Do SWFC need a proper captain to lead the team?

3 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Never replaced Loovens. Lees has never been a captain and wee man is too aggro on the pitch to be a suitable leader. 

It's true. We've eventually replaced him with better defenders but as a captain and leader the huge void left by his departure has never been more evident. 

16 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I think its more than just missing a captain

We lack players with the right mental attitude and fortitude. Ones that will stand up when counted, run through brick walls when needed or that put their heads where it hurts

In terms of the armband, for me its Borner and Hutchinson - no brainer. Tom Lees is like a fecking mouse with the armband and Bannan is too petulant and quick to shout and heckle his own team mates when they make a mistake.

But we need to sign players with more work ethic and with the right mental attitude to approach games. There are times when our players simply give up when the going gets tough .. you need players to keep on fighting right till the end

Hutchinson fits the bill IMHO, but would inevitably miss too many games to be a realistic option .

Dominic Iorfa - assuming we can keep hold of him ?

29 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Hutchinson fits the bill IMHO, but would inevitably miss too many games to be a realistic option .

Dominic Iorfa - assuming we can keep hold of him ?

Potentially in the future, more games under his belt, i can see him encouraging players which is good .. bit more vocal and yeah he fits the bill

One thing i've noticed as well is that there isn't much encouragement throughout the team say when someone fecks up ... Iorfa did it with Urgohide .. but didn't see anyone else geeing others up ... all a bit damp, quiet and meek ..

On 20/01/2020 at 16:43, S72 Owl said:

I think people read too much into the captaincy these days. All the captain does really is decide which end we kick towards. We’ve got a lot of experienced players, and gone are the days of captains like Roy Keane, Nigel Pearson etc 

Absolute hogwash!   A good Captain also assesses the game, for instance if a team gets straight at us in the first 10 minutes and is overpowering us a great Captain will quickly suss out how and why  and change things ie tell players to move positions slightly drop back get wider etc, watch out for their number 7 he's pulling you too wide allowing their 8 to get through a big gap

we can't cover. This is all part of a strong Captains job and most really good teams have one.  We haven't had one since way back when and we are desperate for one NOW.   Believe me they do make a big difference between good teams and average/also rans.....…….. we fall in to the latter category.

49 minutes ago, attyjake said:

Absolute hogwash!   A good Captain also assesses the game, for instance if a team gets straight at us in the first 10 minutes and is overpowering us a great Captain will quickly suss out how and why  and change things ie tell players to move positions slightly drop back get wider etc, watch out for their number 7 he's pulling you too wide allowing their 8 to get through a big gap

we can't cover. This is all part of a strong Captains job and most really good teams have one.  We haven't had one since way back when and we are desperate for one NOW.   Believe me they do make a big difference between good teams and average/also rans.....…….. we fall in to the latter category.

If your captain has to tell you to ‘watch out for there number 7’ there’s something wrong. It’s not the under 11s team. 

11 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

If your captain has to tell you to ‘watch out for there number 7’ there’s something wrong. It’s not the under 11s team. 

Ok maybe not as simple as that but I was just creating a totally random scenario, Sorry most footballers do need telling how to wipe their own arses at times they are really not that bright so yes need somebody to make them understand subtle changes that need making, preferably someone who maybe needs to shout to get their point across!