GERRIT FORRAD!!! It’s good to see some “old fashioned” tactics employed

20 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

We’ve needed a player that comes alive in the box for years... someone who thinks less and gets his shot off. 

My ex divorced me for that, 

said I was selfish. 

• Haha 2

On 14/12/2019 at 23:51, shandypants said:

Two out and out forwards - outdated 

A 5h1t liner striker playing off a target man centre forward - outdated 

The “back to front” long pass - outdated 

Direct football - outdated 

Wide forwards- outdated 

OK, I know that Garry Monk isn’t an out and out Long Ball Merchant but it’s good to see that he’s not a football snob and that he is pragmatic enough to employ more “traditional” tactics alongside new concepts of play. 

And exciting.

Said for ages that we're desperate for someone who can play off Fletcher & put the ball away when it falls to him in the 18 yard box, Forestieri NO, Winnall NO, Nuihiu NO..... imagine if Rhodes picks straight off from Saturday and finds his form of years ago.. Jesus, Mary and Joseph!!!!!!!

On 15/12/2019 at 12:53, Kopparberg said:

We’ve needed a player that comes alive in the box for years... someone who thinks less and gets his shot off. 

Add that to this team and we’ll be pretty good - no pressure Rhodes :ph34r:

100% this.

JR's first was such a good finish. No else at the club capable of that type of 'goal' IMO.

On 15/12/2019 at 14:14, Bluesteel said:

Pace, aggression and strength in the core of the team is a must and goes a long way in English football. You need that bit of quality on the ball too of course but it’s something Carvalhal refused to acknowledge. You can’t do it with technical players only. 

When you win playing flowing passing football it’s as good as it gets. But likewise going to Burton and getting bundled over isn’t fun either. This approach is much more consistent and harder to deal with. 

Leeds are doing it this year, Fulham did it. It certainly can be done. 

On 17/12/2019 at 14:55, NorthernOwl said:

Leeds are doing it this year, Fulham did it. It certainly can be done. 

It can, but not very often. Leeds ran out of steam last year and fulham have that extra financial clout to have the quality. 

Brentford and us under CC are an example of what usually happens.

Just now, dorian gray said:

l**ds did it last year, and the year before...

and won what we won under coco.

Yes and they responded by committing to the cause even more (ditching the physical Janson) and they are 10 points clear in the auto zone. Be a brave man to bet against them going up this time around.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for pace and power. I just don't agree that there is only one way to play to get out of the league.

12 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yes and they responded by committing to the cause even more (ditching the physical Janson) and they are 10 points clear in the auto zone. Be a brave man to bet against them going up this time around.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for pace and power. I just don't agree that there is only one way to play to get out of the league.

l**ds have 'blown up' more than once, and this season isn't over yet.

who was it they ripped a 'new un' at the w/e?

wasn't it 10 man Cardiff, with l**ds 3-0 up?  yet managed to drag a draw from the 'jaws of victory' yet again.

there is more than one way to get out of the division, but it isn't effing about with it inside your own half all the time.

Edited by dorian gray

Just now, dorian gray said:

l**ds have 'blown up' more than once, and this season isn't over yet.

who was it they ripped a 'new un' at the w/e?

wasn't it 10 man Cardiff, with l**ds 3-0 up?  yet managed to drag a draw from the 'jaws of victory' yet again.

there is more than one way to get out of the division, but it isn't effing about with it inside your own half all the time.

They are currently 1/12 on for promotion. If you really think they will mess it up there is a fortune for you to make by laying them.

Last weeks result aside they are still on track for 100 points this season. So every reason to think their style of play is working just fine.

We play how we play, partly because of the manager, but mainly because of the players at his disposal. Our style is limited, but not as basic as Cardiff for example. In fact, only Cardiff of the sides playing that way, have achieved promotion in recent times. 

I’m hopeful we can refine things a little, come January, while maintaining an ability to use more traditional means We do still have players who are good on the ball, and with better players ahead of them, we can get the most out of them

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

They are currently 1/12 on for promotion. If you really think they will mess it up there is a fortune for you to make by laying them.

Last weeks result aside they are still on track for 100 points this season. So every reason to think their style of play is working just fine.

sounds as though you're quite itk about the boys from bellend road, spending some time there?

their 'style of play' may, or may not work for them in the end, as promotion is a season long battle with very few victors at the end of the season.

but 'their 'style of play' won't be bogged down by coco's bullshit as we once were.

as modern football's' ****ing about with it inside your own half is NOT 'TOTAL FOOTBALL' it's TOTAL B0LL0X.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We play how we play, partly because of the manager, but mainly because of the players at his disposal. Our style is limited, but not as basic as Cardiff for example. In fact, only Cardiff of the sides playing that way, have achieved promotion in recent times. 

I’m hopeful we can refine things a little, come January, while maintaining an ability to use more traditional means We do still have players who are good on the ball, and with better players ahead of them, we can get the most out of them

our 'best players on the ball' need to be our forwards, and start knocking 5+ a game in (i'll have abet on us going up then, and with increased crowds).

having good defenders will stop the opposition and help us win the game (again worth a bet on us going up).

the m/f will support the attack and defence as and when required, what will NOT help in any way is any part of the side effing about with it passing it around for the sake of passing it, and inviting the opposition forwards to close our defenders down when on the ball.

the dingles came and 'exhibited' their 'modern football', they had 70% possession, YES 70%.

they were ****ing awful, even their own fans are smart enough to say so when I hear them. 

undoubtedly 'some' in our support would be 'knocking one out' over their choice of 'style of play' as 'style of play' is all that matters to the 'mfb', it matters above victory (though they rarely admit it openly).

they're not sheffield wednesday fans, they are football fans, they need to be ignored.

7 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

our 'best players on the ball' need to be our forwards, and start knocking 5+ a game in (i'll have abet on us going up then, and with increased crowds).

having good defenders will stop the opposition and help us win the game (again worth a bet on us going up).

the m/f will support the attack and defence as and when required, what will NOT help in any way is any part of the side effing about with it passing it around for the sake of passing it, and inviting the opposition forwards to close our defenders down when on the ball.

the dingles came and 'exhibited' their 'modern football', they had 70% possession, YES 70%.

they were ****ing awful, even their own fans are smart enough to say so when I hear them. 

undoubtedly 'some' in our support would be 'knocking one out' over their choice of 'style of play' as 'style of play' is all that matters to the 'mfb', it matters above victory (though they rarely admit it openly).

they're not sheffield wednesday fans, they are football fans, they need to be ignored.

Yes, I don’t think anyone would champion passing for the sake of it. Agree, up front is where we need that extra quality, and if the media are to be believed, that’s exactly where we are looking to upgrade. You will see all the top sides now, mixing it up, and not afraid to pass it long when needed Both Liverpool, and City, use such an approach Having said that, using only one form of attack, would make you predictable, and easier to defend against