Do SWFC need a proper captain to lead the team?

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Surely you know of hyperbole and comedic effect?

For the money they receive there shouldn't be player who is not aware of his responsibilities to the club and the fans. 

If they need a strong captain to motivate them then they should be shown the door.  

I'll let you give Monk the bad news!

:image:

The captain is akin to the regimental goat that was used to lead the troops out into battle. All the decisions are made by the manager or are split second decisions on the pitch which the players need to make for themselves. He gets to throw for the choice of ends at the start and that's about it.

Any opinion, good or bad, of the captain will solely be based on how good the team and the manager was at the time. So when we had a good team and a good manager, the captain is no doubt remembered as good (i.e. Mick Lyons under Big Jack, Nigel Pearson under Big Ron). When we had a bad team and a bad manager, the captain is remembered as being bad (i.e. Dean Smith under Chris Turner, Darren Purse under Alan Irvine). And when the team and the manager is a bit meh the captain is remembered as being a bit meh (Peter Atherton under Pleat and Tom Lees right now).

4 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Borner should be our captain 

Not based on Saturday's performance he shouldn't.

I like Borner, I see why he's well thought of with the fans but he's had 2 or 3 absolute stinkers this season

He gets to throw for the choice of ends at the start and that's about it.

Ha! The swear filter changed tøss for throw... I wasn't planning to suggest they have a quick game of nearest the bull for choice of ends, but now I come to think of it, it's not the worst idea.

Edited by Emerson Thome

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Nuhiu should be captain. 

An international regular, long serving and understands the club. Also has the stones to go out there every week with idiots shouting at him from the stands about how crap he is, and still perform.

you need a captain good enough to play ffs

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

The captain is akin to the regimental goat that was used to lead the troops out into battle. All the decisions are made by the manager or are split second decisions on the pitch which the players need to make for themselves. He gets to throw for the choice of ends at the start and that's about it.

Any opinion, good or bad, of the captain will solely be based on how good the team and the manager was at the time. So when we had a good team and a good manager, the captain is no doubt remembered as good (i.e. Mick Lyons under Big Jack, Nigel Pearson under Big Ron). When we had a bad team and a bad manager, the captain is remembered as being bad (i.e. Dean Smith under Chris Turner, Darren Purse under Alan Irvine). And when the team and the manager is a bit meh the captain is remembered as being a bit meh (Peter Atherton under Pleat and Tom Lees right now).

That’s a great analogy

25 minutes ago, brando said:

you need a captain good enough to play ffs

The only automatic picks for the first team are Iorfa, Fox,  Bannan and Fletcher. So if it isn’t one of those 4, then it will be a player who will be in and out of the team. 

we need some bugger who will go round the players and kick their arses out of bed at 2-30 pm on a match day an make sure they

are awake for the 90 plus minit's to  follow at kick off 

Edited by trevdi9

Apologies I meant to say current captains in those PL teams, but I’ve noticed a decline in the last 10 year in terms of what is usually deemed as a “proper captain”.

In the past 10 years there’s been some good captains. I’d agree currently Fernandinho  out of the clubs listed is one of the stronger, maybe Azpilecueta the same. 

In terms of us, I really wouldn’t give it anyone else and I don’t believe anyone could mount a better case than Lees at the moment. Not because I think Lees is great either. 

2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Anybody that remembered the total commitment of players like Mick Lyons and Nigel Pearson will be able to remember how they drove the team on when the going got tough and how they were respected by players and fans alike. The fact that they were still able to play and bossed the opposition as well as their team mates is just one of the reasons we were so succesfull with them in the team. They also both contributed a goal or two which never hurts either, and like Loovens (who was past his best as a player, but a good captain of a mediocre team), they would also encourage the players in the team whose heads might go down a bit more easily. This season we have had at least half a dozen games where a good strong captain shouting the team on would not have hurt and could have earned us a few more points, which is what a good captain can do. We simply dont have one at the moment, but Borner definitely looks the most likely, if he can stat fit long enough unless Monk brings in a player that can do the job? 

Agree we aren't 'nasty' enough. That Cardiff game away from home summed it up for me, the free kick never being a free kick and then the star jumps from Flint. Why none of them backed Dawson up amazes me to be honest.

In terms of the actual captaincy, Tom Lees is a good leader by example but I don't think he's vocal enough. When I say that I don't mean a Tony Adams type, Peter Crouch said on his podcast the other week that that kind of old school captain doesn't really work in the modern game. I think it's just kind of a pandering to the crowd thing at times. I do agree though that when things go wrong we do lack that leadership to put it right which is probably why we haven't come back from many games from being behind with this squad.

8 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Agree we aren't 'nasty' enough. That Cardiff game away from home summed it up for me, the free kick never being a free kick and then the star jumps from Flint. Why none of them backed Dawson up amazes me to be honest.

In terms of the actual captaincy, Tom Lees is a good leader by example but I don't think he's vocal enough. When I say that I don't mean a Tony Adams type, Peter Crouch said on his podcast the other week that that kind of old school captain doesn't really work in the modern game. I think it's just kind of a pandering to the crowd thing at times. I do agree though that when things go wrong we do lack that leadership to put it right which is probably why we haven't come back from many games from being behind with this squad.

Agree with that.

Think Crouch is wrong though. I still believe it's possible to have players on the field that are prepared to lay down the law and demand more from their teammates and we desperately need a couple.

Also, you make a very valid point about not being able to recover from losing positions, which is then reinforced by how many winning positions we've conceded. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Agree with that.

Think Crouch is wrong though. I still believe it's possible to have players on the field that are prepared to lay down the law and demand more from their teammates and we desperately need a couple.

Also, you make a very valid point about not being able to recover from losing positions, which is then reinforced by how many winning positions we've conceded. 

I think the point Crouch was making as that you don't need to b*llock somebody to lay down the law and that younger players don't tend to respond to it as well these days, possibly not a good thing don't get me wrong.

I think the lack of leadership was the main reason (of many) Jos' methods didn't work, something goes wrong let the players work it out. Not going to work if they can't do it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I think the point Crouch was making as that you don't need to b*llock somebody to lay down the law and that younger players don't tend to respond to it as well these days, possibly not a good thing don't get me wrong.

I think the lack of leadership was the main reason (of many) Jos' methods didn't work, something goes wrong let the players work it out. Not going to work if they can't do it.

Down to interpretation I guess. I don't think bo!!ocking anyone is necessarily going to get the best out of them although occasionally it may still be required...... I suppose I'm really talking about having those leaders on the park that are going to maintain standards of application and effort. I feel just having certain characters on the field almost prevents some issues even arising. But, in the event they do, we need people that are prepared to remind others where the expectations are and whats at stake. Like you say, at the moment we seem to just turn the other cheek en-masse.  

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1