Championship clubs propose £20 million salary cap.

3 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Dont see the pigs players complaining,there wage bill wasnt much north of 20M,bet theyve all got clauses in their new contracts saying your wages will revert to championship levels if relegated

They might be an exception to the rule and they will have still increased their wagebill notably this season.

It still doesn't address my point about trying to consistently compete with teams whose wage bill will be 15 times that of the proposed cap.

2 hours ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

A holding company purchases the contracts of the players. Mitigates its losses by selling these on to highest bidder for whatever fee it can get. Premier League eats any remainder, which is what it is doing with relegation payments anyway.

Never work. Too many occasions when the relegated club would lose out. Holding company buys out contract (assuming you're basing this on wages owed over remaining term) for £7.5m and sells them on for £15m.

Don't think the relegated club would be too happy about that. 

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

They might be an exception to the rule and they will have still increased their wagebill notably this season.

It still doesn't address my point about trying to consistently compete with teams whose wage bill will be 15 times that of the proposed cap.

But their not an exception their a blueprint,it can be done.

There wage bill will be significantly in the lower end of the premier league wages table,theyl be in the bottom 7 and their in a prime position to take a champions league spot

Edited by legendaryswan

Lord Snooty’s observation that a wage cap in the EFL but not in the PL presents difficulties is almost certainly correct. And of course he didn’t say presents difficulties, he said wouldn’t work.

But the PL is highly unlikely to ever get a cap, because there is no authority that could impose it on Champions League contenders across Europe.

Still, though many posters have identified problems with a cap in the EFL but not the PL, it is not clear that any of these problems rise to the level of the problems in the current farcical system.  The losses-over-turnover caps with relegation payments have created an absurd situation where it seems that a significant number of fan bases-not just us-are waiting for rulings by secret tribunals about rules violations where neither the rules nor the violations are really disclosed, and the points on the table are of uncertain relevance. The 3 year window component encourages gambling and seemingly leaves a 4 or 5 year overhang when the gamble fails. I get that a cap has problems, but they can’t be as bad as what we have now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Never work. Too many occasions when the relegated club would lose out. Holding company buys out contract (assuming you're basing this on wages owed over remaining term) for £7.5m and sells them on for £15m.

Don't think the relegated club would be too happy about that. 

But nothing would prevent the relegated club from selling for 15 million themselves. The relegation insurance fund would be a resource that the club could use to get under the cap, after whatever maneuvers it makes on its own. It could keep some players, sell some, pay off others. Not an all or nothing thing, or PL ownership of all the players of relegated clubs.

Simple way to solve it is say to your Premier league stars, I want you, I will pay you 200k a week but if we get relegated your contract is null and void. You are welcome to continue with us in the championship but it will be on these terms.

See how hard the divas in the failing premier league teams work after the Christmas break

I blame football agents

Edited by Mystic Neg

Much better than the current system I say.  

You could have something like a fairer parachute system, whereby if you are relegated from the Premier league you have 3 years to get your house in order, whilst at the same time you can’t offer more than say £20k pw in wages for new signings, or something like that. 

20mill is too low. I'm not sure a wage cap will work people will always fing way round it.  but it is a step in the right direction. 

I'd let clubs spend whatever they want but all purchases are upfront, no credit terms. Wages are held in an account that has the funds to pay the full contract to its termination.

• Thanks 1

A lot of people are concerned with how the Premier League would react,  might be worthwhile asking them.

As for a closed shop, I really can't see this happening,  if there was no relegation or the threat of it then it would stagnate, become less interesting for the wider public who pay for the television rights,  this would in turn reduce the audience numbers,  less money for the Clubs. 

There are 2 problems. 

1)

How to bring relegated Clubs into line.

2)

How to survive in the Premiership once promoted. 

3 minutes ago, daleblue said:

A lot of people are concerned with how the Premier League would react,  might be worthwhile asking them.

As for a closed shop, I really can't see this happening,  if there was no relegation or the threat of it then it would stagnate, become less interesting for the wider public who pay for the television rights,  this would in turn reduce the audience numbers,  less money for the Clubs. 

The wider public just want to see the big 6 teams. Most PL TV money now comes from abroad- if they could simply show the big 6 playing each other every week they would be more than happy. 

9 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

The wider public just want to see the big 6 teams. Most PL TV money now comes from abroad- if they could simply show the big 6 playing each other every week they would be more than happy. 

I strongly agree. The Saturday afternoon football as we know it, is long gone already.

The Premier League will never agree to a salary cap. It would make there product inferior and loss them millions of pounds in tv revenues.

Look what happened last time they tried to change something. Transfer window shutting early.  European leagues got a major advantage over us. What's happened now. We have changed it back.

Never happening. And because of that I dont see how the football league can follow with anything sustainable.

The EFL should just let clubs spend what they want. Fans for years have bleated on about the money in the game, and the EFL have tried everything to address the issue and regulate the financial side. What happens then is the billionaires within the game hire very expensive lawyers. 

Let them spend what they want, and then clubs will go bust, and communities will

lose their life football club Then just watch the bleating at the EFL by the fans.