Bazza Bannan

3 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Most assists of ANY championship player in 2019(calendar year ) yet he’s the problem apparently lol

forward line and full backs are the main areas for me! Fox has improved massively but is he a quality full back , answer is no , best he will ever be is solid and dependable , this applies to Palmer too, forward line I think we all know it’s embarrassingly bad and needs a massive re think

the only area in the team what I wouldn't change is centre defence the rest of the team/squad needs huge changes . like a lot have said its no longer fun going to home games and it aint been for 3-4 years usually quite depressing and boring. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

your skim reading this thread fella, I don’t think anyone is questioning his ability, although the stats you mention I would like to think if I took every throw in freekick and corner for a team I would have a fair few assists too lol 

read back though, it’s about where we are playing him or where he is deciding to play if it’s his choice. 

Every single team generally has the same free kick and corner taker so clearly his delivery is better than most in the league 

appreciate he plays too far back (especially at home ) but feel we have far bigger issues to talk about than bazza

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

the only area in the team what I wouldn't change is centre defence the rest of the team/squad needs huge changes . like a lot have said its no longer fun going to home games and it aint been for 3-4 years usually quite depressing and boring. 

Agree mate , based on 11 yesterday I would summarise the team below

Dawson - fairly young (granted)but doesn’t always aspire with confidence with kicking and commanding of area

fox - improved massively however I ask the question is he top level, you look at the best left backs in this league (bryan , Dallas , gibbs, Rico Henry ) all attack minded which fox lacks. The best fox will be is solid.

iorfa- been immense generally , still someone’s has a mistake Or looks like he could make one ,but usually class , no issues 

borner - as above , generally immense and been a top signing , no issues 

palmer - similar to box in terms of best he will be is solid , top right backs in this league ( Ayling , Dalsgaard, furlong , matty cash) Palmer not in same league

murphy- zero bottle , odd flash of goood work but not enough and certainly not a team player that’s got the attitude and mentality over a 46 game long haul 

bannan- does play too far back and everything seems to have to go through him but usually our main man in midfield , no issues 

luongo - settled In OK could do more and expect more to come but generally no issues 

lee- think his best days may have gone , contributed no goals this season and he’s been a great servant but think this could be his last year 

reach - doesn’t offer enough for me but if we keep him on the left wing and don’t try to over complicate it by thinking he can play central or wide right then think he could start to get a few more assists and goals (as per assist at Leeds and goal at Brighton ) playing on the left 

Winnall- not good enough for me , he’s has enough starts and chances to have more goals and contributions 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

yeah but this is part of what I and apparently a lot of others think is the problem, he wants to take freekicks even deep back in his own half, said it before he’s the over eager school kid who wants the ball 100% of the time. 

by no means will I ever question his ability, he is a great player but as you say the deep role is no go for him. But for the amount of set pieces he takes I would expect he would get more assists. I don’t think he should take all our corners and freekicks but there you go.

keep saying this but I honestly don’t think he trusts the other players which is why he wants the ball and comes deep and why he wants every set piece. 
I also understand his thinking and partly agree but him doing the above doesn’t help the team and leaves him not doing his own job as effective. 

let’s not pretend here although he’s shown moments of brilliance this season ( as he always does) I would say this is his worst season so far since we signed him in terms of his match to match consistency.  Obv that’s just my view 

agree with a lot of that , do understand everything goes through him so by the law of averages he’s going to get more assists than most due to the sheer amount of time he has the ball. 

I would say though if you go through our starting 11 as who you would say yep he’s good enough for a starting 11 bazza is one of them. I think if we get better players around him and upfront it will help him to play higher . Problem is for our midfielders they have no Out ball, they can’t clip it around the corner for a striker because we have no pacey forward to get in behind

There's no reason why Bannan cant pick the ball up deep and then join in in the oppositions last third.

We're only talking about him running 50 yards. Take him about 6/7 seconds to cover that jogging. Not sure we're that lightening fast with the ball that he can't get involved again.

Does my nut in this that if he picks the ball up 35 yards from our goal he's apparently frozen out of that passage of play. It's simply not true.

People are missing the point entirely on Bannan, and are taking it as criticism when no one is saying that

Him playing in our penalty box is a huge issue. People can say this is the least of our problems, but this is absolutely the main problem we face. This is because we won’t create anything with him in there.

We don’t create anything = we don’t score goals. We don’t score goals = we don’t win football matches.

He really is that important to the team. We could have the best midfielder in the world playing for us, but if he’s playing in the completely wrong position (and having to carry our duties which aren’t his speciality) then they become obsolete.

Let me confirm AGAIN, no one is criticising Bannan’s ability 

25 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

People are missing the point entirely on Bannan, and are taking it as criticism when no one is saying that

Him playing in our penalty box is a huge issue. People can say this is the least of our problems, but this is absolutely the main problem we face. This is because we won’t create anything with him in there.

We don’t create anything = we don’t score goals. We don’t score goals = we don’t win football matches.

He really is that important to the team. We could have the best midfielder in the world playing for us, but if he’s playing in the completely wrong position (and having to carry our duties which aren’t his speciality) then they become obsolete.

Let me confirm AGAIN, no one is criticising Bannan’s ability 

Bannan only hovers around the oppositions box when we have a sustained period of pressure. Unfortunately we don't have the players to dominate teams, and they are more comfortable soaking up pressure then breaking occasionally. This means BB must drop deeper to pick the ball up when we are in possession. He then looks for an outlet in front of him... Where are the offensive midfielders? Where are the forwards? Where are the overlapping full backs? We are so static at times, it's like the refs blown his whistle for a stoppage. 

I don't know what the answer is TBH - we clearly need new and better players - I agree with the earlier post that from yesterday, the new full back, Fox, Murphy, Lee and Winnall wouldn't get a game - certainly in my team. Reach is a fair weather player IMO and goes missing when the going is tuff. Add Nuihu and Hutch as first half and half time replacements and you question where is the personnel that can change a game?

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

Bannan only hovers around the oppositions box when we have a sustained period of pressure. Unfortunately we don't have the players to dominate teams, and they are more comfortable soaking up pressure then breaking occasionally. This means BB must drop deeper to pick the ball up when we are in possession. He then looks for an outlet in front of him... Where are the offensive midfielders? Where are the forwards? Where are the overlapping full backs? We are so static at times, it's like the refs blown his whistle for a stoppage. 

I don't know what the answer is TBH - we clearly need new and better players - I agree with the earlier post that from yesterday, the new full back, Fox, Murphy, Lee and Winnall wouldn't get a game - certainly in my team. Reach is a fair weather player IMO and goes missing when the going is tuff. Add Nuihu and Hutch as first half and half time replacements and you question where is the personnel that can change a game?

When he drops deep his only outlet is the long ball over the top, which doesn’t play to our strengths. Borner and Iorfa can both carry the ball out and should be doing so more often to allow Bannan to take up a more attacking position. 

22 minutes ago, Animis said:

This. The way we play we are content to sit back and soak up pressure. This doesn’t really suit Bannan. We saw the same under Jos.

Its negative but it’s a style of play which is doing ok for us so far in my opinion. 

14 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

You did...You said his only contribution was a penalty

I never said his only contribution was a penalty 

Im wondering when (as supposedly one of best players) he’s going to put on a performance when our backs are against the wall 

You pointed out Bristol ( when he scored the winner) 

Dont get me wrong I like Bannan, but he’s not irreplaceable like many make out

45 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

When he drops deep his only outlet is the long ball over the top, which doesn’t play to our strengths. Borner and Iorfa can both carry the ball out and should be doing so more often to allow Bannan to take up a more attacking position. 

This all day long, what I've been saying for ages is that the centre halves have the ability to push forward, but no it has to be taken off their toes by BB, by definition this weakens our mid field. I can't see any manager suggesting that's the right way to play which is why I say Bannan does what he wants and gets away with it because of the odd bit of brilliance maybe. I'm not sure. Lets not forget that he didn't paly against Brighton and I thought that was a far better TEAM performance than against Leeds.

Unless we can get players of the standard of Hooper, Lee and FF back in their prime, Joao and Wallace then Bannan is a busted flush. 

If sides go man to man on BB / double up on him  then it should create gaps elsewhere for us (when we've got 11 on the pitch) but instead of someone else exploiting the gaps BB just drops deeper and deeper leaving no option other than the glory ball that so rarely comes off.  I've no idea if he is following Monk's instructions in going deep (it was the same under Bruce, Jos & CC) or just doesn't trust his fellow players - either way it just makes us so easy to play against.  When he drops deep his markers don't need to follow and so flood midfield - meaning the only ball on for him is the hollywood 60 yarder to cut them out.  If he was playing higher up the pitch he could drift wide and create space for others. 

I've genuinely no idea whether he is too selfish for this or just doesn't trust the rest of the team (which amounts to the same thing really) either way it needs to change if we are to get anything out of the games against teams who come with a plan to stop him.      

We play better without bannan 

The guy is so selfish with the ball and quick to point the blame

I wouldn't mind if he was hitting double figures but the guy has 1 goal all season which was a penalty

The most overrated player I can remember 

We go through this discussion most seasons.

He needs dropping.

After the Brighton game, Monk dropped Pelepessy. That's was the wrong call. He should have stuck with the same 3 midfield. I know most will disagree, but he's actually a good disciplined defensive midfielder. (When allowed by his partner to actually play that role).

Since Carlos left, we play better as a team without him and that's the truth.

Carlos often played him as a wide man, not a main central midfielder. Our Central midfield was usually Lee and Hutch/Lopez. At this point Lee was so good we were effectively playing with 12 men, he was everywhere. 

Carlos used Bannan in the centre with Jones in his final (half) season. This is when everyone was injured and Abdi, who I'm sure was brought in to challenge Lee, wasn't up to the job, for whatever reason.

Bruce also tried Bannan wide left. It didn't work in that particular game so he brought him back in midfield. But he must have thought something wasn't right.

Saturday's thrashing of a result has to be looked at as a blessing in disguise.  We started the game with 10 men as Winnall is not championship level and is incapable of doing the basics. Not his fault, I do believe he has the intention of trying.

We then went down to effectively 9 men with the sending off of Luongo. 

With Bananan playing as a centre back that result was inevitable.

This result has come at a good time. It tells the chairman we need 3 new attacking players before the end of January and it tells Monk he needs to play players who are capable of playing to his system. Thus drop Bannan to the bench.

Further to the above I would make Borner captain for the rest of the season.

• Like 1