Manuel Hidalgo

1 hour ago, malek said:

Yes, Hidalgo played for 3'rd tire Italian dide while he failed to make sing appereance in League One for poor Wimbledon side.

Hidalgo is a low risk gamble that I'm happy for us to take.

No arguments from me bud, I totally agree if you can take a few of this sort of player and 1 out of 5 works out to come good it still makes sense. 

There's plenty on here and I'm one of them advocating how teams like Brentford and Norwich pick up these young players and unearth real gems, but what we forget is there's probably 4/5 other young players that weren't quite as good for every one of them. 

It's a numbers game. 

You need to be signing three or four talented prospects with the hope that one or two progress to the first team. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

We have money to spend but can't spend much of it because of P&S. If we do spend a fair bit in January, it would show Chansiri is confident we are ok with the sale of the ground. If not it may indicate he expects the charge to be upheld.

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

At this point I am thinking of looking in the conference for any players as it would appear we are going very very cheap instead of signing the players we need.

Wickham would have been a good replacement for Fletcher as long as he stays fit, Chong from Man Utd would have been good for the right wing and central midfield someone such as Maddison (can also play on the wing) or Jonathon Kodija both can play central and out wide but it doesn't look like we have any money to spend on anyone until we sell or loan out more players.

lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

No arguments from me bud, I totally agree if you can take a few of this sort of player and 1 out of 5 works out to come good it still makes sense. 

There's plenty on here and I'm one of them advocating how teams like Brentford and Norwich pick up these young players and unearth real gems, but what we forget is there's probably 4/5 other young players that weren't quite as good for every one of them. 

It's a numbers game. 

The reason they unearth these gems is because they play them and develop them. Not replace them with a hasbeen at the first opportunity. We play and develop the likes of Urhoghide then in a few seasons we could be in the same boat. 

Edited by pazowl55

9 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

At the #swfc press conference, Garry Monk says new signing Manuel Hidalgo has come in to develop with U23s but has impressed with work rate since trial period. Says the club are a bit further down the line with a few other targets

A bit further down the line with a few targets? For the U23s

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The reason they unearth these gems is because they play them and develop them. Not replace them with a hasbeen at the first opportunity. We play and develop the likes of Urhoghide then in a few seasons we could be in the same boat. 

We won the under 18 league two season on the trot but none of the team seem to be developed from that level into the under 23's then into the first team.

We should be finding a way to develop home grown players and make them into first team players, maybe only 1 in 5 might make it but look at the few successes we have had Dawson a first team keeper saving us £3-5m in not having to replace Westwood. Wildsmith, Penney other players wo could still make it from Sheffield routes.  

I am all for youth but develop our own players.

Not to mention when players don't quite make the grade we can sell them on and bring finance into the club.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

The reason they unearth these gems is because they play them and develop them. Not replace them with a hasbeen at the first opportunity. We play and develop Urhoghide then in a few season we could be in the same boat. 

The problem with playing and developing them is getting it right. 

We played 4 young players regularly under jos. 

It wasn't great for Dawson at the time getting panned every week, just becouse he wasn't fans darling Westwood , but I think it has really helped him since he's come back in this season. 

Thornilly, came in had a few hit and miss games and was beginning to show the quality needed, but has hardly kicked a ball this year. 

Baker, simply out of his depth and wasn't ready for the first team. Going/gone to Newport hasn't he now? 

Penney looked really bright and the best of the bunch, but when your messing them around playing young players in unfamiliar positions it can do more harm than good, as it did and he lost his way a bit. 

It's OK developing and playing these youngsters, but it has to be done under the right circumstances and conditions for them to improve otherwise it can be more detrimental. 

For me we need to start getting these kids out on loan and approaching the chesterfields and worksops actively to give them game time. 

• Like 2

Just now, room0035 said:

We won the under 18 league two season on the trot but none of the team seem to be developed from that level into the under 23's then into the first team.

We should be finding a way to develop home grown players and make them into first team players, maybe only 1 in 5 might make it but look at the few successes we have had Dawson a first team keeper saving us £3-5m in not having to replace Westwood. Wildsmith, Penney other players wo could still make it from Sheffield routes.  

I am all for youth but develop our own players.

Not to mention when players don't quite make the grade we can sell them on and bring finance into the club.

Problem is when Jos tried this some were just proved to not be good enough.

Think if there is a genuine talent there then they will break through. but we gotta be consistant and play them to develop them. Love the fact that Monk has said I got a real talent here in Urhoghide. On ya bike Odubajo. Lets develop Urhoghide give him games and try turn him into a star, rather than persist with an average defender on Odubajo.

1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

His track record is light years ahead of Hidalgo. 

It's rarely about track record at his age.

The lad has raw talent. In that vidoe he's near the corner with about 5 players trying to get the ball off him. They can't, he beats them all several times before he gets the ball to another player on his team. We have no idea of the level of the players against him but it indicates he has great ball control but little 'sense'. If we can train the sense into him without spoiling his talent he could be great.

He might be a maverick who just has party tricks and won't learn the basics, we don't know. That's why we've had him in for a month or so to see if we think he can learn. Monk and the coaches think so. Let's trust their judgement, they've seen him in training, we haven't.

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

The problem with playing and developing them is getting it right. 

We played 4 young players regularly under jos. 

It wasn't great for Dawson at the time getting panned every week, just becouse he wasn't fans darling Westwood , but I think it has really helped him since he's come back in this season. 

Thornilly, came in had a few hit and miss games and was beginning to show the quality needed, but has hardly kicked a ball this year. 

Baker, simply out of his depth and wasn't ready for the first team. Going/gone to Newport hasn't he now? 

Penney looked really bright and the best of the bunch, but when your messing them around playing young players in unfamiliar positions it can do more harm than good, as it did and he lost his way a bit. 

It's OK developing and playing these youngsters, but it has to be done under the right circumstances and conditions for them to improve otherwise it can be more detrimental. 

For me we need to start getting these kids out on loan and approaching the chesterfields and worksops actively to give them game time. 

Chesterfield that bastion of success not as if they would never take any short cuts with a players progression.

They would chuck a player in the deep end if they thought they could get three points out of it.  There in a desperate state and would kill a trainee if they thought it would help.

Bloody Chesterfield I ask you. 

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

Agreed, and in relation to that I'd like to think we'd consider paying as much of the wages of these players when they're out on loan as possible.

The only risk then is that club's take on a cheap squad filler without being entirely serious about playing them. Maybe a deal structured so that they pay more of the player's wage the less they play them.

Beyond this, I do think the league should scrap the transfer window for loans for players under a certain age altogether. The whole system should be much more fluid. Given that Shaw went out to Chesterfield for a month a couple of months ago this already seems to be the case for non-league, but it needs to be all divisions really.

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Chesterfield that bastion of success not as if they would never take any short cuts with a players progression.

They would chuck a player in the deep end if they thought they could get three points out of it.  There in a desperate state and would kill a trainee if they thought it would help.

Bloody Chesterfield I ask you. 

Haha I was just using them as a local lower league example bud. 

My point is we need to be actively contacting lower league clubs to try and get these kids out on loan at a level we think they are ready for. Baker, penney, Dawson and Thornily would have probably had good seasons for a middle level league one side and helped both confidence and progression rather than been thrown in the deep end in the championship with us. 

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cowl said:

Agreed, and in relation to that I'd like to think we'd consider paying as much of the wages of these players when they're out on loan as possible.

The only risk then is that club's take on a cheap squad filler without being entirely serious about playing them. Maybe a deal structured so that they pay more of the player's wage the less they play them.

Beyond this, I do think the league should scrap the transfer window for loans for players under a certain age altogether. The whole system should be much more fluid. Given that Shaw went out to Chesterfield for a month a couple of months ago this already seems to be the case for non-league, but it needs to be all divisions really.

That's where we have to be very shrewd and clued up on as to what sort of level the players are probably capable of before sending them out. 

As I mentioned Dawson, wildsmith or Thornily would have probably been very good options and first team capeble for a league 1 team. 

6 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Haha I was just using them as a local lower league example bud. 

My point is we need to be actively contacting lower league clubs to try and get these kids out on loan at a level we think they are ready for. Baker, penney, Dawson and Thornily would have probably had good seasons for a middle level league one side and helped both confidence and progression rather than been thrown in the deep end in the championship with us. 

I know exactly what you mean i'm just beena pedantic git.

• Haha 1

Guest LittleG

FFS I just can't believe the amount of moaning over a young lad we've signed for the Dev. squad. We've taken a punt, albeit one that's probably costing next to nothing, on a young lad in the hope that we can develop him. What's wrong with that! Some posters on here seem to think this will be our only signing; get a grip!!

52 minutes ago, room0035 said:

At this point I am thinking of looking in the conference for any players as it would appear we are going very very cheap instead of signing the players we need.

Wickham would have been a good replacement for Fletcher as long as he stays fit, Chong from Man Utd would have been good for the right wing and central midfield someone such as Maddison (can also play on the wing) or Jonathon Kodija both can play central and out wide but it doesn't look like we have any money to spend on anyone until we sell or loan out more players.

How much would that lot cost in terms of loan fees and wages?.

Get real.

37 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Problem is when Jos tried this some were just proved to not be good enough.

Think if there is a genuine talent there then they will break through. but we gotta be consistant and play them to develop them. Love the fact that Monk has said I got a real talent here in Urhoghide. On ya bike Odubajo. Lets develop Urhoghide give him games and try turn him into a star, rather than persist with an average defender on Odubajo.

This seems to be a problem in regards to sentiment, think we need to be a bit more ruthless. Just because they came through our ranks doesn't mean we should keep them. Urhoghide took his chance and flourished, others haven't - how long do we persist before giving up?

Surely it also must be a sign, if lower league teams aren't requesting our youth players for loans.