to accept £20K a week in the Championship, find a club abroad that would pay them more or sit it out on their current contract."

Not going to happen. Players very rarely, if ever, just sit out their contracts. You could end up in a scenario where you have an abundance of disgruntled players. 

It happens all the time!

Players regularly refuse to move for lower wages than they are on even if they are not playing as often as they should.

Gareth Bale being the most high profile example currently.

if somebody matches his wages he’ll move, if they won’t he’ll sit out his contract.

Hinchcliffe, Jonk, Donnelly, O’Donnell, Abdi, Rhodes all being examples at Wednesday. They would/will move for the same money but not for a pay cut. Hence they stay where they are because they are overpaid.

And how can a player be disgruntled because nobody will pay them what they are not worth? It would be their choice, stick with the current contract  And try and get back in the team or take another elsewhere.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

On 28/02/2020 at 12:58, steelcityowlsfan said:

£20 million would increase the gulf between the championship and the PL. It would effectively turn that championship into league 2 and any non parachute payment club that went up would need an entirely new squad. 

It seems the EFL and the PL have zero interest in working together. The EFL seem incapable of regulating the league and the more I think about it, the more a PL2 makes sense. 

Championship owners should be discussing this possibility. 

Nail on head. Why would any business owner want a rule to stop them growing and getting to the PL, ok I know some manage it on small budgets but overall those who spend the most do better.

Think we need DC to talk to some like minded chairman about PL2. 

• Thanks 1

So basically they are proposing that if in theory a team has a 22 man squad each player will earn just short of 17,500 per week not too bad tbf.

On saying that itll give youths a chance they will be on less therefore enabling the off few 20-30k earners 

I do think this ain't a bad idea if and only if they get rid of P&S its literally then down to negotiation skill with quality players etc