Is this a library

Atmosphere

The away support supplied all the noise from the very beginning in comparison to the rather subdued home fans.

Quote from a London paper on the atmosphere last night at (it’s still Loftus Rd to me).   Its funny because this could easily apply to nearly every single one of our HOME games (even Hull sang it at us!).

As usual our away support was incredibly loud at QPR and it does make you wonder what if any part our fans could actually have in helping the team at home if the away support was replicated at Hillsborough.

It must have an effect on some players and teams. 

1 minute ago, Heeleyowl said:

Atmosphere

The away support supplied all the noise from the very beginning in comparison to the rather subdued home fans.

Quote from a London paper on the atmosphere last night at (it’s still Loftus Rd to me).   Its funny because this could easily apply to nearly every single one of our HOME games (even Hull sang it at us!).

As usual our away support was incredibly loud at QPR and it does make you wonder what if any part our fans could actually have in helping the team at home if the away support was replicated at Hillsborough.

It must have an effect on some players and teams. 

Quite sure it does, could do with all those 3k together when at home. 

Its a totally different dynamic at away matches than it is at home. Three thousand fans all on the same wavelength with a kinda siege mentality. I've been going to Hillsborough since the late sixties and it has changed beyond all recognition. I genuinely believe that the POTG prices have contributed partly to this with hardcore fans choosing to spend their hard earned on away matches. I certainly know of some fans that only attend away matches. For my sins I have my seat in T section on the North, simply because I liked the banter and singing which came from there until a couple of years ago. I look around me now and its the same faces week in and out, people more interested in reading their betting progress on their phones rather than getting into the game. The ridiculous SAG ruling hasn't helped but the decline in atmosphere came well before that. It'll never change at Hillsborough while we have the same 23,000 or so season tickets attending the same old games.

Edited by Justbeanz
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Its a totally different dynamic at away matches than it is at home. Three thousand fans all on the same wavelength with a kinda siege mentality. I've been going to Hillsborough since the late sixties and it has changed beyond all recognition. I genuinely believe that the POTG prices have contributed partly to this with hardcore fans choosing to spend their hard earned on away matches. I certainly know of some fans that only attend away matches. For my sins I have my seat in T section on the North, simply because I liked the banter and singing which came from there until a couple of years ago. I look around me now and its the same faces week in and out, people more interested in reading their betting progress on their phones rather than getting into the game. The ridiculous SAG ruling hasn't helped but the decline in atmosphere came well before that. It'll never change at Hillsborough while we have the same 23,000 or so season tickets attending the same old games.

I moved to the North, away end side, a few seasons back because there was some atmosphere and signing. Very quiet these days.

What I want to know is how Palace went from being a very quiet home support to a cracking atmosphere - they had some kind of ultra section on the Holmesdale stand and it transformed the whole stadium's atmos for the better. Not sure if it would work at S6, though.

14 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I moved to the North, away end side, a few seasons back because there was some atmosphere and signing. Very quiet these days.

What I want to know is how Palace went from being a very quiet home support to a cracking atmosphere - they had some kind of ultra section on the Holmesdale stand and it transformed the whole stadium's atmos for the better. Not sure if it would work at S6, though.

Said in a previous thread that Palace always sounds lively mate. Shows what a bit of forward thinking and organisation can do. Also worth mentioning that Palace, like a few clubs these days allocate a side of the ground to away fans.

Our stadium is plenty big enough to have a designated signing section which has reduced season ticket prices.

Make it cheap enough to encourage the younger ones in there and encourage them to bring flags, banners etc. 

Will never happen though as it would annoy the season ticket holders who have had the same seat for 20 years and won't move. Especially now they have their 15 year season tickets.

Ah well.

To improve the noise and atmosphere, the club should consider the following:

1. POTG

2. Ultras section. I’ve been to a fair few games abroad and those with ultras always seem to have the best atmosphere 

3. Change how we seat away fans. Having them in the same stand as home fans works quite often I know SAG would stop this, but it’s something other clubs have done successfully. Also, I’ve never liked it when one team gets the full Leppings Lane end, it always seems like it helps the away team when they are attacking their own fans. Obviously, Leppings Lane wants rebuilding, ideally with a situation where the away fans got the corner and part of that end and home fans has the rest.

4. Better football

5. I genuinely believe if the club could harness these, they’d get bigger attendances which would pay for the measures being introduced potentially. 

11 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The wolves home support the other night against Liverpool was incredible. Noise seemed to be coming from all around the ground.  

Its mainly what used to be the old south bank. Its just a nice size. Wolves are good with things like this, they knew what they were doing giving the away fans the front side terrace miles from the roof, it killed it for away fans.

An easy win would be to push away fans down to the front of the Lepps away from the amplifier that is the West stand roof - Much harder to address the appalling atmosphere (for the size and alleged fervour of our massive fan base)  in the rest of the ground.  It is unfortunately a library and it’s not solely attributable to what’s happening on the pitch.  Look at Palace they have solid backing EVERY game.

3 minutes ago, Heeleyowl said:

An easy win would be to push away fans down to the front of the Lepps away from the amplifier that is the West stand roof - Much harder to address the appalling atmosphere (for the size and alleged fervour of our massive fan base)  in the rest of the ground.  It is unfortunately a library and it’s not solely attributable to what’s happening on the pitch.  Look at Palace they have solid backing EVERY game.

SAG nightmare nowadays

we can't even exit the ground from different stands,

Their collective heads would exlolde if we were exiting from the same stand

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

3000 huddled together.

The hardcore. Like the KOP used to be. 

Too spread at home. Smatterings all over the ground. 

Should give every one of those hardcore 3-4k away fans free home tickets and sit them all in the middle of the Kop. 

3 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Said in a previous thread that Palace always sounds lively mate. Shows what a bit of forward thinking and organisation can do. Also worth mentioning that Palace, like a few clubs these days allocate a side of the ground to away fans.

I was Palace reporter for the local paper for 5 seasons and it was dead. That was before the ultras thing and it's completely turned it around. Mad!