Do SWFC need a proper captain to lead the team?

Is it though,

we give away fouls, especially in areas we dont want,

so are we soft?

Or are we a hard team giving away fouls?

Answer, we are soft as shiite and have to bring players down to combat our crapness at tackling, ie, Reach.

26 minutes ago, CadTheOwl said:

The supply of "proper captains" has definitely reduced over the past 10 years. There aren't many being churned out anymore. I look at the premier league for example, Man City/Chelsea/Man Utd/Spurs/Arsenal/Everton in my opinion have weak captains.

Obviously us folk do not see player attitudes behind closed doors, but id hazard a guess I would find it difficult to pick someone over Tom Lees.

You need a leader, who can be just that in all areas of the club. On the pitch, in the dressing room, in the community, at training. Sadly for me, Lees doesn't do the first.

Kompany was a very strong leader for City and I wouldn't describe Fernandinho as weak. 

Of the other clubs you mention, most have been in decline without the presence of a decent leader. 

I think people read too much into the captaincy these days. All the captain does really is decide which end we kick towards. We’ve got a lot of experienced players, and gone are the days of captains like Roy Keane, Nigel Pearson etc 

15 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

that could more be a case of bad referees, players making badly timed challenges. We need leaders on the pitch, players that take no crap, not just people that get booked for the sake of it. 

We have been near the top of the foul table all season but much of that seems down to committing daft needless fouls when we are winning rather than being generally assertive/aggressive in the tackle. 

As you say it's not just about committing fouls or getting booked in daft situations, it's about imposing yourselves on the opposition, challenging the decisions of the officials and being constructively critical of team mates and geeing them up at the right time, showing some fight when needed. We have none of this at all. Hutchinson perhaps and he has been a bit better in terms of his needless bookings but his all round play has not been good enough to warrant a regular place in the team. 

2 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

I think people read too much into the captaincy these days. All the captain does really is decide which end we kick towards. We’ve got a lot of experienced players, and gone are the days of captains like Roy Keane, Nigel Pearson etc 

Agreed, I do think the most vocal should have the band which the likes of Bannan and Hutch do. Blaming the cluelessness of some our performances on lack of leadership is clutching at straws. They should know their roles individually.

2 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

That's perhaps the case in teams who have confidence in abundance and lead by example with the team all pulling in the same direction. We are meek and mild and seem sorely lacking in a roll the sleeves up attitude when it is needed. 

27 minutes ago, torres said:

If we had a younger squad the value of a good captain would be more material 

We have a squad of supposed experienced footballers 

Most of the players are what they are now - not much is going to change it 

Youre right. Monks struggling like **** to change it.

We don't need a captain, we need to build a new team of captains.

1 person can't drag us up. We need a group of players who would demand the best from the rest.

Roy Keane wasn't the only leader at Man U, Terry wasn't the only leader at Chelsea.

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We have been near the top of the foul table all season but much of that seems down to committing daft needless fouls when we are winning rather than being generally assertive/aggressive in the tackle. 

As you say it's not just about committing fouls or getting booked in daft situations, it's about imposing yourselves on the opposition, challenging the decisions of the officials and being constructively critical of team mates and geeing them up at the right time, showing some fight when needed. We have none of this at all. Hutchinson perhaps and he has been a bit better in terms of his needless bookings but his all round play has not been good enough to warrant a regular place in the team. 

100% agree with this. 

I think its more than just missing a captain

We lack players with the right mental attitude and fortitude. Ones that will stand up when counted, run through brick walls when needed or that put their heads where it hurts

In terms of the armband, for me its Borner and Hutchinson - no brainer. Tom Lees is like a fecking mouse with the armband and Bannan is too petulant and quick to shout and heckle his own team mates when they make a mistake.

But we need to sign players with more work ethic and with the right mental attitude to approach games. There are times when our players simply give up when the going gets tough .. you need players to keep on fighting right till the end

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Blimey, so our amazing captains of the past were just throw checkers and clappers?

Sorry mate, but if you have ever played, or watched football, surely you would know the importance of having a strong leader on the pitch?

Surely you know of hyperbole and comedic effect?

For the money they receive there shouldn't be player who is not aware of his responsibilities to the club and the fans. 

If they need a strong captain to motivate them then they should be shown the door.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwellOwl said:

Agreed, I do think the most vocal should have the band which the likes of Bannan and Hutch do. Blaming the cluelessness of some our performances on lack of leadership is clutching at straws. They should know their roles individually.

Exactly why you need a strong vocal captain, to remind players of what they are supposed to be doing?

Pretty much the same set of players managed to beat l**ds, so when fid they become clueless?

Got slated for it but lees is worse captain I can remember at Wednesday

Where was he with the sending off on Saturday or when palmer was taken out 

Seen better leaders at gregs 

We need a proper leader who won't let heads drop and gets the players and fans going when things aren't going our way and tell bannan to stfu when he's having a go at someone for his f#ckup