Bazza Bannan

I have said many times that a lot of our problems lay fairly and squarely at Bannan, because he does drop too deep, which causes an imbalance in midfield, inviting pressure.

He surely cannot be instructed to play like this. If he is choosing to do so of his own volition, then he needs dropping. I get that he is the creator in midfield, but you cannot create standing 5 yards from your centre back.

This isn't a knee jerk reply. I do believe he is a good player, but he needs to be 20 yards further up the pitch, where his creative abilities would suit us much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

Jesus Christ out of everyone today Bannan is the last to deserve flack

Why?

he was as bad as everyone else, why do you think and what did he do to be the last to deserve flack?

in fact as Captain it could easily be argued that he should have got a grip of things when it was obvious that the game plan wasn’t working and changed it rather than having to wait for Monk to do so at half time

Edited by Ian

6 hours ago, The Horse said:

Iorfa would probably be immense in midfield.

Nothing much else is working. Why don't we give it a go for a game or two. Can't be any worse than today.

That’s what I assumed was happening when I saw Tom Lees warming up immediately after Luongo’s red. Nuhiu straight swap for Winnall was just rearranging the deckchairs on Titanic.

Bazza is far more effective as a player playing outside the opposition box than outside our own box.  

That's where he excels.  How often do we see Bazza make those one twos forward darting into the box? Or those clever out swinging crosses from the left? 

There was a 4 page thread on Bannan after last week's win against Leeds on about his vision, how he makes us tick, liking him to Sheridan etc... Fast forward 1 week and we should sell, sick of him, never gets us out of trouble etc... 

You can't sell bannan unless you replace him with better and have a bit of spare change. 

Remember where we are, this isn't fantasy epl football. 

To wholeheartedly say that he's totally responsible for yesterday is mental, we had another 13 players contribute to that as well. 

One of 2 things are the issue here. Either Monk is at fault telling him to play so deep or Bannan isn’t playing to instruction. If it’s the former Bannan will get the “monk” on and not perform to the best of his ability and if it’s the latter then Monk needs to have a serious word with him or drop him. When he has not played I think our stats are pretty positive

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Watching Bannan play deep and the entire squad basically look to pass to Bannan for every forward play is frustrating. I’ve seen them pass it all the way back just so Bannan can have it. 

Tbf, that seemed to be our only tactic 

That, or pass it all the way back to Dawson to hoof it.

Outside of Bannan, there is not a single player in that team who is willing to take a chance with respect to passing.

It is either sideways or backwards.

9 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

in the first half last week against Leeds he did the same and we got smashed u til he moved further up field. 
and ri se and repeat pretty much any time he sits deep. 

it’s not one game in isolation is it? Every time he sits deep we look poo, it’s not his role, he shouldn’t be anywhere near that deep. 

Is your letter 'n' being temperamental or do you have a twitchy finger? 

If you compare our midfield with Blackburn’s would you swap any of theirs and play Baz? 

He takes floaty free kicks and corners. Downing gave him a masterclass in both areas.

It’s not Baz’s fault and in a top midfield he ‘could’ be a wizard, but if he’s marked out of the game (not hard to do) then we’re done. Long ball doesn’t work for us as we don’t have anyone to hold it up. 

10 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Here we go. He sat deep today because we had 10 men. The entire game plan went out the window.

Who was moaning last week with Bannan’s performance in a midfield three? 
No one. 

I was.

He was at the base of our midfield triangle for 75 minutes, then got moved further forward in the triangle... then we scored two goals. Fair enough, we kept it at 0-0 for 75 minutes versus Leeds, but we never rarely looked threatening from open play during that time. Bannan at the base of our midfield trio will never, ever make us a cohesive attacking threat. He likes to come deep to collect the ball at the best of times... at that base he comes deeper than our entire back line.

Lost track of the number of times yesterday I saw he and Börner interchange passes, Börner get bored and step forward 5/10 yards, look for an out ball only to find Bannan occupying his LCB spot and every other búgger 40 yards away from him waiting for one of those Bannan pings/second ball wins. We're clueless on how to pass through the lines, which is no good when you have one 5'10'' striker to aim at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I was.

He was at the base of our midfield triangle for 75 minutes, then got moved further forward in the triangle... then we scored two goals. Fair enough, we kept it at 0-0 for 75 minutes versus Leeds, but we never rarely looked threatening from open play during that time. Bannan at the base of our midfield trio will never, ever make us a cohesive attacking threat. He likes to come deep to collect the ball at the best of times... at that base he comes deeper than our entire back line.

Lost track of the number of times yesterday I saw he and Börner interchange passes, Börner get bored and step forward 5/10 yards, look for an out ball only to find Bannan occupying his LCB spot and every other búgger 40 yards away from him waiting for one of those Bannan pings/second ball wins. We're clueless on how to pass through the lines, which is no good when you have one 5'10'' striker to aim at.

You weren’t the only one bemoaning fact we are/were playing our most creative player as a defensive mid and that often Borner has to take responsibility both to bring the ball out and to step into midfield and make a tackle.

Bannan is great at certain things but his other limitations means other players end up doing the work of two men. 

We can’t keep making excuses for our star man. Sometimes he has a poor game, And when he does, we lose. Yesterday he was very poor, only Luongo scores worse than him of our outfield players on whoscored. 

C439421F-A57F-45FE-9453-35756B81388A.thumb.jpeg.4a57a2e271054b1b0f8f128b83c053e2.jpeg

10 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

The first member of the squad I’d sell, take £3 million for him in a heartbeat, the sooner he’s away from our midfield the better, neg away but I want a team not every movement going through one man. 

you know your not only one whats saying this me and lad next to me have been saying this for ages . he is by a mile the most overrated player in championship history , sky think he is god  . he scores an average of 1 goal per season even though he takes free kicks etc ,his corner taking quite often is woeful , he easily gets bullied been so small , and plays so deep sometimes its unreal . he is far from undroppable . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

you know your not only one whats saying this me and lad next to me have been saying this for ages . he is by a mile the most overrated player in championship history , sky think he is god  . he scores an average of 1 goal per season even though he takes free kicks etc ,his corner taking quite often is woeful , he easily gets bullied been so small , and plays so deep sometimes its unreal . he is far from undroppable . 

I think if other clubs have watched him an few times they will be reluctant to bid, who would take a chance on him ruining their team structure. Most teams have a work ethic, their midfielders are not allowed to withdraw from combat when the opposition attack.

• Like 1

Most assists of ANY championship player in 2019(calendar year ) yet he’s the problem apparently lol , 

forward line and full backs are the main areas for me! Fox has improved massively but is he a quality full back , answer is no , best he will ever be is solid and dependable , this applies to Palmer too, forward line I think we all know it’s embarrassingly bad and needs a massive re think